IT.COM

Annoying: Domainers with even crappier names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainsoup

Established Member
Impact
It's annoying enough to have decent domains sit on Sedo with offer views and no serious bids.

You know what's more annoying? When your domain doesn't sell but you keep getting e-mails from domainers with crappier variations of your domain, trying to sell them to you!

Ex: You own videoexample.com and it gets no serious offers. Then you get e-mails

"Dear Sir,
Would you be interested in videoexamplelivenow.com? Please respond back to me I am thinking of a modest fee for a completed transaction.

LOL I cannot even sell my domain name. But you want me to buy a crappier version from you? Ah, good old domaining.

Does it happen to you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think the people running those schemes are domainers. It's just another mass spam operation. They picked up where bellnames left, assuming it's not the same people still at the wheel.

•••
Heck, it might even be the same people that keep trying to push their "Discount Prescription Drugs" and this could be another branch of their operation.

About a week or so I got a contact email from someone named "Michelle" who wanted to know if I was interested in purchasing a domain similar to one I own. After the usual short message there was another message at the bottom saying something about if I wasn't interested in the domain name, "Would I like to save hundreds of dollars a year on my phone bill?". I guess if they can't get you one way, maybe another will work. Funny thing is "Michelle" didn't seem to speak very good English as evident in the message. ;)

It seems like a person can't go a day these days without coming across one scam or another.

•••
I don't think the people running those schemes are domainers. It's just another mass spam operation. They picked up where bellnames left, assuming it's not the same people still at the wheel.

Yeah, agree. Looks like it's based on some software going through soon to be expired domains and shooting mass emails to owners of related domains.

•••
No ,no email and I was joking ,just saying they both are garbage

•••
Heck, it might even be the same people that keep trying to push their "Discount Prescription Drugs" and this could be another branch of their operation.

About a week or so I got a contact email from someone named "Michelle" who wanted to know if I was interested in purchasing a domain similar to one I own. After the usual short message there was another message at the bottom saying something about if I wasn't interested in the domain name, "Would I like to save hundreds of dollars a year on my phone bill?". I guess if they can't get you one way, maybe another will work. Funny thing is "Michelle" didn't seem to speak very good English as evident in the message. ;)

It seems like a person can't go a day these days without coming across one scam or another.

Most probably indian scammers using english names. Their spam is all over my trash folder.

•••
It's annoying enough to have decent domains sit on Sedo with offer views and no serious bids.

You know what's more annoying? When your domain doesn't sell but you keep getting e-mails from domainers with crappier variations of your domain, trying to sell them to you!

Ex: You own videoexample.com and it gets no serious offers. Then you get e-mails

"Dear Sir,
Would you be interested in videoexamplelivenow.com? Please respond back to me I am thinking of a modest fee for a completed transaction.

LOL I cannot even sell my domain name. But you want me to buy a crappier version from you? Ah, good old domaining.

Does it happen to you?

Yup, all day long. And what is funny, few domainers from here are regular :)

•••
Most probably indian scammers using english names. Their spam is all over my trash folder.
Yeah, my spam folders are always full of this type of junk. I was thinking Chinese going by some of the wording, but could be anything.

Cheers

•••

Believe or not, but we have here on NP few of them. :)

•••
here is some trash I am being offered:

yogaread.com
s-o-f-i-a.com
ng-pos.com
manual-s.com
332ge51127.com
cabine-try.com
s-db-s.com

•••

Yes, I get these all the time and the worst part is when you think you might be getting an email from an end user inquiring about a domain and it is just another domainer spamming you with a junk domain they are trying to sell you. It drives me nuts.

•••
I get these emails all the time too, usually in an English that is slightly "off" in word usage. Like asking me if I would be "curious" in owning this name. Took me a while to figure they meant "interested"… However, just occasionally they mention a name I am actually interested in and when I check I see it's expiring or pending delete. So I go ahead and catch it myself (thanks, spammer).

•••
I get these emails all the time too, usually in an English that is slightly "off" in word usage. Like asking me if I would be "curious" in owning this name. Took me a while to figure they meant "interested"… However, just occasionally they mention a name I am actually interested in and when I check I see it's expiring or pending delete. So I go ahead and catch it myself (thanks, spammer).

Well in that case its not a spam anymore :)

•••
The worst spam I get is for SEO. I get 5 to 10 SEO and web design spam emails every day. Many are disguised as domain renewal notices. The most annoying part about it is that some of these clowns have started getting so pushy they are actually emailing me back demanding to know why I have not replied to their previous emails!!!

