IT.COM

debate Aged Domains? A domainer trend

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

.X.

In God I TrustTop Member
Impact
I have seen a lot of titles in domain name listings referring to "Aged Domain" and from what i am seeing it turns some domainers on, what does age have to do with anything? Well, not much really, it can actually be a big negative if the domain was developed and has been blacklisted by Google and ect, The very valuable and mid level names are most certainly going to be aged automatically, 3L.coms, 4L.com NNL.com and good dictionary words, nice two and three word names are guaranteed to be aged, they hold their weight in value alone. not because they aged though.

There is nothing wrong with domainer trends IMO, they keep the domain industry economy a float, but paying a premium price for an aged domain name itself, makes no sense to me. their are plenty of crap domain names out there that are 18 years old, but i see that people will buy them because of their age. Domain names are not baseball cards or antiques, I see it somewhat of a way to make a quick buck, i can get 18 to 20 year old domain names all day long. the vast majority are worthless. but they are readily available at my finger tips to hand register. would i be doing you a justice by selling you a aged 18 year old domain name?? absolutely not IMO, but i am seeing i could make some quick bucks if wanted to doing so, .X. doesn't do business like that. I don't condone those who do, but i also don't blame the ones who do it, contradicting?? No, this industry has always had different fad stages, and i believe that each seller and buyer are entitled to participate in the fads and enjoy domaining, that is what we are here for. every domainer has their turn ons, As do i, mine being mining and spinning up domain names to register, that is what gets me off, keeps me happy and rocks my world in domaining. And many would say that is crazy! their are no hand reg domains left that are any good, or worth any money, they are all takin" , And i wont argue that the vast majority are taken or at the auction houses. but those few that remain out there, Ooooo yeah baby, that is what makes me keep domaining.

So , what does age have to do with it??

Do you believe aged domain names are a domainer trend right now, or are they the real deal??

I respect everyones reasoning for whatever they contribute to domaining, niche, passion for domaining, Those are the reasons we love domaining, rather for making money, developing websites, collecting, Yes, their are domain collectors lol. at the end of the day, it all comes out the same, we all love Naming.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There might just be the odd good domain amongst all those aged domains. It's possible. They're not all 100% bad :)

•••
I already gave up replying in threads about an importance of domain age. If people choose to believe in b.s. - let them believe. For SEO domains market, the domain age still means something, albeit much less than few years ago. But in the name market, no end user gives a shit about the domain age.

•••
There might just be the odd good domain amongst all those aged domains. It's possible. They're not all 100% bad
There might just be the odd good domain amongst all those aged domains. It's possible. They're not all 100% bad :)

There are some for sure, But my point is, buying a domain because it is aged alone, makes no sense to me.

stub, remember the days of the fad , Ovt /w extension? = Automatic traffic?? Remember how many lost their ass on buying those names? The same thing applies here IMO

•••
I already gave up replying in threads about an importance of domain age. If people choose to believe in b.s. - let them believe. For SEO domains market, the domain age still means something, albeit much less than few years ago. But in the name market, no end user gives a sh*t about the domain age.

Agreed, I have never had an end user say, the domain is not old enough lol

•••
age means quality...most cases

no age means no quality...most cases

no magic here ;]

•••
age means quality...most cases

no age means no quality...most cases

no magic here ;]

Interesting post, Do you mind sharing your theory on this?

•••
•••
•••
finewine.jpg

•••
Fair enough, Your opinion is respected.

I do not mean to sound boring or unwilling to play.. or debate... and I appreciate you respect my opinion.. however I must insist that my post was neither opinion nor theory.. but fact. therefore it is not really possible for me to explain my theory...

what I essentially said was what was said countless times before in countless places on namepros by countless people.. which is that .... age is not a guarantee of a quality domain.. but often (ie: in most cases) quality domains are aged...

so thats essentially what I said above.. when I used the word MOST.. that most quality names are aged.. and most low quality names are not aged.

or yet another similar way to say it... (and there are a few more):
if you want quality names, you will have more chance to find them among aged names, than non aged names...

etc etc.. it all basically means same. :)

it is just how it works. not everything in life is an opinion or theory. there are also some facts. I do not care to be right or wrong. I get nothing out of this. I just care for facts to be heard and made known.. even though from that too, I get nothing at all :)

cheers.

•••
Agreed, I posted that initially, concerning the Tier 1 and Tier 2 names, They are all indeed taken, and can only be bought, not hand registered.

•••
I myself like to "let them sit and age like good whisky, get offers weekly on hand reggies"

•••
I myself like to "let them sit and age like good whisky, get offers weekly on hand reggies"

Yep, because i am not a reseller, I sell very little, but i do get offers weekly on hand reggies, and??

•••
Maybe just a trend, there's so many terms people use for fluffing up listings. Page rank is gone now so people push these semrush, rank, trust scores...whats next right

•••
There are some for sure, But my point is, buying a domain because it is aged alone, makes no sense to me.

stub, remember the days of the fad , Ovt /w extension? = Automatic traffic?? Remember how many lost their ass on buying those names? The same thing applies here IMO

I've got no problem with your meaning. But I think @alcy said my meaning clearer than me. I haven't made a study about this but as a population of all names. The names of the most expensive domains, would generally be older rather than newer. We can always point to some exceptions of course.

