Dynadot

Are invoices really needed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do we need invoices?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, always.

votes
    28.6%
  • Yes, only after payment is made.

votes
    28.6%
  • No.

votes
    42.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

topdom

Top Member
Impact
I think invoices are totally useless, except for blocking some ugly games, for example you may know if you sold to the enduser at the end, and if not, the middleman would be exposed.

At Sedo, anyone can see your location.
"buyers" know your name and address even if they don't pay, and they can post fake name and address.
Sellers can try to learn buyers' name and address by requesting invoice, but it may not be posted, also how can you check if it is real.

I think buyers should know nothing about sellers until they make the payment.
Buyers' and sellers' situation is not symmetric. There is one domain, and its seller is the same person whoever buys it, but the buyer can be anyone. Sellers need to know about buyers to maximize sale price (maximum price means fair price), but buyers shouldn't know anything about sellers, they can learn something by checking whois (nameservers, website history etc), sending email..

Current situation is like this. Someone calls me, and asks me who I'm. This is not fair, and kills this business, and make some evil people enjoy stealing sellers' data and more.

Recently Sedo cancelled many users after they place a bid. I ask why you cancel them,.. they don't say anything.

Someone places a $20 bid, I know it is fake, but I can't cancel it. If I counter 1K, they would accept it, and not pay, just make me wait for months, and prevent me from selling it to others.

Solution is simple: require refundable $10 , and don't give it back if the buyer cheats.
And also don't show seller's info until payment is made.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Recently Sedo cancelled many users after they place a bid. I ask why you cancel them,.. they don't say anything.

What does that have to do with invoices?

•••
What does that have to do with invoices?

The main question is , whether buyers and sellers should know about eachother before payment.

If I know something about the "buyer", I could guess whether he is real. Otherwise I may just think, this buyer is an enduser with low budget, and may prefer to sell even if the price is low. But if the buyer is a middleman, this means actual potential even in the short run can be much higher, and I won't sell for low price.

And actually there are many fake bidders and buyers, and flippers/middlemen who are only conditionally serious and are trying to sell domains they don't own, and sometimes they are caught by Sedo. Sometimes they are "caught", only when they buy but don't pay.

So in short:

-Buyers should know nothing about sellers. They can learn something from whois and landing page and this should be more than enough.

-Sellers should know something about buyers.

Let's say I have my own marketplace. Can I hide my data: yes. Can I learn something about the buyer, like IP: yes. So these are seller's fundamental rights. Marketplaces are there just to take commissions and handle transactions securely. They shouldn't decide how much buyers and sellers should know about eachother. Just before payment a racist european buyer learns that the seller is from nigeria, and says, this must be a nigerian scammer, and not pay.... Marketplaces shouldn't manipulate sales by deciding who knows what.

Last edited:
•••
•••
This is why (edit - or one of the many reasons) I have this guy on ignore..... some off topic rant even though he started the topic

Waste of time.......

Last edited:
•••
Well, we don't always need to provide invoices, but some of my buyers have requested invoices even through Sedo sales and I don't have an issue with accommodating them. They have their reasons and who are we to question them?

•••
If you want to sell domains to large companies you need to learn about invoicing. In order for a company representative buying names on behalf of a company you will need to invoice even though you haven't got the money this is not a recept but a pro rata invoice. Once you have issued an invoice your customer can go back to their company to allocate the funds. This is all part of the selling process. This isn't just for domains this is for any item of value your trying to sell a company. I have issued invoices for lots of things in order to sell them.

•••
When you use a marketplace like Godaddy or Sedo auctions once the customer has clicked to buy the seller will be revealed to the buyer though the invoicing process. This all happens the invoicing in background and eventually you get your money when everything clears weeks later. Most 4 figure or more sales will ask for an invoice before you have their money.

•••
Then marketplaces should provide invoices in their own company name, otherwise buyers steal contact data & discrimnate & not pay & waste our time.

Or buyers should be forced to pay 1 percent or $10 before getting an invoice and sellers' data.

Last edited:
•••
Then marketplaces should provide invoices in their own company name, otherwise buyers steal contact data & discrimnate & not pay & waste our time.

Or buyers should be forced to pay 1 percent or $10 before getting an invoice and sellers' data.
Lot of laws and hurdles as they are acting as a broker and it is still peer to peer sales.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back