NameSilo

Am I thinking right?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Being a newbie myself I cant help but ask this. Im a construction worker and made a delivery today to an up and coming condo building with multiple units. The name of the complex was on my ticket and the sign out front.

Island view crossing. So I came home and reg'd Islandviewcrossing.com

Am I thinking like a pro domainer, or did I waste another $7.20?

Thanks,
rob.........

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You're simply less clueless, IMHO. :snaphappy: :tu:

Good Luck with your End user marketings! :talk:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Clueless said:
Being a newbie myself I cant help but ask this. Im a construction worker and made a delivery today to an up and coming condo building with multiple units. The name of the complex was on my ticket and the sign out front.

Island view crossing. So I came home and reg'd Islandviewcrossing.com

Am I thinking like a pro domainer, or did I waste another $7.20?

Thanks,
rob.........
yes you wasted 7.20 the name of the complex, company name and domain name is owned by Island view crossing not clueless :imho: HTH

•••
Thought that was the idea though? Reg a name one might want to use to market their product or service.

So if this guy wants to use islandviewcrossing.com he has to buy it off me correct?

Please explain, thanks! I really dont have alot of $7.20's to loose.
Rob.............

•••
so you registered it already or just in the point of registering?

normally a company won't buy it off from someone if you're asking the price higher than attorney's fees, they'll just sue you for it. :imho:

•••
How can then sue me? The name is the name of the still undeveloped condos. Not a company name as i'm sure the owner has his own personal website already. Probably something properties/realestate whatever. The one I reg'd could be from anywhere. My mind thought was if it is going to be a "new business" for the owner, I beat him to the domain name in which he would prob want to market the condos.

Please continue to advise,
Rob............

•••
Clueless said:
How can then sue me? The name is the name of the still undeveloped condos. Not a company name as i'm sure the owner has his own personal website already. Probably something properties/realestate whatever. The one I reg'd could be from anywhere. My mind thought was if it is going to be a "new business" for the owner, I beat him to the domain name in which he would prob want to market the condos.

Please continue to advise,
Rob............

if they're erecting a condo chances are and high probability that they have a company name similar to the condo name or one of their tm registered. there's no way you just erect a condo generically? in our country it's not allowed because of the so-called building permit that requires a company name.

A good mind thought you have or thought pattern but the owner might beat you in registering the company and then just avail the domain name. tm issues could be the court case.

•••
Thanks weblord, but I checked and there were no results for any such trademarks. Theres not anything remotely close through google either. But......there are plenty of condo's, apartment complex's on this side of the pond who use the name of the property to promote/advertise. I'm just taking a shot in the dark this guy will want to do the same and see its already been reg'd and possibly for sale. I've wasted more money on beer back in the day.

•••
Clueless:

is the condo currently being marketed via a web-site? Search and find out.

If there is no web-site yet and you are sure it is not a trademark, you might be able to sell the domain to the developer, but you might not want to just drop them an e-mail directly, since the developer presumably is a customer of the company you work for and that could cause trouble for you. You need to think about any possible consequences there.

I recommend you put the domain on sedo.com with a price of "offers accepted" and see what happens. As a minimum, you might get prospective purchasers visiting your domain and clicking on real estate adverts (they pay a lot per click, I believe). (Set the key word to "<Name of Your State> real estate" or something like that.

If the domain is on sedo, there is a chance that the developer will go there and make an offer for it.

•••
You are going to have to wait for them to come to you. If you approach them first to sell the domain that would be a sign of registration in bad faith and then their chances of winning a WIPO claim goes up dramatically. Good luck.

•••
I don't think there will be any problems with trademarks as these are 3 generic words.

Thing is, the developer may not even want the domain islandviewcrossing.com

It may be sufficent for them to simply market the condos as a subdomain like or islandview.developername.com or developername.com/islandview.

Or instead of spending hundreds or thousands buying this name from you, they'd just go ahead and register the .net or the .us versions for $7.

You have severely limited your potential buyers. In this case you have only ONE. And if they say NO, then I cannot see anyone else who would want to buy the name.

•••
Thanks for the help, maybe this will help. the companys name is preferred realestate.com from conshohocken p.a. Heres a link on the site about the condos.

pdf- http://www.goprea.com/news/pdfs/06_1-19_BCCTimes_Lenox.pdf

O.k, i'm now more informed. Its not condos but a company moving in called lenox. The building itself is called Island View Crossing.

LOL, since its not already trademarked I wonder if i could trademark the name and sue them :hehe:

•••
greggish said:
You are going to have to wait for them to come to you. If you approach them first to sell the domain that would be a sign of registration in bad faith and then their chances of winning a WIPO claim goes up dramatically. Good luck.

And then ask the mods to delete this thread because it'll show up on Google in a day or two when you search for Island View Crossing...! :notme:

•••
•••
It's a small world. I know the building, the company moving in, the author of the newspaper article (went to college with him), I even met fat Ed (the gov of PA) Rendell a few times. Just never met you. :P

Community / building names are not companies nor products per se and generally do not get TM'ed. There are probably a few hundred Island View Crossings throughout the world, so it would be very hard to claim which community would be the rightful owner of the domain. Think about the number of communities called "Deerfield" throughout the US. Can they all lay claim to Deerfield.com, no.

If you haven't done so already, park the domain somewhere you can guage the traffic. If the traffic is good, monetize the name through ppc advertising.

•••
Hey namemaker, do you live near by the building? If so i'd love to buy you lunch. I need some personal quick training with all this domain stuff. One hour with you and my labtop would prob do me alot of good. This forum has taught me alot so far, but sadly I really am still clueless.

Also, if I type in islandviewcrossing into google the results are next to zero.

ps- how'd I do?

http://www.sedoparking.com/islandviewcrossing.com

•••
Apprasial Request

Thought this might be an appropriate thread since everyone is discussing real estate.

I own the following domains. What do you think they are worth undeveloped?

realez.com
realez.net
realez.org
real-ez.com

I had a developed site up at realez.com (and forwarded all others to it). I lost interest and took it down.

I own the Federal Service Mark for real ez in the real estate, banking, and mortgage industries. I have never tried to enforce the service mark; can't speak to its enforcibility. As far as I know, I am the owner of the mark.

Thinking of selling...what do you estimate the worth?
Should I develop prior? Would it be worth it to put a lot of time developing this site (would it greatly increase the value or only slightly increase the value)

Thanks for any input,

•••
yeah better research then go regging namne that might even cost u more than 7.20
tm issues related domains are to avoid

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back