Dynadot

Are hyphen domains worth it?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just wondering if hyphen domains are worth buying simply because it's a fairly common phrase. For example, would you buy drop-ship.com or video-games.com just because it's a commonly used 2 word phrase (not necessarily just for paid parking)? Would the domain be of any value if I decided to just drop the project? I have an idea for a commonly used 2 word phrase, and I don't want to do much promoting for it. Any thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I personally wouldn't think you would get much type in traffic. I would never think to type in a hyphen let alone people that know little or nothing about domains (not saying I know much :p). But if it's an idea you think could be marketable I'd say go for it! B-)

•••
I think it really depends on the phrase - Though hyphenated domains are generally considered less desireable for Selling/Development , they do work for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) a lot of times. If it is a high paying term in ppc - It may be worth parking or some slight development .... But I wouldn't go overboard with it knowing there is a good chance I'll never own the regular form of it.
(PS - also make sure it is a Generic Non TM term as well)

•••
Hmm, personally I don't buy hyphen site because they do receive less traffic on most occasions and are harder to sell. I woulnd't recommend them, unless you found a really nice term.

•••
If the name is NOT a natural type-in, it actually does not matter a lot.
If the name has traffic based on other factors (links, SE) that brings appropriate value to it.
But, anything else is left to your marketing efforts, regardles of name, tld, etc.

•••
depends on the name... like e-mail would be a good one.. same with web-based

•••
I own 3 but they don't have much value.

•••
Personally I would only consider a hypen type name where the hyphen was actually part of the name e.g. a site for a company that had a hyphenated name e.g. their real name was something like "best-buys inc", or a dictionary word that is hyphenated in common usage, or perhaps a hyphenated family name. Otherwise I dont think they have any real value. At one stage there was the fad of i-xxxxx e-xxxxx type domains but that seems to have faded away somewhat.

•••
I own webdesign-talk.com seems to get members :kickass:

•••
Thanks everyone. Helped me make up my mind. I'm going to invest time/money into a better domain. :)

•••
For SEO hyphen domains with big overture numbers are worth alot, like online-poker.com I would say is worth alot. Hyphen domains are really about SEO and can be worth alot.

•••
Main purpose is SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION ans using hypens is important in this case. very effective for implementing keywords

•••
Search enigne traffic is always worth more than type in traffic ;D

•••
cmos said:
Search enigne traffic is always worth more than type in traffic ;D
yes true

i have http://best-loans-online.info and this is one of my biggest parked ppc earner... lots of traffic and clicks and I wouldn't sell this one under $1000

so sometimes, it's worth it

•••
netPH said:
yes true

i have http://best-loans-online.info and this is one of my biggest parked ppc earner... lots of traffic and clicks and I wouldn't sell this one under $1000

so sometimes, it's worth it

Hi,

I'm new to earning thru parked domains ... so I'm just reading thru the threads trying to learn a bit.

I've been developing sites since 99 and have about a hundred unused names ... some of which are pretty good.

Help me understand something ...

With a site like you just mentioned ... best-loans-online.info ... a hyphenated .info

am i to understand that you simply bought the name, changed dns at registrar and then ... do the search engines spider the page and list it and you thereby get a little traffic?

Or was there some other promotion / effort involved? Was there no prior website with this url?

Many Thanks

•••
Hyphened domains show up good in searches. Say someone searches for "buy dogfood online" if you had buy-dog-food-online.com you would probably be listed before buydogfoodonline.com would be. It sees the hyphens as spaces and gives the domain keyword capabilities.

•••
If your plan is to park it, no, if your plan is to develop it it depends what the words are.

•••
hyphen names are good for parking, but the resell value is crap if it has no traffic

•••
1rrr1 said:
hyphen names are good for parking, but the resell value is crap if it has no traffic

Hyphenated domains should receive little or no type-ins. I had always thought ppc profits from parked domains were only genrated from type-ins and from former established sites.

Can one simply buy a good hyphenated ... change dns to domain hop and expect the resulting page to be listed at SEs well enough to get traffic? That's what I'd like to know?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back