Domain Empire

Another bloody dodgy host.

NameSilo
Watch
ello,

This is to inform you that in 14 days (the 16th of october, 2005), Clearnethost.com will be dissolving.

The honest answer is that the revenue does not match expenses, and has been like this since June. 3 weeks ago, a large share (59%) was sold to a private investor. He has since stopped investing, due to lack of a comprehensive business model.

Unfortunetaly, he has decided to stop financing Clearnethost, and as such, we must now dissolve.

Please create your backups and start searching for another host. The server will remain online for only 14 days, after which, the plug is pulled. The main Clearnethost.com site is suspended and will remain so, as so avoid any new signups.

Thank you for your support, and we wish you well!

WHAT CAN I DO?
I paid for a year :|

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thats bad man :(

can you not ask for a refund?

•••
Did you request a refund?

•••
Course i did

[email protected]

Not sure if i will get a reply.

only been with them for a month :|

•••
Dodgy explanation here of someone who obviously doesn't know how to run a business. I'd personally request a refund and even bluff them to a point. Ask for contacts and such and make them feel that you're ready for legal action. You deserve a refund in this case and I'm thinking the owner with take the money and run - otherwise it's all going to the investor so the owner doesn't lose any money. It's not your job to pay for his mistakes.

•••
It looks like they were a reseller.
I doubt that the site is down because they are preventing sign ups. More likely they didn't pay the bills to their host.

Probably not much you can do about it other than to consider it a lesson learned.

Never pay a year in advance for hosting until you are certain the host is going to be around at least that long.

•••
many thanks.

Sent another email with those points you suggested.

•••
Agree with HH here, he's a wise man in the hosting industry and a few other places as well. ;)

Unfortunately, you learned the hard way here but paying yearly is not something I ever recommend - this even includes my own clients. I do this not because I fear my own company won't make it, but because things do happen - apparently especially with hosting companies because of common misconceptions. It might cost you $10 more over the course of a year but the safety is priceless. That way, if things go south, you don't lose many times that in a situation like the above.

However, a good company and an honest individual would refund payment for services not rendered at least.

•••
CrazyTech said:
Ask for contacts and such and make them feel that you're ready for legal action.
I wouldn't even bother as you'd be wasting your time.

Your best bet is to simply ask the host if they will refund your yearly payment as you are not receiving the years worth of services. Remember to make your case too. However I would start looking for a new host right away. And this time make sure you go with a professional/reliable host, then you don't have to worry about the host going out of business. And what ever you do, don't pay yearly!

•••
Not really, this method can be suprisingly effective given the nature of the person here. You'd be truly suprised how many kiddies and uneducated hosters will react to something when you just make it open that you're thinking legal action. I don't mean go in and flaunt it with threats but simply make it an option and they'll react. I've seen it time and time again.

This individual is trying to shut down quietly and a little noise should achieve the desired effect.

•••
ask for a refund for whatever amount of months you didnt get and then ask for a 'damage' refund ;)

•••
I certainly don't want to discourage the OP from trying however people in their situation don't usually get good results. Considering 59% of this company was sold to a private investor whom was to help keep the company alive and that investor has since backed out...well, I don't like the odds.

•••
Sounds fishy and typical of a reseller... Seems the only people stable these days are the ones who own the hardware.. (no offense to any resellers here) but even the hardware owner can pull a reseller account...

As everyone has already said.. Get a new host.. one with a few years track record..

I as well as HH I can see have been in business 3 years.. and not going anywhere

•••
I agree, when picking a host you should go with someone whom has been around for more then just a year or two. One of the easiest and simplest things you can do is check a domain names whois information. If something looks fishy then move on. i.e. a hosting company whom hides their whois information.

•••
I have had a few PMs offering my an emergency host i appreciate it so much guys, i will spend the extra few $$ to get a decent host. Many thank so much, i will make you aware of any developments

•••
CrazyTech said:
Dodgy explanation here of someone who obviously doesn't know how to run a business. I'd personally request a refund and even bluff them to a point. Ask for contacts and such and make them feel that you're ready for legal action. You deserve a refund in this case and I'm thinking the owner with take the money and run - otherwise it's all going to the investor so the owner doesn't lose any money. It's not your job to pay for his mistakes.

I agree, they seem like comeplete idiots to me.....

A "company" which gives up after being unprofitable for 3 weeks, smells like a reseller...

•••
Very sorry to see you go through this. I agree with the post about checking on how long they have been around: there are far too many amateur hosting "companies" that are starting up and offering hosting for 1 or 2 bucks a month. They have no idea what they are doing on the business side and they fail very quickly, taking your site down in a thrice.

•••
1 month of hosting for $70 is just insulting.

I cant get a reply though, im getting whois and ill call his mummy. :)

Edit:GOD DAM IT, Whois protection

•••
Thanks for that useful information, i would request a refund.

•••
I might not use reseller any more and go fo a single hsoting with addons wil work out cheaper.

Still no email, cant see anything happeningm screwed over once again >:(

•••
bfrizz said:
Very sorry to see you go through this. I agree with the post about checking on how long they have been around: there are far too many amateur hosting "companies" that are starting up and offering hosting for 1 or 2 bucks a month. They have no idea what they are doing on the business side and they fail very quickly, taking your site down in a thrice.
And when these "companies" sink their owner is no where to be found. Out of that $1 you pay your host every month, they actually see 55 cents of it. The rest goes to merchant fees. 55 cents isn't a lot.

•••
Next time go to a host that has a real office address in their contact info. Although not an assurance, but it will help at least.

•••
Thank you, still nothing from them, any other way i can find this kids number, i am addoment in the fact i want to call him.

•••
Try contacting the WHOIS protection service and ask for details; that's what they're for.

•••
Thanks PN, how would i do that, looks like a random email to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back