Dynadot

debate Aged Domains? A domainer trend

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

.X.

In God I TrustTop Member
Impact
I have seen a lot of titles in domain name listings referring to "Aged Domain" and from what i am seeing it turns some domainers on, what does age have to do with anything? Well, not much really, it can actually be a big negative if the domain was developed and has been blacklisted by Google and ect, The very valuable and mid level names are most certainly going to be aged automatically, 3L.coms, 4L.com NNL.com and good dictionary words, nice two and three word names are guaranteed to be aged, they hold their weight in value alone. not because they aged though.

There is nothing wrong with domainer trends IMO, they keep the domain industry economy a float, but paying a premium price for an aged domain name itself, makes no sense to me. their are plenty of crap domain names out there that are 18 years old, but i see that people will buy them because of their age. Domain names are not baseball cards or antiques, I see it somewhat of a way to make a quick buck, i can get 18 to 20 year old domain names all day long. the vast majority are worthless. but they are readily available at my finger tips to hand register. would i be doing you a justice by selling you a aged 18 year old domain name?? absolutely not IMO, but i am seeing i could make some quick bucks if wanted to doing so, .X. doesn't do business like that. I don't condone those who do, but i also don't blame the ones who do it, contradicting?? No, this industry has always had different fad stages, and i believe that each seller and buyer are entitled to participate in the fads and enjoy domaining, that is what we are here for. every domainer has their turn ons, As do i, mine being mining and spinning up domain names to register, that is what gets me off, keeps me happy and rocks my world in domaining. And many would say that is crazy! their are no hand reg domains left that are any good, or worth any money, they are all takin" , And i wont argue that the vast majority are taken or at the auction houses. but those few that remain out there, Ooooo yeah baby, that is what makes me keep domaining.

So , what does age have to do with it??

Do you believe aged domain names are a domainer trend right now, or are they the real deal??

I respect everyones reasoning for whatever they contribute to domaining, niche, passion for domaining, Those are the reasons we love domaining, rather for making money, developing websites, collecting, Yes, their are domain collectors lol. at the end of the day, it all comes out the same, we all love Naming.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And domain you register is a new domain. It doesn't carry any age from the past. This is basic domaining 101.

Your serious???

ok,. i hand regged youelectronic.com day before yesterday, go to domainindex, put in, come back and tell me it's age, I hand reg many- many names that cross the 10 year barrier, every week

Last edited:
•••
Yep. Dead Serious. I go to any whois and it tells me it has been registered yesterday.

•••
Your serious???

ok,. i hand regged youelectronic.com day before yesterday, go to domainindex, put in, come back and tell me it's age

It's age is 1 day old. When it was dropped the age reset to zero. Once you registered it the clock started ticking again.

Registration=Birth
Age= Time spent living
Expiration=Death

This is the domain life cycle. I'm sure you know this.

•••
You said quote : Any domain you register is a new domain. It doesn't carry any age from the past. This is basic domaining 101

You went to domainindex and saw that name i hand registered is 7 years old, right?

I didn't register it because it was 7 years old, I registered it because i liked it.

Last edited:
•••
You said quote : Any domain you register is a new domain. It doesn't carry any age from the past. This is basic domaining 101

You went to domainindex and saw that name i hand registered is 7 years old, right?

Domain index uses cached data on domains that is not updated daily or even monthly.

•••
Domain index uses cached data on domains that is not updated daily or even monthly.

LOL, ok. whatever you say, The fact is, the domain has a 7 year life, only one day of it has been with me.

•••
•••

I didn't register it because it was 7 years old, I registered it because i liked it.

It's a brand new 1 day old domain.

•••
LOL, ok. whatever you say, The fact is, the domain has a 7 year life, only one day of it has been with me.

The domain lived for 7 years, died and then was registered once again to start a new life. It's a newly registered domain. It's age is 0.

Don't use domainindex.com for finding a domains age. Just check the whois and you'll know when it was registered....that date tells you the age.

•••
@.X.

Put your name through this: https://gwhois.org/

Of course, the name just got regged yesterday by me, but the history of the domain name goes back 7 years, not that it makes a crap, but i check history on names i register to see what it was by it's previous owner and ect.

•••
@.X.

Put your name through this: https://gwhois.org/

This is probably the most respected independant whois on the planet. It's what I used to check this domain also.

I'm really surprised that @.X. , a domainer who has been on NP longer than me does not understand this simple fact.

If you tried to sell one of these domains to me as an aged domain, without mentioning it was newly registered I'd immediately report you to the mods and put you on my ignore list.

Last edited:
•••
Of course, the name just got regged yesterday by me, but the history of the domain name goes back 7 years, not that it makes a crap, but i check history on names i register to see what it was by it's previous owner and ect.

