Domain Empire

Afternic 'Pending Sale'

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OceanKing

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

Afternic shows one of my domain is 'Pending Sale' since 3 Days (From Thursday to Sunday now).

This is my first experience with afternic.
Googling shoes this mean some one brought my domain @ bin. But afternic yet to clear his payment.

Should I keep any hope that the sale will go through ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This has happened to me. Quite often I will raise the BIN price by 20 - 30%. On two occasions, the purchaser has come back to complete purchase at higher price.

This is interesting :)

•••
In most cases, it may take 7 days to find out if a pending sale is completed.

•••
This is a flaw in the MLS system.

Whenever someone just places any domain for sale on Afternic's MLS in their shopping cart it immediately puts the domain in a "Pending" sale status in the owners Afternic account.

I went to one of the mls websites (Network Solutions) to test this and as a guest I searched for one of my domains listed for sale and I just clicked Add to Cart and instantly that domain went into Pending Sale in my Afternic account.

I immediately removed it from the cart but it has yet to change its status from Pending to Listed and its been several hours already.

I don't know how long it will stay in Pending Sale but every minute its in there it cant be sold on the MLS.
And if that happens to be 6 days or a week then that is a problem

I would prefer it go into a Pending Sale status only when the buyer actually makes the payment and not before.

I would appreciate if someone else would test one of their domains to see if I am correct.

Thanks
No i just tried this method but my both domain was still for sale at afternic i have tried on different AN partner registrars and my experience says when buyer put your domain in cart and made payment then your domain goes into pending sale status...

•••
This is a flaw in the MLS system.

Whenever someone just places any domain for sale on Afternic's MLS in their shopping cart it immediately puts the domain in a "Pending" sale status in the owners Afternic account.

I went to one of the mls websites (Network Solutions) to test this and as a guest I searched for one of my domains listed for sale and I just clicked Add to Cart and instantly that domain went into Pending Sale in my Afternic account.

I immediately removed it from the cart but it has yet to change its status from Pending to Listed and its been several hours already.

I don't know how long it will stay in Pending Sale but every minute its in there it cant be sold on the MLS.
And if that happens to be 6 days or a week then that is a problem

I would prefer it go into a Pending Sale status only when the buyer actually makes the payment and not before.

I would appreciate if someone else would test one of their domains to see if I am correct.

Thanks
I did indeed tried it just a moment ago with one of my domain and it's currently on Pending Sale. This is a huge flaw that need to be addressed quickly.

All it takes it just to click on buy now as a guest, even without creating an account, and your domain goes to pending sale. Let someone tag GoDaddy people to address this ASAP.

Last edited:
•••
You might be right. After my last post here, i saw a thread where a godaddy rep said the pending sale /hold status instruction differ from one partner to another. They have partners that request a pending sale status/hold on domain immediately their visitors add names to cart while some partners request a pending sale status/hold only when they receive money for the domain. I think the instructions to hold doesn't originate from Afternic. Which of the registra did you use? I think i tried namecheap the last time and my names didn't enter a pending sale, meaning namecheap will receive payment before instructing afternic to hold the domain. The only benefit i see here is even if the domain didn't sell, you know someone is considering your domain, don't drop
Fair points you made. And I think that's the only positive. The rest are negative IMHO.

I tried it at GoDaaddy as a guest. What this means is that anyone who's familiar with your domains could easily put em out of sales for 7days, and may do it repeatedly.

•••
•••
I get this from time to time. If the purchase was due to having not updated the price recently, and I'm not happy with the price, I simply delete the domain (since nothing is in black and white) and relist at a new price after a couple of days. If the price is OK I just leave it to either turn into a sale or it goes away.

•••
I get this from time to time. If the purchase was due to having not updated the price recently, and I'm not happy with the price, I simply delete the domain (since nothing is in black and white) and relist at a new price after a couple of days. If the price is OK I just leave it to either turn into a sale or it goes away.
How do you remove a pending sale domain? Their control panel seems to lock domains in pending sale status.

Last edited:
•••
The pending sale status more than likely means pending reception of funds. The potential buyer may have just left it in the cart to think it over.

It should not be left in this state for more than a few hours, at which point it should revert to its original for sale status.

From my understanding. It's the Registrar used which has the ability to extend this wait time for days. Presumably by, as you say, allowing the potential buyer simply leave it in the cart for some time to think it over. Blocking anyone else from purchasing the domain. This is not supposed to work like that. It's supposed to work by allowing a buyer to purchase a domain, immediately.

•••

Last edited:
•••
I have a domain that has been pending sale for 2 days and I do not think the funds are being processed. I think someone put it in the shopping cart and then forgot about it, so I can not do anything with this domain right now.

I was thinking in a situation:

I have a domain and another domainer has a similar domain, but plural, so my domain should be better. This other domainer is negotiating with a buyer and to get an advantage he puts my domain in his shopping cart at one of afternic's partners, so his potential buyer can not see my domain.

I really think that afternic should only place a hold if the payment is processing.

•••
I have a domain that has been pending sale for 2 days and I do not think the funds are being processed. I think someone put it in the shopping cart and then forgot about it, so I can not do anything with this domain right now.

I was thinking in a situation:

I have a domain and another domainer has a similar domain, but plural, so my domain should be better. This other domainer is negotiating with a buyer and to get an advantage he puts my domain in his shopping cart at one of afternic's partners, so his potential buyer can not see my domain.

I really think that afternic should only place a hold if the payment is processing.

Agree.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back