Dynadot

debate All good names (with reasonable renewals) are gone?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

My feeling:

1. There are no remaining new gTLD names left that are good and worth to hand register as a domainer (I obviously mean the extensions that already have been released), except some with ridiculous high renewal fees?! All reasonable prized names with a "favorable" keyword - extension match are long gone already?!

2. Also, there are not that many good ones that are dropped either. Personally I can find two - three good dropped ones a month, but it's almost "easier" to find decent dropped .COM names already.

Would you agree? Or maybe disagree?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I checked a name in the .live extension and it was £2k per year renewal. What a joke, so in ten years you would need to have paid over £20k (about $30,000) for it.

You could probably buy the dot com version for less and only need $10 a year to renew, therefore no overheads and increasing value each year as the name becomes more valuable.

•••
I wouldn't say all.. have to check BIG lists and spend hours and hours to get gems, as usual :)

•••
Given typical portfolio turnover, median sales price, and renewal costs, a large percentage of domainers are operating in a negative cash flow position. That is unsustainable over the long-term so eventually drops or cheap aftermarket opportunities result.

Sometimes I will check the status of recent drops and find the new registrant has it priced for between $2500 up to even $20k. If no one wanted it for low $XXX a few months ago, who do they think is going to pay five figures for it?

•••
I wouldn't say all.. have to check BIG lists and spend hours and hours to get gems, as usual :)

I'm spending hours and hours doing this, but you are probably right. "All" should be replaced with "most".

•••
Given typical portfolio turnover, median sales price, and renewal costs, a large percentage of domainers are operating in a negative cash flow position. That is unsustainable over the long-term so eventually drops or cheap aftermarket opportunities result.

Sometimes I will check the status of recent drops and find the new registrant has it priced for between $2500 up to even $20k. If no one wanted it for low $XXX a few months ago, who do they think is going to pay five figures for it?

My average sale is about $400 for ngTLDs. You are right, many people are overvaluing their own names.

•••
yes all names are in this state, only some names with bizzare prices will remain floating and waitig for their future owner

in this situation, a better solution will be to lower the price because the price must be like hosting fee, not more.

edit : by bizzare i mean 'unusable', they don't understand that they are holding both the use and adoption by that policy, it's a marketing problem, not analytical one...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back