NameSilo

report .app/.com cross-zone analysis

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kate

Domainosaurus RexTop Member
Impact
In this exercise we are going to compare .app registrations against .com.
The same exercise can be applied to other nTLDs.

Materials needed:
  • .com zone file
  • .app zone file
I used today's zone files.
The counts are as follows:
  • .com: 133051790 unique domains
  • .app: 198097 unique domains
The goal is simple. For every .app domain registered and found in the .app zone file, let's find out if the .com 'counterpart' is registered. For the purpose of this analysis the counterpart means this: domain + 'app' + .com
For example if abc.app is registered, we check if abcapp.com is registered. We could also check if abc.com is registered, as there must be a few domains registered in .app that are available in .com (and other extensions) :xf.wink:

I will spare you with the scripting here, and cut to the chase.
Out of 198097 .app domains, 45876 'counterparts' are found in the .com zone file. That is 23.16%.
The difference is 76.84%. So that means that three quarters of all registered .app domains are not registered in their .com 'equivalents', if only for defensive registration purposes.

In my humble opinion, it is not a good idea to register a nTLD while leaving the .com counterpart unregistered. Why: bleeding traffic, defensive registration etc.

Also, buying something.app when somethingapp.com is not even registered suggests that it is a dubious investment in the first place, because the demand for the combo does not even exist in .com.
Again, just imho.

Besides, the vast majority of registered domain in .app probably don't make sense, and are not really usable for any practical purpose.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Facts:

1. Most apps don't use word app as part of their domain. It is instagram.com not instagramapp.com or instagram.app

2. Having app name plus word app basically means I could not afford proper .com or could not come up with proper branding

Instagram is primarily an app. Many features are not available on desktop.

Many apps also have Web functionality, but they still are known as an app.

Regarding short, most short and nice are already unavailable in .app, including dictionary meaningful, 2l, 3l and on top have premium pricing.

Well said.

•••
I am not sure how .WEB would be different from an .COM. .COMs are already synonymous ( and king) with internet. .APP on the other hand is distinct. It is a homepage only for Apps. There are thousands of APPs which do not have a homepage and and, are present in the App marketplace. .APP gives them an homepage, an identity on the internet.

Well yes agreed! I too don't like .WEB much to think of it.... initially when I thought google won it I thought it would make an impact with personal web pages of some kind (has to have a unique proposition like .APP).

Totally agree on the .APP usage... its going to be adopted quickly is my take too! From development perspective I find it very attractive as I can have specific websites for my apps even if I don't own the .COM... which doesn't really matter coz the APPs would be shown to be made by my existing .COM brand. Reverse view, I don't think the .COM owners of known apps however need to purchase the .APP unless they are generic words that they are paranoid about losing traffic to a new player with a better app possibly.

Last edited:
•••
How do you get a copy of the zone files?

•••
•••
...the vast majority of registered domain in .app probably don't make sense, and are not really usable for any practical purpose.

Well, if you consider that a TLD has a purpose besides marketing and popularity, you might think otherwise. For .app, having a secure way to enable browser non-ecosystem programs to migrate from the Microsoft desktop to non OS specific devices, it’s a game changer.

•••
.app its just a new .mobi/.tel ;)

•••
Some TLDs will have more of a purpose. For .app, you need to agree that you will use https. Because apps will run on .app. It’s not just about marketing your “app” on .app. TLDs are designed for function, for resource location.

So no real game changer.

•••
So no real game changer.

Hmmm, the reason why Google will not have “conflict of interest” by being the domainate search engine that owns a TLD (.app) that will integrate DNSSEC, HTTPS and other security features is important. What is good for Google is good for the US. Google’s dominance isn’t just a couple of guys from Standford, wake up. Domainers are the grease on the rails. Who profits and who gets run over is a matter of foresight.

•••
IMO Google is planning to alter this and give a defined structure to App search results. Frankly, it is long ovedue. Having a .app is the easiest way to resolve this and create a structure.

How are they going to do this when there are no restrictions on who can register the TLD, or on how it can be used?

With security (https) and a structure in place, Apps will be much more safer to use and easy to find.

I've always found apps very easily on the Play Store or the App Store. Those platforms are both safe and easy to use. I don't understand how, as an app user, I'm going to benefit from looking up apps via Google, which will redirect be toward various .app sites, which will in turn redirect me toward the established platforms for downloading apps... Where's the user experience in adding all those extra steps?

In my mind, the .app names make the most sense as a TLD that app developers can use to showcase their skills and portfolios. However, as an app user, I couldn't give two craps about that! Just show me the apps so I can download and use them!

Individual users like you and me drive the app market, and we aren't going to care about .app.

Last edited:
•••
Heck just this past week sold two names that aren’t even domains but act like one within Instagram for more than 75,000 for a total of two names.

Does anybody else hear those crickets...?

•••
Hahaha it’s okay, wish I could hop on the .net garage sales for $10 you do on these forums.
😂😂😂😂

No no, don't do that. Stick with boasting about fictional sales. That's all the rage on the forum these days.

