IT.COM

Any free options to host school projects?

NameSilo
Watch

overground55

Impact
I'm a graphic design student, and I'm building my portfolio, and I took a class in web design, but would like to see what options I have for hosting my school project site online so that someone could see the functionality of my website.
Are there any options that are free? Alternatively, what are some of the cheapest options if there are no free options out there?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Cloudflare should have some cheap option.

•••
Free web hosters are good to begin, but not very reliable.
All my websites are hosted at OVH (public cloud server) but I started with a simple shared hosting plan.
Choose an hoster that's well known and has good reviews in your country.

•••
I'm a graphic design student, and I'm building my portfolio, and I took a class in web design, but would like to see what options I have for hosting my school project site online so that someone could see the functionality of my website.
Are there any options that are free? Alternatively, what are some of the cheapest options if there are no free options out there?
.xyz is very friendly to the design territory and cheap.

•••
Wordpress.com is free. Namecheap has managed wordpress for 3.88 a month.

•••
Are you looking for hosting? Then go for 000webhost or Heroku(Not sure whether you can still host for free).
I think github also provide free hosting
Else you can sign up on github with your college id (Students premim pack) and they will give you some aws service free for 1 year,

•••
•••
•••
There are several free hosting options and even some free domain providers, but I will recommend that you stay away from the free options and find a decent low cost provider instead.

Never go for a free domain, spend the $8-12/year for a domain at a decent provider such as NameCheap, NameSilo, Porkbun etc.

Free hosting offers are often slow, unreliable, limited, and questionable regarding your personal information. You should be able to host a portfolio at a shared hosting account. Providers such as BuyShared and Inception Hosting are reliable providers providing basic plans, but feature rich shared hosting at the $10/year mark. You can also check out the LowEndTalk forum for shared hosting offers.

Spending something like $20/year on a domain and hosting will long term be a more secure and hassle free option in comparison to free hosting.

If you just need to host a static site I will recommend Netlify. The basic plan is free and they provide stable high quality hosting. You will also need a free account with a git repository provider such as GitHub, so if you are unfamiliar with git repositories the learning curve will be somewhat steep in the begeinning.

Last edited:
•••
By the way, Epik gives you free Wp hosting on every domain you have there.
It's a bit slow from here and we can't install every plugin, but it should do the job.

•••
Back