IT.COM

Allowing domains to be stolen via AN: Is this possible?

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Here is a scenario.

1. A name drops, and I register it.
2. But someone else lists it on Afternic (before me).
3. He sets the price, and tries to allow fast transfer.
4. I get fast transfer email from my registrar.
5. I don't interpret it as fast transfer, I consider it as listing on Afternic, not knowing
I haven't tried to list it on Afternic yet, and allow fast transfer on my registrar account.
6. Then when domain is sold, he gets the money. And I don't even know my domain was stolen.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has it happened to you? I can only say examine emails carefully even if expecting them.

•••
I'm not sure. Probably not yet. Contents of email are not clear. It says, login, then enable Afternic. Enabe what: listing, or dsl. Why would such an email be sent. Either I tried to list it, and since it was listed under another account, Afternic wants to make sure it is my domain; or I (or someone else) listed it, put a fixed price on it, and it is ready for dsl enabling, or something similar.

Last edited:
•••
Contact them and make sure you have it locked. It won't be able to be transferred for 60 days I would assume anyway so It cannot happen.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back