•••
Maybe just a trend, there's so many terms people use for fluffing up listings. Page rank is gone now so people push these semrush, rank, trust scores...whats next right

I definitely agree, PR is gone, OVT W/ extension is gone, i have found the trust scores not always be so accurate, I do remember investors-resellers requesting PR names and OVT w/extension names back in the day. The problem i had with those, Their were many with fake PR, and OVT w/ extension names lost their overture with the quickness, and the traffic was null, but yet i saw thousands of dollars spent specifically on PR and OVT names with expectations of getting a large amount of type in traffic, only to be disappointed in the results.

I may be totally wrong, but i see a resemblance in low level domains with age, regged in 1999 for example, being a trend for domainer to domainer sales. Those days of people paying a premium for PR and OVT w/ extension domain names with high expectations was not a good thing in the industry when it was all said and done. IMO

•••
I've got no problem with your meaning. But I think @alcy said my meaning clearer than me. I haven't made a study about this but as a population of all names. The names of the most expensive domains, would generally be older rather than newer. We can always point to some exceptions of course.

I tried to explain my position in my initial post starting the thread, as far as tier 1 and 2 aged domains go, perhaps i didn't put it in it's proper context.

My thing is this, I have no problem with people doing anything they wish, as long as people are not getting hurt in the process, when people start getting hurt by actions that effect people and their families well being, I get really pissed off. when i say people getting hurt, i mean people that are getting ripped off and their money being taken for anything that is actually false, that does hurt people and their families. as was such the case with many sold PR and OVT w/ extension names, that were worthless. that is all i am saying. and if i am wrong about what i am seeing with sales of lower level aged names selling for premium prices. that are virtually worthless, aged, yes. asdenrenwq.com "example , get this 16 year old gem of a premium name. Is BS to me. It reminds me of the PR and OVT w/extension sales that people where ripped off.

But like i said. i may be totally wrong on my observation.

•••
i meant this as fact...not theory
I disagree. Not a fact, especially since you yourself qualify your statements as in most cases. This is an opinion (and a good opinion fwiw) but def not a fact

•••
that most quality names are aged
I can show you a ton of expiring domains which are pretty aged but worthless! It's definitely not most

and most low quality names are not aged
Again, most is a little extreme. A lot yet, but not most

•••
I can show you a ton of expiring domains which are pretty aged but worthless! It's definitely not most

Again, most is a little extreme. A lot yet, but not most

Excellent points made. @anantj

I will further say this on this topic,

I "Could" hand register domain names 10 to 19 years old, I could post them for sale, fluff up the title of the for sale domain, plug in emphasis in the title that this is premium aged 15 year old domain. If i sell it for $25 , i only paid 6.99 for it. flipped it for a profit of $18 per name i sell. easy money, and as i see what could be a domainer trend going on, i suspect i would sell them like candy bars.

Would i do it? absolutely not, why? not only is it unethical, but it is in essence ripping someone off IMO.

I have lists containing 100's of aged domains, that are available to register right now. As i am sure many domainers do as well.

So why don't i just jump in and make some quick cash? I mean, it would be the buyers stupidity to buy them right? So i have done nothing wrong right?

making quick cash taking advantage of inexperienced domainers, perhaps naive domainers , Is so wrong in every way. their is no way a person can justify in their mind that such acts is ok. You reap what you sew, and Karma is a bitch.

I see, and understand that the majority of domainers "Today" see domaining as strictly business, flipping and making money is what it is all about. No problem, go for it, good luck. I have been here on NPs for 18 years, you have no idea how many people i have seen come into this industry with a so called "Business Strategy" they stay about year, then you never see them again. another one bites the dust. and i will be here at NPs another 18 years God willing, and i will see the same thing i have seen the last 18, that i can guarantee.

Rather these "Aged Beauties" have actual value?, is this "Aged" domain fad between domainers something that will end up with a bunch of angry people once it is over?? Is this domainer trend in the same category as the PR and OVT w/extension that cost many domainer thousands of dollars and produced nothing?? well, that is what this thread is about and your opinion matters, no matter what it is. Good, Bad or indifferent

Last edited:
•••
A 10 to 19 year old domain cannot be hand regged because they are already registered.

•••
A 10 to 19 year old domain cannot be hand regged because they are already registered.

Wrong! so Wrong!

stub you have been here a long time, I don't know what your exact niche is domaining, but mine is spinning names, and always has been, I have an APP that was written by an old friend here, I paid dearly for it, believe me. spinning and mining names is what i did when i started domaining, It has been my niche since day one.

•••
Wrong! so Wrong!

stub you have been here a long time, I don't know what your exact niche is domaining, but mine is spinning names, and always has been, I have an APP that was written by an old friend here, I paid dearly for it, believe me. spinning and mining names is what i did when i started domaining, It has been my niche since day one.

Any domain you register is a new domain. It doesn't carry any age from the past. This is basic domaining 101.

Last edited:
•••
Age is important when purchasing .com domains but perhaps the most indicative factor of domain value is TLD's taken. This of course is entirely subjective as some trends develop later on so names may only be 3-5 years old when they reach peak value....a good example would be the Crypto Domain trend.

You can have a name registered since the 90's and it could only be registered in .com.
You can also have a name registered during the same period with over 100 extensions taken.

Age+10 or more tlds taken = Potentially valuable domain.
Age+1 tld taken= Someone's special hand reg.

Age to me is defined as the number of years the domain has been registered without dropping. If a name is dropped then it's age resets back to 0. Therefore previously registered domains that are dropped and then picked up by domainers either via hand registration or drop catching are not aged domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back