•••
The most annoying part about it is that some of these clowns have started getting so pushy they are actually emailing me back demanding to know why I have not replied to their previous emails!!!
This is EXACTLY what keeps happening to me lately. These people are going to spam me with their service offers and get pushy with wanting me to reply. That's like a car salesman coming up and tackling you as you walk past and forcing you to tell them why you didn't come test drive their car after you walk past their car lot and looked at a car they had. Crazy!

•••
LOL has happen to me PLENTY of times...

•••
worst part is when you think you might be getting an email from an end user inquiring about a domain and it is just another domainer spamming you with a junk domain they are trying to sell you. It drives me nuts.

These emails tend to raise hopes and drop hopes in exactly the way you described, especially when they put your domain name in the subject title. I can imagine thousands of domainers all around the world opening these emails every morning before breakfast and having their hopes dashed. I've started to wonder about the morality of potentially responding with something like this:

"Hi and thanks for the suggestion. We will consider your <crappydomain.com> but our budget is limited.

I am not making an offer for <crappydomain.com> at this time but i'm just testing the waters here at this level to see if you think it might work at circa $80,000 (Eighty Thousand US dollars) and this suggested price range is subject further research and appraisal. And in this case, you would need to assure me that YOU would cover escrow charges. Can you give an indication of your thoughts on the matter?"

I DO NOT urge anyone try a response like this. Firstly, its unethical to lead a domainer in this way no matter how much enjoyment you might derive from the "revenge factor" and secondly, the following three points:

(1) Google searches for the definition of the word "circa" would spike instantly. When the word comes directly before a large sum of money, you really want to know what it means and fast (you're right, that includes a presumption that the spammer doesn't already know!).

(2) Some domainers are so deluded to the point where, at first, they will jump out of their trousers and if theres a cable on their lap, it might knock their laptop off the table resulting in damage or worse.

(3) When they respond emphatically with a yes, you let them know that: "My partner thinks im over paying, in fact he thinks its not worth even reg fee.... but ill come back to you later if we can meet you somewhere in the middle."

Last edited:
•••
As somebody who owns nearly 2k names, I get at least 2 or 3 of these type of e-mails a day. I'm not actually a domainer really, so I always assumed that this is how you guys sell your names, lol.

I'm pretty sure it's done through automated spam software, as some of the names are so bad any human being would be able to see there was no real connection between the name offered and my domain name.

•••
I get these every day, about 15-20 of them or so on average.

Here is my take on them.

I traced them almost always 100 % to deleted / dropped domains. In other words, someone came up with a very easy scheme, where - all they do is take a look at deleted domain names listing, which are coming up at any of those deleted domains auctions - snapnames, etc. So they see there are no bids for example, and the domain consist of 3 words. They take a look at the whois ownership of the people who own those 2 words, or combination and write tons of emails. (I assume they are working from jails, since only there you have this much time) Now, the scheme is simple and free. If I say yes, I am interested, they ask for couple of hundred dollars, depending on the name, and then try to win this domain name on the auction for less. If they do, great, they made profit. If they don't, they simply disappear. Since all of them are writing from one time use free gmail or other free accounts, you will never be able to trace them.

I actually answered a few, and got reply. Then we agreed on the price, and they never came back. I also traced those names tot he aftermarket place and saw the names being sold for more. Obviously I never got replies, but what these people end up doing is raising the actual prices (like shell bidding) on those names, on the speculation that you will rebuy it from them. I also assume that some of those spammers will simply try to take your money and disappear as well. So my advise is even if you do answer and work out a deal which goes through - USE ESCROW always.

•••
I always ask them to buy my domain please. They never reply back.

•••
Hahahaha.. I receive so many emails like this everyday... I just ignore them..

•••
Lol...I've had that happen before, then I got smart and starting buying the private whois feature with each domain purchase going forward.

FYI - Uniregistry offers free whois privacy. Email me and ill give all my fellow NP people discounts.

frankp @ Uniregistry . com

•••
I get them all the time, too. The world is full of bottom feeders. I just ignore them, they are annoying at most. Lots have people have mentioned whois privacy helps. I find that it does help, but since it's not 100% I don't throw away cash paying extra for it.

Does anyone know which part of the whois records these bottom feeders are using to extract these emails? For example, the whois contains 4 sections: admin, registrant, tech and billing. Or do they just milk the whole record?

•••
For the Past 2 Years I have only Received about 5 emails only & those too were almost simple decent names, not the rubbish ones.
So, I am a little worried I should at least receive a mail at least once a month. :)

•••
@DANEYAL it's probably because your whois data is hidden.

•••
@DANEYAL it's probably because your whois data is hidden.
I have actually never used a privacy option for any of the names I intend to sell. May be I have only listed most of the times at Flippa, if I had used the afternic that would have boosted exposure to other domainers as well. Or may be because my posts & everything else reflects me as a seller only (Poor SELLER :) & that is true fortunately.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back