Dynadot

information Are All The Good Domains Taken?

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Surprisingly, this is a very controversial question. It plays a central part right now in a big lawsuit, where Verisign (they run the .com domain system) is suing XYZ.com (they run the .xyz domain system) and its CEO Daniel Negari for among other things talking badly about .com domains. Verisign specifically takes issue with the promotional video XYZ.com posted on their site where they say “With over 120 million .coms registered today, it’s impossible to find the domain name that you want.” Obviously it is not really “impossible,” but the question at hand is how true that statement really is. Is XYZ.com just exaggerating a little like many ads do or are they being disparaging?
I consider finding the right domain name to be a skill. Like Googling is a skill. Many times people will search for something in a search engine and not find what they are looking for, but I can find it within seconds. The same goes for .com domains. You just need to know how to look...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"Taken" is a relative term. Are all of the good domains registered, yes. Can the be bought, auctioned, or drop caught? Of course!

Daniel Negari and exaggerating go hand-in-hand when it comes to domain names. The squeakiest wheel gets the oil I guess.

•••
"Taken" is a relative term. Are all of the good domains registered, yes.

The "super premium" are maybe all registered.
But a lot of hand-reg domains are sold on a daily basis on website like BrandBucket for between 1K-5K.
So "good domains" is also a very relative term.

•••
But a lot of hand-reg domains are sold on a daily basis on website like BrandBucket for between 1K-5K.

This can be true, I do find that the higher tier brandables are picked up at auction or drop caught more so than hand registration right now.

I agree, there are certainly diamonds in the rough in the handreg market.

•••
@DomainVP - I agree with your Diamonds in the Rough comment.

•••
Keep in mind that an end user is looking for a specific domain and in dot com they probably are all taken.

A domainer is looking for any good name and some will become available for some reason. So they are not all taken.

In the real estate world if you want to get a really good deal you look for the deal first and then see if you can do anything with the property.

Retail real estate buyers look for the property first and then try to negotiate a deal. That usually doesn't work so well.

•••
i think the domain market will always have a turnover of names coming and going from the market itself so there'll always be something out there if you are prepared to look

•••
There will always be good names waiting to be discovered. If you think about it, .com has only reached saturation with 4 letter words, plenty of 5 letter combinations left. And now with the market being flooded with new TLDs, no way we gonna run out of good domain names anytime soon.

•••
Perhaps the right question would be, "Is investing in domain names in 2015 something which at a portfolio level is likely to produce a favorable return (compared to alternative investments or uses of one's limited and valuable time)?

•••
I read once that really successful bankers are those who figure out how to make loans to customers where the perceived risk is much higher than the actual risk. In those situations they can charge high rates based on perceived risk. Their actual risk is much lower because of specialized knowledge about the market or some combination of additional factors.

Domain speculation seems much like that.

Lots of room for different opinions about what is real of course; which is what makes a market.

•••
Are All The Good Domains Taken?

•••
Of course not. You'd be surprised how good of domains become available off the drop sometimes...

•••
Of course not, ya still got .moe

•••
The "super premium" are maybe all registered.
good point

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back