NameSilo

discuss Appraisals 2018 What do they mean? How can they help?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I own about 1,850 domains of all kinds that appraise for a little over 1.5 Million dollars. I use a combination of appraisals from Go Daddy and Estibot to value my portfolio. What I find hard to believe is that I just found another company, Nokta Domains, that if I were to run all my domains through their appraisal program, I'm sure my portfolio would appraise for a little over 3 Million dollars.

I asked the question in the title of this thread...What do they mean? It's my opinion they mean very little, but I do find them good enough to rate or score my domains compared to others. Generally, the higher the appraisal from someone like GD, the better the domain:xf.wink:

So how can they help?...if you're lucky enough to be able to meet and speak with a lot of end users, appraisals can be a powerful enough tool to help close a deal. How do I know? I'll tell you...but you know what I'll have to do if I tell you:xf.wink:

Seriously, I was just telling someone who sent me a DM that end user "domain education" is, and will be the key to my success in this industry. I'm employing sales strategy and sales technique that have proven successful for over 100 years, and selling domains is absolutely no different than selling houses, auto's, boats, computers, B2B or B2C products or services. Common sense, and Sales and Marketing 101 is by far the best teacher.

How do you see industry appraisals helping you to make better buys?... better sales? Thanks, and have a great week. Cheers!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's not a newly discovered idea.. It's a universal truth that domain appraisals are worthless and almost evry domainer knows this.
I was talking in terms of 'theory of relativity'.

So, the question isn't, which is the best appraisal service; the question is, which appraisal is the 'least garbage'.

Namebio is popular among domainers coz it shows past sales. Therefore, I like GD appraisals, coz it shows us similar past sales. (Sometimes, sales which are not listed on Namebio). Whereas, I cud never figure out how estibot operates and why sites like Namejet displays estibot valuation..!!

But no doubt, appraisals are in general worthless.
I concur with most of your observations about appraisals. It seems that you use them the same way I use them:xf.wink: Comparison data combined with "like" sales adds value to the "garbage". I hand registered a dynamite domain a few hours ago whose comparison sales ranged from 2K to 7K.

•••
It's not a newly discovered idea.. It's a universal truth that domain appraisals are worthless and almost evry domainer knows this.
I was talking in terms of 'theory of relativity'.

So, the question isn't, which is the best appraisal service; the question is, which appraisal is the 'least garbage'.

if domain appraisals are worthless and almost every domainer knows it...
then there is nothing left to question.
:)

but I get what you're saying

even so, when you decide which one has the 'least garbage'
then you give that one some cred, over the others

cuz, the cycle has started.
and now it's in perpetual motion.

there was a time, when domainers didn't rely on past sales, to price their own domains.

now to some extent, those sales results have 'set the bar' on pricing.

and very few are willing to push the envelope and spring above the bar.

imo....

•••
if domain appraisals are worthless and almost every domainer knows it...
then there is nothing left to question.
:)

but I get what you're saying

even so, when you decide which one has the 'least garbage'
then you give that one some cred, over the others

cuz, the cycle has started.
and now it's in perpetual motion.

there was a time, when domainers didn't rely on past sales, to price their own domains.

now to some extent, those sales results have 'set the bar' on pricing.

and very few are willing to push the envelope and spring above the bar.

imo....

I completely agree with you. We should fight the 'herd mentality' of following others (sales).
We should not underestimate our potential based on the low achievements/ambition of a few others...!!
Thanks
Now I am gonna raise prices of some of my domains. :xf.grin:

Maybe, sometimes people are in loss not because of low sales but because of their low sales price..!!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back