(Almost) A Decade of Domaining...

Located in Ask Pros Anything (APA), started by Nikul Sanghvi, Dec 23, 2017

Replies:
Views:

1. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    10:00 AM
    I said it many times... being domainer can be life saving job for u and family or it can be very stressful..all this depending on yer actual location ... imagine in India or Africa it gives alternatives to very hard jobs in mines ..or burning waste etc...

so very much imo domaining and location are crucial.. but...so are all jobs and salaries either going to let u stress free or stress fully.. all based on location..

that being said.. if single...or even with family.. consider becoming digital nomad... see how far domaining can get u in say Vietnam...vs usa...

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Nikul Sanghvi

Nikul Sanghvi hypernames.co PRO VIP ICA Member

User's Time:
    3:00 PM
    Thank you - I did think about this in the past, but raising the BIN prices too high could also impact the STR on networks like Afternic. I do enjoy negotiations, I also enjoy making buyers happy by finding a price that works for everyone. It's a tough one.

Good point @alcy - and I think more and more people will become digital nomads. It's not possible for everyone - especially if kids are in school or you look after parents/family whom live nearby.

3. Ostrados

Ostrados EpicName.com VIP

User's Time:
    5:00 PM
    @Nikul Sanghvi

Do you plan to continue using "BIN + Make offer" at DAN or are you going to switch to BIN only?

4. Antony Northcutt

Antony Northcutt Upgraded Member Blue Account

User's Time:
    4:00 PM
    Good grief that was a wonderful read!

5. Nikul Sanghvi

User's Time:
    I've switched to BIN only for now - and hope to test it for a while. I might also try Lease To Own or Payment Plan options in the near future too.

6. Isibor Imieka

Isibor Imieka Established Member

User's Time:
    Wow Nikul, always a delight to read your posts. Very thorough, engaging, insightful and honest. Congrats on your sales and thanks for being so upfront with your sales data, research and acquisition strategy. Best of luck for 2021 and I still maintain that you owe the community a book.

7. 1Darko

1Darko Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    Very professional report - thank you very much!
    I wish you a successful 2021!

8. Digital Kush

Digital Kush Restricted (15-30%)

User's Time:
    8:30 PM
  9. saj110

saj110 Established Member

User's Time:
    7:00 PM
    @Nikul Sanghvi - (y):xf.smile:, as usual a superb analysis and report, very insightful and useful and thanks for sharing your sales and strategies so transparently - May your sales report be more heavier at the end of 2021:xf.wink:(y)

10. Nametree

Nametree Nametree.com VIP

User's Time:
    Thank you for sharing, Nikul, I always look forward to your honest and comprehensive insights.

11. Hassan ben

Hassan ben Established Member

User's Time:
    Great post. Thank you so much

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Top Member NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

User's Time:
    7:00 AM
    Many of us thought it was impossible to make your incredible past analyses and posts in this series even stronger and more useful. We were wrong. Thank you for the NamePros post of the century. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Really interesting perceptions on 2020 and how personal circumstances and outlook can change things. Also your lander change experiment.

This is one of the most important questions, but as you note, difficult to definitively answer. There is also the point raised by the SquadHelp CEO that having multiple options (buy it now or make offer) may cause purchase indecision.

This view seems totally logical to me, and that is why I have shied away from much use of Afternic landers. As a buyer I don't want to go through that just to get a price. It seems to me sure that many buyers feel that way, too. By the way, elsewhere on NamePros Joe S indicated that the option of BIN Afternic landers was coming sometime in 2021.

Thanks again for all of the detail, analysis, reflection and openness, and congratulations on your continuing success.

Bob

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  13. iTesla

iTesla Established Member

User's Time:
    @Nikul Sanghvi
    Thank you for your valuable knowledge and experience!
    Do you plan to invest in .de (ccTLD), what are your thoughts about them?

14. Nikul Sanghvi

User's Time:
    Thank you so much Bob - it's awesome for me to hear you say that.

It's really tricky, and I definitely don't know the answers. Some of the data surprised me over the last week as I started to delve into it. It all seems to make sense in hindsight, but for example, I had no idea that my sell through on the Afternic network would be similar to the DAN landing pages.

My thinking was that the Make Offer option would also catch potential buyers who were interested but not quite able to buy at the full price. I constantly get FOMO that I'm losing buyers if I only have BIN. But the data says that, whilst I may lose buyers, the overall yield could be better (as long as pricing is right!).
    And Make Offer does have a place, but it may be more efficient above a certain point such as $5000.

I'm a slow thinker - so I'm going to digest some of this over the coming week and then plan for next steps.
    Thanks again for your kind words and support.

15. Nikul Sanghvi

User's Time:
    Thank you. I don't know anything about .de domains, apologies. I won't be investing in them because understand the demands of the .de market. However, I'm sure that there is plenty of opportunity for someone that has their finger on the pulse.

