Dynadot

advice An inquiry come a day after handreg a name.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Most Bay

Bruneis.comTop Member
Impact
Dear all,
I prefer to make this new thread, instead of to continue other.
To be honest, I was a little influenced by the thread about the keyword "futuristic".
Then, just in case, I tried handreg six names related to that keyword. IMO, "Nothing to lose..."
One of them is "FuturisticFaXX" which I handreg on 28 November 2019. A day after, 29 November 2019, I got an inquiry from someone, sent via [email protected] to my email, asking how much the price of this name.
I reply by writing the price below $1K (because I am still underestimated on this keyword, due to pessimistic in other thread).
He/she did not yet send back his interest or counter offer. (I understand maybe it is in weekend)
I am happy, of course! However, I'm curious whether the inquiry is true or just playing around.
I hope @Rob Monster can verify this inquiry.

Kindly please give advices or suggestons.

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No problem .. The math and probabilities are a CRUCIAL part of understanding domaining. Even portfolios of "good" domains have very small chances and don't always make long term money.

You need to focus on domains where the expected return on average is more than $1 per $1 investment. Once you figure out how to make "more than $1 on average in revenue" per "$1 of cost", then you can focus on growing your portfolio. But if someone grows their portfolio based on losing math/probabilities then they are only going to lose more and more money.

@Ja Kai .. your advice is correct .. but please never post someone's full domain unless they posted it first. The domain can and will be indexed by Google and potential end-users will see the comments and criticism. It's only ok to post a domain when the owner posts the full domain without spaces or other alterations.

(Note .. that you have 30 minutes after posting where you can edit your post .. you now have 23 minutes left)

@BabayS .. I also suggest you edit your last post .. the part where you quote @Ja Kai

ADDED: I think @Ja Kai means you should delete it now .. some registrars will offer you a refund in the first few days. (Obviously keep it if you can't get a refund)
Thank you very much @Ategy.
and @Ja Kai, kindly please ads Mods to edit your post about the exact name of the domain, please... Thanks for understanding.

•••
No problem .. The math and probabilities are a CRUCIAL part of understanding domaining. Even portfolios of "good" domains have very small chances and don't always make long term money.

You need to focus on domains where the expected return on average is more than $1 per $1 investment. Once you figure out how to make "more than $1 on average in revenue" per "$1 of cost", then you can focus on growing your portfolio. But if someone grows their portfolio based on losing math/probabilities then they are only going to lose more and more money.

@Ja Kai .. your advice is correct .. but please never post someone's full domain unless they posted it first. The domain can and will be indexed by Google and potential end-users will see the comments and criticism. It's only ok to post a domain when the owner posts the full domain without spaces or other alterations.

(Note .. that you have 30 minutes after posting where you can edit your post .. you now have 23 minutes left)

@BabayS .. I also suggest you edit your last post .. the part where you quote @Ja Kai

ADDED: I think @Ja Kai means you should delete it now .. some registrars will offer you a refund in the first few days. (Obviously keep it if you can't get a refund)
Thank you for proper protocol here - I changed.

•••
@Ja Kai. Thaks for the advice. But I am sorry to say, that it is impossible for me. I have made a choice, and I'm always ready to take the risk of the choice.

Last edited:
•••
@BabayS .. @Ja Kai edited his post .. but edits aren't automatically changed in quotes .. you need to edit your own post here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/an-inquiry-come-a-day-after-handreg-a-name.1166010/#post-7520294

Look at the bottom of that post .. you'll see "Edit" next to "Report" .. click on that Edit button and change the domain in the part that you quoted from the full domain name to FuturisticFa__.com (or whatever you want). @Ja Kai can't edit his quote within your post (he can just edit his original post .. which he already did).

•••
I am sorry to say, that it is impossible for me. I have made a choice, and I'm always ready to take the risk of the choice.
You still need to change your capture of my exposure - in your reply, where you referenced my post.

•••
•••
someone would be paying $10 for a 1/10,000 chance of winning $1000
Just to be clear first, I am not pushing domain names including word futuristic (I own none, and only once checked on availability of one, long before the NamePros thread). I think going overboard in any one small niche, especially with limited sales support, is unwise.

I was just wondering the basis for the 1/10,000 figure @Ategy. I agree with the importance of probabilistic thinking, and the $10 figure is known (or near to that) and the net sale proceeds estimate might be regarded as at least order of magnitude known (I would probably have put slightly less than $100 from previous sales of similar names) but just wondering what the 1/10,000 is based on? Is it simply an opinion that the average solid domain has about 1 in 100 chance of selling in a year, and in your opinion these domains are 100x worse than the average portfolio name for sale in .com, or is it based on something more specific, like a check for sales versus names for sale?

Thanks for clarification of your thinking and basis.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Dang... Rob, you know better not to have revealed the email. Never expected this from you.

•••
Dang... Rob, you know better not to have revealed the email. Never expected this from you.

I think that email appears in image form only.

•••
•••
I think going overboard in any one small niche, especially with limited sales support, is unwise.
Portfolio diversity is a bit of a different issue .. I don't see a problem if someone wants to invest heavily in a good and proven niche as long as they are aware of the odds and ok with the potential downside. (Maybe domains are one tiny portion of their global investments, which would mean it's fine to be high-risk for their entire domain portfolio).

