IT.COM

Any Idea Where to Sell .VIP's?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bowieboiii

Established Member
Impact
Who's buying them (if anyone)?

Might anyone have any theories as to whether or not they will be worth something in the near future (if they're not already)?

Any record of recent sales...?

Could this really be... another question? (Jk (...?) )

Thank you, to whomever may be listening!

Much love.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Any Idea Where to Sell .VIP's?

maybe you can sell them back to the registrar

Good Luck!

imo....

•••
Some guy is asking for help and asking a question on a domaining forum, and your freaking answer is "You should have figured out before buying any"! This is not even an answer, this is trolling.

If you're going to reply to these help requests, stop trolling and help people with your know-how and technical skills. You're not helping.

Hi

@Kate makes a very valid point.

you don't buy something you plan to resell, without knowing where to do it, or how that can be done or if there is even any demand for the product/services you are offering.

.don't just read the lines, try to read what's in between them, as well.

imo....

•••
Even if you bought premiums on first day of general availability, dot VIP will be a rough road for a long time. Good Luck
goodluck.gif

•••
Q Any idea where to sell .vip's?
A In a time called 'future' ;)
Or alternate reality perhaps ?

Q. Any Idea Where to Sell .VIP's?
A. You should have figured out before buying any

New extensions are selling :lookaround:, but the problem is that the seller is almost always the registry.

•••
Hi

@Kate makes a very valid point.

you don't buy something you plan to resell, without knowing where to do it, or how that can be done or if there is even any demand for the product/services you are offering.

.don't just read the lines, try to read what's in between them, as well.

imo....

Looking at your answers on this topic, it's very clear that you and Kate are two of the biggest trolls on this board. It's useless for you to try to protect her, the evidence is clear.

Stop trolling, if you're not going to help other people by giving them non-sarcastic, helpful answers, go and do something useful for your lives You people really look pathetic trolling around.

•••
Looking at your answers on this topic, it's very clear that you and Kate are two of the biggest trolls on this board. It's useless for you to try to protect her, the evidence is clear.
I know I am not the most diplomatic person, but I'd rather tell it like it is... domainers are putting the cart before the horse. You don't buy a name to resell it, without doing research about the current market.

Of course you have good intentions, but I am not sure your comments are really more helpful. Saying that patience is needed, it's too early to say anything,... it's wishful thinking and that has never produced good results in new extensions as a rule. I'd rather be the devil's advocate. Naysayers are more often right than wrong :|

They don't tell him the sites he can use to list or auction his domains. They don't answer any of the actual questions. This is trolling and these people are trolls no matter how experienced domainers they are!
It's the never-ending question: where can I sell my domains ? What is the best place for selling domains ? The answer is always the same: list your names on all the platforms: Sedo, GD etc
But if there are no buyers this is pointless anyway. This is something that the OP must be ready to accept.

PS: what I've said is true. The registry is pretty much the only one making sales. This is not specific to .vip though. Good luck anyway.

•••
This is a just another nTLD with classical lifecycle: tons of regs >>> tons of drops >>> the end.
And the only one winners: Registry and Registrars.

Last edited:
•••
What is good about that? A market where domain renewal prices are controlled by the registry is a market where the species domainers will soon become extinct? And we should buy into it?

If you want to adapt you make sure that you don't finance your competition.

The domain game in the new Gs is a game that is played by the registries. This is not a market or an opportunity designed for you.

The only reason why domainers are still allowed to play it(to a certain extent as many or most of the good domains are already reserved or premium priced) is because end-user demand isn't simply there for many of the lower quality domains. That is why they need domainers to buy domains that are worth less than regfee.

If demand from end-users were ever to go up you would soon see the regfee domains to be premium priced too.

A recent example. .

XYZ used to be free for everyone with no premium pricing when they launched. As they would enjoy a certain degree of success and domainers started to register even lower quality domains, better .XYZ were suddenly premium priced. Now you pay $15k/year for any 2L for example and $xxxx for a better keyword.