In domaining:

HISTORY≠ AGE

Those are two categorically different aspects of a domain.

•••
It's a brand new 1 day old domain.

So does every name that sells for x,xxx and xx,xxx off of the auction houses, the history of the domain is important as you know, If a domain is 7-10-19 years old, that is when it was born, it has a history of some kind. it was dropped, and picked up.

•••
So does every name that sells for x,xxx and xx,xxx off of the auction houses, the history of the domain is important as you know, If a domain is 7-10-19 years old, that is when it was born, it has a history of some kind. it was dropped, and picked up.

They are as old as their last registration. Full Stop.

•••
This is probably the most respected independant whois on the planet. It's what I used to check this domain also.

I'm really surprised that @.X. , a domainer who has been on NP longer than me does not understand this simple fact.

If you tried to sell one of these domains to me as an aged domain, without mentioning it was newly registered I'd immediately report you to the mods and put you on my ignore list.

Excellent Point stub! and i think my point of this thread is starting to come to light, so i posted a name, i claimed it was 7 years old, it shows to have 7 year history, But, it is actually a newly registered domain name as you say. now check this out, go to the auction -buy now and ect forums here, you will see people selling names with the emphasis saying the name is ?? years old, most have been dropped and either bought from auction houses or registered, You see where i am coming from about "aged" domain name sales now?? The whole reasoning of posting that name, was to show that these so called aged domains are not aged at all, so the sales pitch of "rare 17 year old .com" is total BS

Last edited:
•••
Excellent Point stub! and i think my point of this thread is starting to come to light, so i posted a name, i claimed it was 7 years old, it shows to have 7 year history, But, it is actually a newly registered domain name as you say. now check this out, go to the auction -buy now and ect forums here, you will see people selling names with the emphasis saying the name is ?? years old, most have been dropped and either bought from auction houses or registered, You see where i am coming from about "aged" domain name sales now?? The whole reasoning of posting that name, was to show that these so called aged domains are not aged at all, so the sales pitch of "rare 17 year old .com" is total BS

Absolutely. And anybody using those tatics is not to be trusted as a seller.

Last edited:
•••
Absolutely.

That is exactly what this thread is about, and i would contact admin too, like you said, but many-many domainers do not know any better, and i am trying to bring that to light, I am not trying to stop any sales or mess up anyones flow, but i think this needs to be addressed, so people do know the facts when purchasing a name that has a claim of being 10 years old as the sales pitch for inflating the price based on that statement

Last edited:
•••
That is exactly what this thread is about, and i would contact admin too, like you said, but many-many domainers do not know any better, and i am trying to bring that to light, I am not trying to stop any sales or mess up anyones flow, but i think this needs to be addressed, so people do know the facts when purchasing a name that has a claim of being 10 years old.

I actually edited my post before you replied. The full text was......

Absolutely. And anybody using those tactics is not to be trusted as a seller.

•••
I actually edited my post before you replied. The full text was......

Absolutely. And anybody using those tactics is not to be trusted as a seller.

I agree 100% , It has the same pitch as the o'l names that were for sale with fake PR IMO

•••
That is exactly what this thread is about, and i would contact admin too, like you said, but many-many domainers do not know any better, and i am trying to bring that to light, I am not trying to stop any sales or mess up anyones flow, but i think this needs to be addressed, so people do know the facts when purchasing a name that has a claim of being 10 years old as the sales pitch for inflating the price based on that statement

Do you think it has been addressed fully enough now?

•••

BTW. If you do see any domains like that for sale on NP, you should immediately report the thread to the mods.

•••
Do you think it has been addressed fully enough now?

LOL, sorry stub, i do apologize, and i mean that, but it is very concerning to me, This industry has taken a beating over the years for similar circumstances such as this, the integrity of the industry is at a all time low with end users, and it's not a wonder why the end users are so cautious.

Last edited:
•••
LOL, sorry stub, i do apologize, and i mean that, but it is very concerning to me, This industry has taken a beating over the years for similar circumstances such as this, the integrity of the industry is at a all time low with end users, and it's now wonder why the end users are so cautious.

And it's more likely to become worse, not better, as the pool of potential domainers becomes larger and larger.

•••
BTW. If you do see any domains like that for sale on NP, you should immediately report the thread to the mods.

Well, i am not sure that many of the sellers doing this, think they are doing anything wrong, I think in a lot cases, they may just no any better, similar to the examples of domainindex vs whois, they may just not understand.

•••
And it's more likely to become worse, not better, as the pool of potential domainers becomes larger and larger.

Yes it is, i agree

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back