I was just wondering the basis for the 1/10,000 figure @Ategy. I agree with the importance of probabilistic thinking, and the $10 figure is known (or near to that) and the net sale proceeds estimate might be regarded as at least order of magnitude known (I would probably have put slightly less than $100 from previous sales of similar names) but just wondering what the 1/10,000 is based on? Is it simply an opinion that the average solid domain has about 1 in 100 chance of selling in a year, and in your opinion these domains are 100x worse than the average portfolio name for sale in .com, or is it based on something more specific, like a check for sales versus names for sale?
Yup .. You got it more or less. Essentially I think these are totally garbage domains (to be clear .. I'm talking about the specific ones I saw) with essentially zero chance of selling at any price. I put what I guesstimated to actually be generous numbers .. so yes .. effectively at least 100x less likelihood of selling than the average domain found in a good 1% sell-through portfolio.

Wasn't trying to be too exact since the math I'm showing indicates and average loss of 99% on each domain. Even if I was off by a factor of 10, it's still a 90% loss. Effectively I'd say it's a 100% loss .. but I put in 1/10,000 because sometimes lightning still strikes for the worst domains.

It should be noted that I originally put 1/100,000 chance of selling at $1000 .. but generously multiplied that by 10x just for the sake of showing how bad it still is despite giving what I think is a generous chance of selling given the specific domains in question.

•••
then in a year you'll also need to renew etc.
I added the emphasis which I realize @Ategy did not intend, probably, but just wanted to stress when people do take a chance on speculative names it is important to not automatically renew. If no offers, no one else selling similar, often the right choice is not to renew. I think, possibly, there is too much of a mindset to automatically renew in our industry, whereas a periodic critical evaluation might lead to different response.
Bob

•••
That inquiry looks legit.

If you search the email, you find he is building some kind of site related to Futuristic.

PM me if you want help closing this lead.

Geez. It would never occur to me that the e-mail address I used to make an offer on a domain would be posted on a message board along with my ip address and conjecture about where I live and what I do for a living. Really upsetting and irresponsible.

•••
Geez. It would never occur to me that the e-mail address I used to make an offer on a domain would be posted on a message board along with my ip address and conjecture about where I live and what I do for a living. Really upsetting and irresponsible.
Dear friend,
I have reporterd again the post (and attachment), and so does @Rob Monster, to @Mod Team Echo. To remove the post and the attachement. Hope Moderator will remove it soon.
Thank you very much for understanding.

•••

And you are? Just asking as no offer was made so it seems strange to me you claim you did.

•••
•••
•••
And you are? Just asking as no offer was made so it seems strange to me you claim you did.

Not sure who you are or what gives you the chutzpah to question someone's identity in such an arrogant manner, but I didn't claim I made an offer. I was expressing criticism and upset from the perspective of someone who frequents sites like Epik.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Not sure who you are or what gives you the chutzpah to question someone's identity in such an arrogant manner, but I didn't claim I made an offer. I was expressing criticism and upset from the perspective of someone who frequents sites like Epik.

So you are the owner of that email address, you use that ip and are running the previously mentioned websites and social media handles?

Just asking as the info posted all points to another NP member which is weird.

•••
So you are the owner of that email address, you use that ip and are running the previously mentioned websites and social media handles?
Just asking as the info posted all points to another NP member which is weird.

@NameDeck .. I'm pretty sure @bourbon was talking hypothetically as a theoretical end-user .. or at least that was the impression I got because indeed we'd established with relative certainty that all the data I saw points to the email in question belonging to the person who started the Futuristic thread.. Although re-reading it now, I'll agree it could go be interpreted either way.

•••
@NameDeck .. I'm pretty sure @bourbon was talking hypothetically as a theoretical end-user .. or at least that was the impression I got because indeed we'd established with relative certainty that all the data I saw points to the email in question belonging to the person who started the Futuristic thread.. Although re-reading it now, I'll agree it could go be interpreted either way.

Thanks for that. Valid point. The way I'm reading it the post was regarding the specifics posted in this thread. If it's not, well I 100% agree with him, it's never ok to publically post this kind of info. Anyway, combined with a newly joined member and quite some shady practise and trolling going on...

@bourbon can clarify ofcourse.

Maybe I jumped to conclusions. If so I apologize. Honest mistake of interpretation of his wording.

•••

Not sure if you're bored or just someone who gets off on being a scandalmonger, but at this point I'm going to request that you direct your energy elsewhere. This is a completely illogical response to what I wrote.

I'm in no way associated with the domains, ip's, e-mails addresses, websites, niche, or whatever else you're hoping to fabricate for attention in relation to this thread/topic. I simply expressed my disappointment with Epik from the perspective of a potential customer.

•••
Not sure if you're bored or just someone who gets off on being a scandalmonger, but at this point I'm going to request that you direct your energy elsewhere. This is a completely illogical response to what I wrote.

I'm in no way associated with the domains, ip's, e-mails addresses, websites, niche, or whatever else you're hoping to fabricate for attention in relation to this thread/topic. I simply expressed my disappointment with Epik from the perspective of a potential customer.

And I agree with you, see my previous post. Like I said, if I mistakenly misread your post I apologise. I read it as you were claiming your were the one making an offer in this specific case.

•••
@bourbon: I interpreted it in the same way as @NameDeck; as if you were talking about the specific email and IP address as belonging to you. Since that apparently isn't the case I ask that you pardon my comment, as well.

I will say that I don't believe it is a completely illogical response to what you wrote, as even @Ategy indicated that it could be interpreted more than one way.

(Thanks, @Ategy; Sorry, @bourbon )

Last edited:
•••
Back