Basically the free for everyone was a nice PR stunt. Once they had reached their goal they got greedy and priced domainers out of the game.

Now what would happen to regfee priced domains if .XYZ became even more popular?

They would again rise prices so that only domains that are worth less than regfee are available for domainers.

You can see how the game is played and will continue to be played.

Basically many of the new Gs depend on suckers financing their operations. If they survive thanks to domainers financing and become successful, will they thank domainers for the financial support and hand them over free domains or will they price them out of the market?
It's like one of those workout supplement pyramid scheme companies; the registries on top always win selling their domains, yet speculators almost always lose money trying to sell the domains themselves.

•••
It's not trolling dude, it's how all business ever in the history of any existence has been conducted. What a concept; knowing where to sell your inventory. Don't blame your lack of savvy on experienced domainers giving real advice.

It's like buying a lawnmower when you don't have a yard. If you think it's trolling that people are telling you that you should know where to sell the inventory which you bought with the intent on selling, then you probably entered the wrong business. Learn to take advice, because being offended doesn't make your point right.

It's not me in need of help and asking questions. And these are not proper answers to a newbie's questions. This is trolling.

If these trolls are experienced domainers, they can either choose not to answer newbie questions or try to help them by answering them with respect. Now look at these answers to the questions @bowieboiii very kindly asked;

"maybe you can sell them back to the registrar"
"You should have figured out before buying any"

Now these "experienced" domainers do not know what domains the newbie has. They don't even ask him what domains he has. They don't tell him the sites he can use to list or auction his domains. They don't answer any of the actual questions. This is trolling and these people are trolls no matter how experienced domainers they are!

•••
even .net the 2. biggest extension has a very hard time selling for a decent amount of money.

Now for an unknown extension like .VIP it will be much much harder.

Usually all domains are sold the same as .com - There are no secrets. You contact potential end-users or you list them for sale in a marketplaceand wait for offers or you sell them to another domainer.

Most of the .VIP buyers today are domainers that do not know what they are doing so the best way to sell a newly registered .VIP would be to sell to another domainer.

If anyone here says that he/she knows what the future for a certain gTLD is, he/she should definitely see a shrink.

I predict that most people will never know what .onl stands for or want any. Do I qualify for a shrink visit?

Last edited:
•••
Hats of to: Individual investors willing to participate in efforts to expand and adapt to a changing market. win or lose.

What is good about that? A market where domain renewal prices are controlled by the registry is a market where the species domainers will soon become extinct? And we should buy into it?

If you want to adapt you make sure that you don't finance your competition.

The domain game in the new Gs is a game that is played by the registries. This is not a market or an opportunity designed for you.

The only reason why domainers are still allowed to play it(to a certain extent as many or most of the good domains are already reserved or premium priced) is because end-user demand isn't simply there for many of the lower quality domains. That is why they need domainers to buy domains that are worth less than regfee.

If demand from end-users were ever to go up you would soon see the regfee domains to be premium priced too.

A recent example. .

XYZ used to be free for everyone with no premium pricing when they launched. As they would enjoy a certain degree of success and domainers started to register even lower quality domains, better .XYZ were suddenly premium priced. Now you pay $15k/year for any 2L for example and $xxxx for a better keyword.

Basically the free for everyone was a nice PR stunt. Once they had reached their goal they got greedy and priced domainers out of the game.

Now what would happen to regfee priced domains if .XYZ became even more popular?

They would again rise prices so that only domains that are worth less than regfee are available for domainers.

You can see how the game is played and will continue to be played.

Basically many of the new Gs depend on suckers financing their operations. If they survive thanks to domainers financing and become successful, will they thank domainers for the financial support and hand them over free domains or will they price them out of the market?

Last edited:
•••

Might anyone have any theories as to whether or not they will be worth something in the near future (if they're not already)?

It's too early for anyone to make comments about this gTLD, so do not mind the negative comments. There are unfortunately many trolls in NamePros who like to make sarcastic comments for fun. Just ignore them.

