Afternic experiment of January 2020

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

Last month I did an experiment with my entire portfolio by moving from Uniregistry sales lander to Afternic and today I would like to share some data with everyone to understand what happened last month.

As I keep sharing the number of domains in my portfolio which has now grown little over 3,500 to keep in mind.

I was contacted by many fellow domain investors for knowing how the new experiment worked out for me and I’m thankful to each of those for asking me.

My Afternic manager shared the reports from which I would like to disclose some key stats for better understanding.

1. There were inquiries on little over 500 domains in the entire month of January 2020.
  2. Had couple of sales, one of which was DKAM.com which sold via BIN for $15,888. My first sale of 2020 and that too of 5 figures!
  3. One of the sale happened via GoDaddy cart and the other via Reseller cart which I think means via partner registrar of Afternic.
  4. None of those sales happened via sales lander which to me doesn’t mean the change hasn’t worked out. Sometimes the leads are in progress/negotiations going on with brokers and you never know when the domain gets sold.
Overall, I’m happy with the change even though there isn’t a sale made yet via the change I made last month. Also to note, the change I made was after a week was passed. However, I’ll stick to my plan of giving this change a time of at least 6 months and see how it works out.

Feel free to give your feedback or share your experience if you're using Afternic landers.

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you share an example of their landing page you're using? Also what's your experience using GD landers compare to Afternic landers?

https://in.auctions.godaddy.com/trpItemListing.aspx?miid=285384007

Its not best landing page but with Godaddy logo on top and on click taking to Godaddy checkout, it trust worthy in the eyes of buyer. No i don't use it because of 20% commission but listed my domains in Afternic .

For this to work, you have to forward to the page. you can try few hundred domains initially

•••
So I got my Afternic stats also for 2019.

22 total, 16 wherefrom Network(fast transfer), 6 from Landers. I had domains parked for 8 months there, so not the full picture.

•••
Thanks for Sharing this test with us Congrats on the 5 Figure sale @AbdulBasit.com

•••
I believe he simply sticks to the (retail) price, and awaits for the right end buyer.

It's as simple as that.

no i insist.. he got quality names too ;)

•••
•••
•••
Did you read my post? I wrote, "I do not want to do that!"
And you speak from the seller's side, they write you "Hello, we have an interested person, add a price to your name!" or "Someone offered $5K do you accept it?"

But do you know how many hours they have to be on the phone to sell one domain?

I always say you can`t get rich if you live like a cheapskate. You have to give money out in order to make it.

As I said I don't want to argue with you, everyone has their own ways to conduct their business.

The point I was trying to make is that Sedo has brokers too and they work for 15%, Epik and Dan as well and they work for 9% . They also spend many hours on the phone trying to close deals, you know?

Anyway, let's not get this thread on a different direction. @AbdulBasit.com thanks for sharing this, please keep us posted on how your experiment works out!

•••
Nice experiment Abdul, thx for sharing. Which nameserver pair you are using at (ns3/ns4 or ns1/ns2)?
Of all these inquiries you stated, they were generated via the form submissions or via calls placed to the number given on the landers?

•••
Nice experiment Abdul, thx for sharing. Which nameserver pair you are using at (ns3/ns4 or ns1/ns2)?
Of all these inquiries you stated, they were generated via the form submissions or via calls placed to the number given on the landers?

I'm using ns3/ns4.
I think ns1/ns2 are for parking.

I think those inquiries were generated via both form submissions and calls. Don't have the exact data for this that's why I think...

•••
@AbdulBasit.com Thanks for the update! Do you have only .com in your portfolio?

•••
Thank you for sharing. I also use Afternic, because your listings show up in godaddy search and in godaddy auctions, where I have gotten 3 price requests in the last 2 weeks. I don't use their landers though.

My only issue with Afternic is that they are having trouble changing my email notifications to be sent to the updated email in my account... Kind of buggy and I'm still waiting after 7 - 10 days for them to fix this.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for sharing
How you know the numbers of inquiries while almost all of your domains are set to BIN.
Thanks

•••
•••
The point I was trying to make is that Sedo has brokers too and they work for 15%, Epik and Dan as well and they work for 9% . They also spend many hours on the phone trying to close deals, you know?

I doubt that they work for domains below 5 figs

afternic is the only of these
who negotiated a better price than I asked for
ever

•••
•••
I'm happy to try out new things but I haven't found any reason to be convinced in trying Dan as I find it worthless paying them 9% commission for doing almost nothing!

So instead of paying Dan 9% for "doing almost nothing" you are happy to pay 20% to Afternic for "doing almost nothing"...

•••
I'm not going to argue with you, you're right they have sales people, I wouldn't call them brokers though. Those people are just middlemen forwarding offers and emails left or right.
"Hello, we have an interested person, add a price to your name!" or "Someone offered $5K do you accept it?"

I personally think that if someone is in domaining for at least 1-2 years and is not able to manage / self broker a negotiation then he's probably in the wrong game. There might be extreme cases when you really need a broker but these are few and far between.

From what I understand all other marketplaces have brokers as well...

Did you read my post? I wrote, "I do not want to do that!"
And you speak from the seller's side, they write you "Hello, we have an interested person, add a price to your name!" or "Someone offered $5K do you accept it?"

But do you know how many hours they have to be on the phone to sell one domain?

I always say you can`t get rich if you live like a cheapskate. You have to give money out in order to make it.

Last edited:
•••
May I know the reason for you to change from Afternic to Dan landers? Wasn't your experience good enough to keep using their landers?

They say you have to try out new things :)
I was happy. I didn't have to deal with those leads etc.. myself.
Now Dan landers I have also BIN price and no negotiations. I can deal with that. I have maybe noticed, that more buyers from EUROPE, I have not made any statistics, but it looks that way.

I will test it for some months more than see, I want to make at least one of those lease to own model.s

•••
I'm using ns3/ns4.
I think ns1/ns2 are for parking.

I think those inquiries were generated via both form submissions and calls. Don't have the exact data for this that's why I think...
So do you recommend the n3 n4 ? I have small sample to do. Like 150 names.

•••
....Also as far as the ROI is fantastic and yearly turn over in the range of 2.5%, I think that's what matters the most.

A turnover of 2.5% is much better than typical however with an amazing 500 inquiries in just one month it seems far too low, imo.

•••
•••
@AbdulBasit.com Did you opt-in for afternic fast transfer?

As most of my domains are with Uniregistry and they don't offer it till now. But after GoDaddy announcement of acquiring Uniregistry, I'm hopeful to see Fast Transfers integration in near future after which I'll definitely opt-in.

•••
As most of my domains are with Uniregistry and they don't offer it till now. But after GoDaddy announcement of acquiring Uniregistry, I'm hopeful to see Fast Transfers integration in near future after which I'll definitely opt-in.

Really? As far as I know UNI was one of the first ones to offer Fast Transfer a long time ago. They asked me to set it up several years ago.

This on the UNI website promo page: Fast No more waiting hours or days for a deal to complete. At Uni, you're able to use it instantly after purchase.

Last edited:
•••
https://in.auctions.godaddy.com/trpItemListing.aspx?miid=285384007

Its not best landing page but with Godaddy logo on top and on click taking to Godaddy checkout, it trust worthy in the eyes of buyer. No i don't use it because of 20% commission but listed my domains in Afternic .

For this to work, you have to forward to the page. you can try few hundred domains initially

Well, that's definitely not good looking landing page and I would avoid trying it even but thanks for sharing.

•••
Afternic landing page & keyword "domain.ext" search engine result :bag:

ansr.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back