Dynadot

domains An everlasting domain name registration? Register a domain forever!

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
You can’t register or renew a gTLD with the registry for more than ten years in advance. Why this policy is in place, I don’t know. But some people would like to secure their domains for much longer than ten years.
Kong Posh Bhat and Atul Vohra have filed a patent application for long-lasting domain name registrations powered by income-generating assets. (Establishing and maintaining a sustainable income stream to defray recurring services expenses in order to enable long-lasting domain registrations, application 20160225089 (pdf).)
I certainly wouldn’t bet on how much a .com domain registration and ICANN’s fees will be 25 years from now, which is where I think the idea breaks down. It also seems like a complicated answer to a problem that isn’t all that pervasive...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Woaah... I didn't know Network Solutions did a 100 registration (10 years at a time)

•••
Domain Names are like power, water, gas ...fully you don't own rather kind of a lease.

•••
These guys wasted their money filing that patent. I already know exactly how much it cost to renew a .com domain name forever. In fact, it's even actually called a "Forever Domain". The cost is $420.00 at Epik.

•••
As if 10 years in advance is not enough.

•••
10 years is not so much, I think 20 or more is ok.

•••
Reminds me of the pyramid scheme episode of Sunny in Philadelphia.

•••
10 years of a locked in price could be good for a money maker in though.

•••
As per the RAA2013 of ICANN, The term may be extended at any time for a period between one (1) to ten (10) years, provided that the total aggregate term of the Domain Name does not exceed ten (10) years at any time.

No Registrar even Epik, cant make it forever renewal like 100's and 1000's of years. Since even if they offer something like that it would mean that the registrar is himself offering such a plan.
He would renew the domain for 10 years first and renew it for every year in the registry. Which is basically meant that registrar himself managing the domain rather than renewing the domain for infinite number of years.

There is no way that in the Whois the expiration date of the domain would appear as infinite or unlimited. Unless ICANN comes up with change in policy this wouldn't happen.

Basically it can never happen, I can explain with a simple example:
Imagine a home, you will buy or rent. The home is yours, the land belongs to you. But the day you die its some one else or get abandoned. Even though its your home you still pay your taxes, water bills and electricity bills. Same ways, even though you own the domain you have to pay the money to registrar and registry to manage the zone files and resolve your domain properly.

Nobody knows the economic situation after 10 years. So the registry and the registrar who are basically functioning on commercial basis have to imply charges for all the services the domain owner have opted for.

The 10 years is an ample amount to secure your domain. If your registrar provides auto renewal option if you maintain enough balance in their wallet funds or if you retain your credit card details with your registrar's panel they would debit the amount automatically and renew the domain. Which would be the best idea to save the domain.

So ever lasting domain name and other things are just a myth. Never believe anyone providing such serves which might end up in a scam.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back