In my opinion .vip is one of the promising gTLDs for certain niches, it's short and meaningful. Sectors where human interaction is involved, like tourism, medical services, security etc. might very well be interested in this gTLD in the near future. One of the most important aspects of domaining is the need for patience. It's just too early to say anything.

•••
...but the problem is that the seller is almost always the registry.

Yes - but not always and that's the general essence of domaining.

Last edited:
•••
Q. Any Idea Where to Sell .VIP's?
A. You should have figured out before buying any

Some guy is asking for help and asking a question on a domaining forum, and your freaking answer is "You should have figured out before buying any"! This is not even an answer, this is trolling.

If you're going to reply to these help requests, stop trolling and help people with your know-how and technical skills. You're not helping.

•••
It's not trolling dude, it's how all business ever in the history of any existence has been conducted. What a concept; knowing where to sell your inventory. Don't blame your lack of savvy on experienced domainers giving real advice.

It's like buying a lawnmower when you don't have a yard. If you think it's trolling that people are telling you that you should know where to sell the inventory which you bought with the intent on selling, then you probably entered the wrong business. Learn to take advice, because being offended doesn't make your point right.

•••
Of course you have good intentions, but I am not sure your comments are really more helpful. Saying that patience is needed, it's too early to say anything,... it's wishful thinking and that has never produced good results in new extensions as a rule. I'd rather be the devil's advocate. Naysayers are more often right than wrong :|

Kate,

Watch the "How To Value A Domain Name" GoDaddy video with Ammar Kubba and Page Howe on YouTube. These are two of the most experienced domainers who've achived great success in the industry. You'll see that they also say that the trends are constantly changing and you can not predict the future. Even they didn't know that numbered domains will make a big hit, they didn't know that .io will be very popular among it startups.

That being said, telling someone who's regged some .vip domains that his domains will be worth nothing is absolutely wrong. The gTLD is very new, we do not have an idea about how the trends will change in the future and the whole thing is a big unknown right now. If anyone here says that he/she knows what the future for a certain gTLD is, he/she should definitely see a shrink.

Help people if you want to and please simply do not answer their questions if you find them nonsense. Some so called "experienced" domainers keep posting sarcastic messages to newbies and this is called trolling in internet teminology. Experience is one thing, ethics is another.

•••
Watch the "How To Value A Domain Name" GoDaddy video with Ammar Kubba and Page Howe on YouTube. These are two of the most experienced domainers who've achived great success in the industry.
Yes they did, but not in new extensions right...
That being said, telling someone who's regged some .vip domains that his domains will be worth nothing is absolutely wrong. The gTLD is very new, we do not have an idea about how the trends will change in the future and the whole thing is a big unknown right now. If anyone here says that he/she knows what the future for a certain gTLD is, he/she should definitely see a shrink.
So do we agree that they are worthless at this point ?
That kinda answers the original question.

New extensions are not new, we are into the third year. Are they becoming mainstream yet for you ?

My suggestion to domainers is to focus on the extensions that are already popular today. Do keep an eye on the other extensions, but treat them as mere speculation. I'm such a conservative person.

As I've said before, it's too early to say anything. VIP is short for a very important person who is accorded special privileges due to their status or importance. This makes me think that certain sectors like tourism might be interested in this domain name. For example, some travel agents arrange "VIP tours" which are basically high priced, high quality tours for a small number of people or rich families etc. Now, italytours.vip could very well be a good domain for a travel agency making VIP italy tours.
As a rule the semantics don't have much of an impact when it comes to adoption of TLDs by end users. Speaking of travel, it's one of the biggest online industries. Does that mean .travel is a great investment. No. The poor marketing for sure doesn't help but you get the point.
.pro looks nice too, and is a positive keyword, but it's not really widespread and I wouldn't recommend it as an investment. Especially when they are so many competing extensions around. Why should I buy a .pro when I can get .tld .corp or whatever. The same applies to the other extensions. It's not like .vip is so exceptional. You have .luxury and others.

