Dynadot

Annoying: Domainers with even crappier names

NameSilo
Watch

domainsoup

Established Member
Impact
It's annoying enough to have decent domains sit on Sedo with offer views and no serious bids.

You know what's more annoying? When your domain doesn't sell but you keep getting e-mails from domainers with crappier variations of your domain, trying to sell them to you!

Ex: You own videoexample.com and it gets no serious offers. Then you get e-mails

"Dear Sir,
Would you be interested in videoexamplelivenow.com? Please respond back to me I am thinking of a modest fee for a completed transaction.

LOL I cannot even sell my domain name. But you want me to buy a crappier version from you? Ah, good old domaining.

Does it happen to you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's annoying enough to have decent domains sit on Sedo with offer views and no serious bids.

You know what's more annoying? When your domain doesn't sell but you keep getting e-mails from domainers with crappier variations of your domain, trying to sell them to you!

Ex: You own videoexample.com and it gets no serious offers. Then you get e-mails

"Dear Sir,
Would you be interested in videoexamplelivenow.com? Please respond back to me I am thinking of a modest fee for a completed transaction.

LOL I cannot even sell my domain name. But you want me to buy a crappier version from you? Ah, good old domaining.

Does it happen to you?

sure does, check this thread i created about same subject:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/emails-from-domainers-selling-crap-names.742232/

you probably received emails from some of the same folks mentioned in the thread.

•••
Here's a suggestion that might 'kill two birds with one stone': do a REVERSE APPRAISAL SCAM. This is genius, and I just thought of it right now because I am eating Mini-wheats, which I think are very nurturing to brain health and creativity:

Find a link to one of the appraisal scam websites, where the appraisal scammers send newbies to buy a fake appraisal. Then when one of these other guys asks you if you want to buy one of these crappy domains because it is 'similar' to your (hopefully much better) domain, you say that you wouldn't consider buying their domain until they can send you an official appraisal certificate for it, to prove their domain has value. Send them a link to the appraisal scam website and tell them you'll accept an appraisal from this site. You are welcome to laugh while you are sending that email.

With luck, some of these spammy domainers don't know about the appraisal scam and will get excited and buy the appraisal. If this happens often enough maybe they will become disgusted and disillusioned by how much money they are losing due to paying for appraisals and then none of us actually buy their crappy domain, and they will look for a better business model. And the other benefit is that maybe the appraisal scammers will get a nice increase of business from these spammers, and not email us so much either. In other words, the spammers pay the scammers. It's genius.

Okay, I'm dreaming. But it's a nice solution to dream about :)

•••
Here's a suggestion that might 'kill two birds with one stone': do a REVERSE APPRAISAL SCAM. This is genius, and I just thought of it right now because I am eating Mini-wheats, which I think are very nurturing to brain health and creativity:

Find a link to one of the appraisal scam websites, where the appraisal scammers send newbies to buy a fake appraisal. Then when one of these other guys asks you if you want to buy one of these crappy domains because it is 'similar' to your (hopefully much better) domain, you say that you wouldn't consider buying their domain until they can send you an official appraisal certificate for it, to prove their domain has value. Send them a link to the appraisal scam website and tell them you'll accept an appraisal from this site. You are welcome to laugh while you are sending that email.

With luck, some of these spammy domainers don't know about the appraisal scam and will get excited and buy the appraisal. If this happens often enough maybe they will become disgusted and disillusioned by how much money they are losing due to paying for appraisals and then none of us actually buy their crappy domain, and they will look for a better business model. And the other benefit is that maybe the appraisal scammers will get a nice increase of business from these spammers, and not email us so much either. In other words, the spammers pay the scammers. It's genius.

I fail to see your logic in how an increase in business income for the scammers would make them want to stop sending out as many emails. It would surely have the exact opposite effect.

•••
I fail to see your logic in how an increase in business income for the scammers would make them want to stop sending out as many emails. It would surely have the exact opposite effect.
My entire post was tongue-in-cheek. If you try to find logic in it, your brain will gyrate itself into a pretzel and cause a stroke. Stop thinking about it immediately.

•••

i think it's only worth it - if you are the one selling appraisals :) - then it's a good idea. They pay $50 for appraisal to you / domain, and you appraise it to be worth $45. Then it's a laughing matter. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, i bet those emails come straight from jail, so .... there maybe consequences, so in no way I am suggesting to either create or work with fake appraising companies - but it's fun to think of these ideas...

•••
I think I noticed a trend with this spam.

They send out messages during the last few days when their domain is in pending delete.

Message received today:
"According to my information you hold a similar domain name to mine.
I was wondering if you would be curious about obtaining the ******(com) ?

Quick check:

•••
I think I noticed a trend with this spam.

They send out messages during the last few days when their domain is in pending delete.

Message received today:
"According to my information you hold a similar domain name to mine.
I was wondering if you would be curious about obtaining the ******(com) ?

Quick check:

It is more likely that these spammers are front runners (in other words, they don't even own the domain).

I tolerate these numpties because occasionally I snag a nice domain -- not from them, but on the actual drop.

They are my eyes and ears.

:)

•••
I tolerate these numpties because occasionally I snag a nice domain -- not from them, but on the actual drop.

They are my eyes and ears.

:)
Well that's a great way to look at it that I didn't think of! I'll have to keep that in mind and maybe pay more attention to my spam folder. ;)

Thanks for the insight!

P.S. Love that word, "numpties"! :D

•••
Is it just me, or are 95% of these spam mails from a woman??

Just about all mine are from woman.

My last five were:

Carmina
Katrice
Matilde
Mina
Gloria

WTF!

LOL

•••
Is it just me, or are 95% of these spam mails from a woman??

Just about all mine are from woman.

My last five were:

Carmina
Katrice
Matilde
Mina
Gloria

WTF!

LOL
The ones I received the last couple of days were all from female names with the exception of one.

Stephanie
Maria
Michael
Sara

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back