•••
Thanks for sharing the two interesting analyses, @Kate! I learned a lot, both from the analysis and how zone data can be obtained.

While many (me included!) have been excited about the APP launch and lauded Google in general, one thing that should be concerning is that the vast majority of APPs (there are 6 million + altogether, Android + iOS +....) have not yet registered their name in APP. i.e. I have an app called widget but widget.app is not yet registered.

The optimistic way to look at this is that there is lot of potential for APP registration growth.

The pessimistic way is to think that many will decide that their .com, .io, .net, cc, etc. is all they need and not a huge amount more growth will happen.

Bob

•••
Thanks for sharing the two interesting analyses, @Kate! I learned a lot, both from the analysis and how zone data can be obtained.

While many (me included!) have been excited about the APP launch and lauded Google in general, one thing that should be concerning is that the vast majority of APPs (there are 6 million + altogether, Android + iOS +....) have not yet registered their name in APP. i.e. I have an app called widget but widget.app is not yet registered.

The optimistic way to look at this is that there is lot of potential for APP registration growth.

The pessimistic way is to think that many will decide that their .com, .io, .net, cc, etc. is all they need and not a huge amount more growth will happen.

Bob
Widget.app was registered on May 8th
upload_2018-5-16_10-59-48.png

•••
@Joe Nichols I am unsure what do you mean by "...finding apps very easily on Play Store..". If you open Play Store and search for 'Live Soccer', you will find atleast 30 apps titled exactly 'Live Soccer'. How do you know which one needs to be downloaded? If a friend had recommended you to download 'Live Soccer' app, which one will you download of the 30+ apps?

And how would that experience be made better thanks to .app...??

•••
I reckon they'd struggle, because they own .APP and they've been in trouble before for favouring their own services and search results over others. They can however attempt to influence people to start using .APP domains.

If a keyword like app is used they could introduce a app section which could help a lot. Doesn’t need to be the search result

•••
Interesting information @Kate.

I only have a handful of .app domains, but was happy to see the majority were already registered in .com. (DN + "app" .com)

•••
IMO Google should plan to give results based on .app extension. Eg, if keyword 'Live Soccer' is being searched, livesoccer.app should appear first, followed by other apps closely matching the keyword. This is a structured way results should throw up. .app should be the way an app is identified. Similarly, there are lakhs of apps which are tough to find as they have similarly named apps. This is a big opportunity for Google to systemize it.
So essentially you're saying we should go back to the days of EMDs getting a bump in SERPs? And How would it compare to live-soccer.app, live.app (which can be used for live soccer), soccer.app, soccerlive.app and so on? Which one should be placed first and on what basis? Assuming they're all developed with related or the similar content (hypothetical exercise)? Based on your logic, none of the others should rank high even if one of them is superior to the rest. Where should EPLLiveSoccer.app appear for live soccer? Or what about livefootball.app and so on?

Oh and what about if an app does not have the matching .app domain but is really really well designed with high quality official live feeds, no ads, no malware and uses a brandable name with no live or soccer in it's name itself. It should not show up at all right?

•••
•••
But Joe.. those were the good old days. :)
Ha ha! That's what I've heard Dave. I'm sorry to have missed them. I was just reading another post from you about yoir college days of making easy money with good keyword domains (I believe it was you).

Oh what the heck. Maybe I'll go reg a few long-tail .app names just for the heck of it. :)

•••
No no, don't do that.

The reason they had such value back in the day was because of SEO. If you had a domain with the exact keywords people were searching for, it was guaranteed top 3 spot on Google even with the most minimal website. Heavy weighting factor. So if somebody searched for "over 50s life insurance" and you owned Over50sLifeInsurance.com, could throw up a lead gen one page site with a form.

Of course Google clamped down on that around 2010 or so (can't quite remember the year).

Thanks

Oh I know, I was just trying to be funny. I won't be regging any .app names. New gTLDs scare me. :)

•••
•••
Keywords?

List is full of mostly garbage.com and gibberish.com

SLD or whatever you want to call it. You said list full of garbage.com, but isn't a list full of garbage.app that are even available in .com :xf.grin:

•••
Interesting study Kate! (y)

Google is just getting a piece of the "domaining" pie that so many registries are cashing in on (Smart move I feel). I don't think they will use it in either of the scenarios mentioned. However .APP does sound better than much of the junk out there but heavily depends on usage by app developers (who would obviously go for the .COM - if they don't already have it - as soon as they generate enough money). Everyone investing in NGTLDs know that they are gambling unless they have actual development plans. Defensive registrations/purchases by paranoid end users is the only way these gambles can pay off right now imho.

Doesn't Google own the .WEB extension too?... waiting to see what they do with it!! :xf.wink:
I am not sure how .WEB would be different from an .COM. .COMs are already synonymous ( and king) with internet. .APP on the other hand is distinct. It is a homepage only for Apps. There are thousands of APPs which do not have a homepage and and, are present in the App marketplace. .APP gives them an homepage, an identity on the internet.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back