16. TauseefKhan

TauseefKhan Established Member

User's Time:
    6:00 PM
    Well, gone thru the entire report. And, it's awesome! Wishing you a record-breaking 2021!

17. boker

boker Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    Great analysis as usual, thanks for sharing. I'm on the same page with you regarding dan.com landing pages and afternic. The main thing that holds you back is the final net profit of around 30k( I'm just guessing, knowing the tax % in most EU countries, I'm not sure about UK). I would have guessed that for a 140k sales with this strategy, you will remain with much more net profit, but the acquisitions, taxes, commissions and high renewals are eating your profit. I have a portfolio of just over 500 domains, the majority of them hand regs, but the low acquisition cost( doing lots of promo's) and low renewals(dropping some and doing promo's as well) it's helping me to squeeze as much net profit as you and that's not fair for you. Again, it's not easy work, taking me way much more time to deal with everything and I need to sell hundreds when you sell tens, but the profit is roughly the same. Your big advantage is that investing higher, you could hit the jackpot with one-two big sales a year and that will push you way ahead. I'm intending to reach 2k this year with this strategy and try another strategy which will involve a few expensive acquisitions, we will see how it will work out.

18. Bonsu

Bonsu Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    @Nikul Sanghvi You my friend are amazing. I always look forward to your report at the end of each year and it's encouraging as you keep grinding .co sales.
    I know the pressure that comes from domaining as your only source of income with a family to take care of.
    Success 🙌🙌🙌

19. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    yes it gets more tricky if u have family.. but single guy aky is limit in terms of digital nomad life from domains... arguably for that kind of life I'd venture to say it may be the best way to earn living... not photo shots...not blogs.. etc..

thats just imo...

however it is insanely huge difference what a single 10k domain sale can do for u in Thailand...Bulgaria...Vietnam.. india...Peru...Pakistan...and many more... versus that same sale being almost meaningless in usa... canada...etc..

if people knew this I'm sure more would be digital nomads...

there are myriad income and money inequalities around world and great thing about domaining is it sets some of them equal

20. Nikul Sanghvi

User's Time:
    Thanks @boker. The business would have net around $90k before taxes, but I decided to reinvest half of that this year into acquisitions. That meant eating into some of our own personal savings - but it also means that the business has more assets on the balance sheet, and that I'm planting seeds/trees for the future. I was lucky to have those savings to cover part of my living expenses - without them, I would not have the opportunity to push that capital upstream into higher quality inventory.

21. boker

boker Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    That sounds much closer to what I was expecting. The main question will be, if you used that 45k to replace your inventory at the same value of the one's sold or you have invested that amount to buy some 3-4 times more/better quality? I'm reinvesting each year to replace my inventory, but paying bills and stuff doesn't leave room to expand as I would want...need to change that this year.

22. Nikul Sanghvi

User's Time:
    I was in a very similar position to you last year - there wasn't enough budget to buy the domains I really wanted. This year, I didn't want to replace like-for-like... but the market prices were significantly higher compared to last year, so I didn't quite have the same purchasing power. I ended up using that $45k to buy domains like the ones mentioned below and a handful of others:

23. kalr

kalr Top Contributor VIP

User's Time:
    10:00 PM
    Just wanted to say this was a amazing thread. Thanks @Nikul Sanghvi PanutanQ.

24. DAN.COM

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace Dan.com Staff VIP Gold Account

User's Time:
    Amazing in-depth post Nikul, thanks for sharing this!

If we may propose something for 2021, one test we'd strongly advise is to start adding BIN prices for 50% of your DAN listed domains and to start using our LTO model for those names.

This way you can benchmark the power of our LTO model for your DAN listed names which should generate between 40%-60% more revenue for you in the coming year and also help to build a recurring and increasing income from your portfolio.

Some buyers will not complete their payment plan, this is something that's part of accepting installments, however, our data shows that LTO increases the liquidity and total revenue generated for liquid portfolios like yours.

Good luck and all the best in 2021!

25. Nikul Sanghvi

User's Time:
    Thank you!

I do have BIN prices on all my domains at the moment. I also disabled the Make Offer option yesterday.

I am interested to try payment plans / LTO but I'm also concerned about reducing cash flow. It's good to know that the LTO model could generate 40-60% more sales, but I'm also aware that will slow down how much capital I can reinvest. And at the moment, I am confident that I can can outpace those extra sales by having the cash upfront and reinvesting (within the same timeframe as the payment plan). The LTO model reduces the power of that compounding effect.

With the trajectory of the aftermarket prices, I'm also wondering if the purchasing power of $1000 (for example) will be greater today compared to having $1400 in a year or two years time. (I appreciate I've oversimplified that, as the payments get spread out over the course of those months.)

Thank you guys for building, innovating and driving our industry forward. I'm looking forward to hearing more at your NamesCon session this Friday :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice