Dynadot

Any help monetizing ~9000 users per day - newGTLD free traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Registry Services

Established Member
Impact
I've bought a handful of new-GTLDs that exact match the end of search terms - e.g. `for.men` & `for.mom`, `in.london` etc

As people often type `.` instead of space (esp on mobile) this results in a reasonable amount of traffic. For about 10 domains I'm getting about 8,800 visitors per day, most are new visitors, about 50% from the US.

The problem I have is how to monetize this traffic. Currently I have them parked at Bodis, but I'm getting $100 to $200 per month, which covers the renewal fees, but I was hoping for a bit more!

Part of the problem with Bodis is that they are listed in Ad-Blocker(s), so I'm losing about 50% of the traffic just cos of that.

I seem to have the opposite problem of everybody else - I have lots of visitors, but no content!!!
I had considered just setting up a business to sell the traffic, e.g. for a product launch or to boost a social media account.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
which covers the renewal fees, but I was hoping for a bit more!
Hi

i'd say
to have a list of hand regs, that earn enough ppc revenue to cover their renewal fees....
is the "how to" problem for those seeking to get to reach that level.

just saying, we all be hoping for a bit more! :)

perhaps you can liquidate a few of them, to boost your capital, if needed.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Since you are already using BODIS thats fine.

You can also maybe redirect the visitors (display them a message please) to any affiliates (if they allow this)

I've seen this on expired domains being bought for just this purpose.

•••
What @biggie said. If you're covering your reg fees you're doing fine. Buy some more names if you want to scale.

You're not delivering any value with these names, so you're not likely to be able to monetize it any better than parking. Bodis works as well as anywhere else.

Enjoy the pennies while you can before the steamroller flattens you.

Last edited:
•••
Buy some more names if you want to scale.
these are premium domains, so I might be covering the renewal fees, but I'll never make back the original registration fees this way, so until I can improve the revenue, there's just no point buying more

I've tried affiliate programs for particular "phrases", like "hotels.in.london", but most affiliates just reject my application. The source of the traffic doesn't really fit into any of their preconceived notions of how an affiliate would work.

Just seems a waste of what seems to me quite a lot of traffic.

•••
You can also maybe redirect the visitors (display them a message please) to any affiliates (if they allow this)

The problem is, my visitors are not interesting in buying my service, they are interested in buying a service from an intermediary, who could be interested in my service.

e.g. if somebody types in "hotels.in.london" they want to book a hotel, not rent/buy a domain name related to booking hotels.

I've tried splitting off these phrases & use them with affiliate programs, but often I just get rejected when applying to join the program. Also finding affiliate programs that match the phrases I see used the most is really hard.

•••
I've tried affiliate programs for particular "phrases", like "hotels.in.london", but most affiliates just reject my application. The source of the traffic doesn't really fit into any of their preconceived notions of how an affiliate would work.

Yeah, because the people visiting your sites are looking for them anyway. You aren't adding any value, you're just skimming. No affiliate program will be interested.

Affiliate programs want you to warm up the customer a bit, and help with the sale. They don't want to pay commissions on sales they would have made regardless.

Just seems a waste of what seems to me quite a lot of traffic.

It's not a lot of traffic. It's under 300k visitors a month, only half from the US, and it's typo traffic. That's not a lot and it's not high quality.

Personally, I'd be thrilled with what you are getting and would use that income to try and establish yourself in a real business where you actually provide value. When you're actually providing value it's much easier and more sustainable to capture some of that value for yourself.

I'm saying this from experience - I think all of us have tried to make the parking thing work, and ran into these issues as well. It's a very overfished pond, and unless you have huge scale I would focus elsewhere.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back