Most .vips were bought in China, so it's mainly a Chinese extension like .top or .xyz.
The OP should look to China for possible leads.
But I suspect that most Chinese buyers are speculators and not end users. It's not a good sign when speculators outnumber end users. It means the actual demand is lower than it seems.

•••
The question should be more about the when and not about the where because when the right time / offer has come (no worry, your domain/s will be found if they are wished) the place doesn't matter - remember, the internet is global ;)

It should be a law to get one included package of patience with every registered domain.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Mustafa,

.VIP .COMIES need to stop with the "I KNOW ALL ATTITUDE" in a learning environment.
It took significant objection for "Kate" to FINALLY post a professional, helpful response.

"Most .vips were bought in China, so it's mainly a Chinese extension like .top or .xyz.
The OP should look to China for possible leads.
But I suspect that most Chinese buyers are speculators and not end users. It's not a good sign when speculators outnumber end users. It means the actual demand is lower than it seems."

Hats off to: China for attempting to create a securities market for domains.
to:China for securing a significant percentage of the coveted high value .coms the .COMIE "EXPERTS" are so willing to
dump.
to China for breathing life into the market with there interest in numbers.
Hats of to : Investors willing to provide the GLOBAL market with more choices. (Of course they will make the most at first not unlike
first round investors in a start-up)
to: Uniregistry, Donuts, Radix .Top, .Club, .XYZ, .Global, for seeing what others do not see.... the next generation.
Hats of to: Individual investors willing to participate in efforts to expand and adapt to a changing market. win or lose.

Of course a large number of new extensions will fail. A large number of businesses fail every day.
All investments are speculative and nothing is a sure bet. Even .COMS. IMHO the pricing pressure has started and will continue

I too am sick and tired of reading the sarcasm toward New TLD'S. Either your in the Domain business or your in the .COM business and if your in the .COM business please restrain the unprofessional attitude toward others that do not see it your way.

•••
My suggestion to domainers is to focus on the extensions that are already popular today. Do keep an eye on the other extensions, but treat them as mere speculation. I'm such a conservative person.

Once upon a time, .mobi broke Kate's heart. She'll never love a new extension again.

•••
The good thing is, if you bought into @ a certain price, they can't just raise it to Whatever they want. That would kill consumer trust and be bad for everybody.

They can. They have already done this in some cases.

It's just that they still do care about their reputation because they are not established yet.

Minds and Machines and .ooo started to change renewal prices in some cases, see Berkens Blog or the post by Wot here in the forum and came up some some lame excuses (registry error) to do that.

So basically they could do that but they do still need Domainers and the public so they need to be perceived as alternative and reliable choice at the same time.

But over the long term greed will always take over and win. They just would need to sell the price increases in a way that would not damage their reputation too much.

Domaining is an industry where registrars like Enom let their own shell companies squat on worthless domains that their customers let expire and ask them for a fortune to get their domain back.

Think the nGs will be different?

The leading extension .xyz secretly stuffed hundreds of thousands domains in customer accounts, and started to claim that they are the leading extension because they got the most registrations.

Participation at all levels is necessary to bring the market to new levels of adoption and stability and yes this is a very risky time not for "conservitives or the faint hearted.

The market doesn't need most of these extensions. Participation is not necessary.

You will be financing a poorly setup system that was ultimately designed to enrich a few select registries at the expense of everyone else and this includes domainers.

Yes, domainers are being priced out of the high end game but that doesn't mean it's over just different. It is similar to expecting to participate in a penthouse sale if you selling condos in the suburbs.

I won't be over but more consolidated and many domainers would be out of the game with the registry taking their place. Things would not change for the better for domainers.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••

Any record of recent sales...?

Could this really be... another question? (Jk (...?) )

Thank you, to whomever may be listening!

Much love.

Do you have any numerics (3N) to sell?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back