IT.COM

Are Sedo buyer and seller ratings necessary?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nikul Sanghvi

hypernames.coVIP Member
Impact
Something that I've noticed recently...

The more that I spend on Sedo, the higher my rating appears as a buyer. Having increased my buying activity over the last two years, my rating has been showing as 4 or 5 yellow bars out of 5.

As a result of this, I've noticed that counteroffers from sellers tend to be super aggressive.
Many sellers look at my rating and assume that I'm willing to splash megabucks. This has actually led to me spending less on Sedo and in some cases, I've explored alternative buying methods such as an email to the Whois.

It's a double-edged sword, because as a seller, I always look at the buyer rating along with the date that they've joined Sedo. As an example from a recent sale that I made, I guessed that the user was an end-user because their start date was very recent and their buyer rating was zero. This meant I was also more aggressive with pricing - which made me slightly uncomfortable from a perspective of ethics.

Open to hearing everyone's thoughts:
Does this hinder or help the productivity of the marketplace? Is it even necessary?
Do the ratings increase pricing discrimination, unfairly impacting both end-users and wholesale buyers?
What purpose do seller ratings serve in a market place that has an Escrow process baked in, mitigating some of the need for trust (compared to somewhere like eBay, where they are essential)?
I've never been put off by a low seller rating, because the only thing that matters is the domain itself and the price. Has anyone felt otherwise?

@Sedo - also keen to get your official perspective. Hopefully this is useful as feedback.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My Opinion? It's not needed at all.

There is too much unnecessary info showing on a SEDO sales-page that the only thing it does is confuse the potential buyer.

Page should include the name (obviously), an optional description, methods of payment and -maybe- the age.. that's all.

Stats (no reason to show stats when no stats exist), where the buyer is from (there is a lot of prejudice in the world, we definitely don't need that), when did they join SEDO, how much money they spend or how many sales they do are totally irrelevant to the domain.

Thank you for bringing this up

•••
I have to agree. I don't see any point in that info either

•••
All this personal info about the Seller should not be publicly visible definitely.

•••
Also I don't like that when receiving funds from Sedo via wire - they publish the domain names (in the description/comment field for bank transaction)... Another lack of privacy.

•••
Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, I'm specifically referring to the 'Activity Index' rather than the data shown on a listing page or the Domain Value Indicators feature which I think is also pretty useless.

Your own Activity Index is visible on the My Sedo portal.

During negotiations, information about a seller or buyer is available by clicking on 'Information about the [Seller/Buyer]' on the Bid Thread Details view which opens a 'Meet the Buyer' or 'Meet the Seller' window or tab.

As far as I'm aware, these details are only visible to both parties once a bid has been submitted.

Last edited:
•••
Activity Index is absolutely unnecessary stats.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, I'm specifically referring to the 'Activity Index' rather than the data shown on a listing page or the Domain Value Indicators feature which I think is also pretty useless.

Your own Activity Index is visible on the My Sedo portal.

During negotiations, information about a seller or buyer is available by clicking on 'Information about the [Seller/Buyer]' on the Bid Thread Details view which opens a 'Meet the Buyer' or 'Meet the Seller' window or tab.

As far as I'm aware, these details are only visible once:
A) The potential buyer has submitted at least one bid
Or B) You have submitted an opening bid to the seller

My Apologies. You are right; the rating *does not* appear on the sales page.

For some reason I was sure that the rating appeared there and I thought it was the lander you referred to... maybe it was on the old sales-template and I got confused.

thanks for clearing that up

•••
Yes, activity was published previously (before they redesigned Offer page).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back