Afternic experiment of January 2020

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

Last month I did an experiment with my entire portfolio by moving from Uniregistry sales lander to Afternic and today I would like to share some data with everyone to understand what happened last month.

As I keep sharing the number of domains in my portfolio which has now grown little over 3,500 to keep in mind.

I was contacted by many fellow domain investors for knowing how the new experiment worked out for me and I’m thankful to each of those for asking me.

My Afternic manager shared the reports from which I would like to disclose some key stats for better understanding.

1. There were inquiries on little over 500 domains in the entire month of January 2020.
  2. Had couple of sales, one of which was DKAM.com which sold via BIN for $15,888. My first sale of 2020 and that too of 5 figures!
  3. One of the sale happened via GoDaddy cart and the other via Reseller cart which I think means via partner registrar of Afternic.
  4. None of those sales happened via sales lander which to me doesn’t mean the change hasn’t worked out. Sometimes the leads are in progress/negotiations going on with brokers and you never know when the domain gets sold.
Overall, I’m happy with the change even though there isn’t a sale made yet via the change I made last month. Also to note, the change I made was after a week was passed. However, I’ll stick to my plan of giving this change a time of at least 6 months and see how it works out.

Feel free to give your feedback or share your experience if you're using Afternic landers.

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've seen fellow domainers saying a huge impact on their sales (positive) when Afternic landers started using GoDaddy logo so many people around the world are aware of GoDaddy unlike Dan which isn't popular.

The only good thing I find at Dan is their payment plan option which is what Uni and Afternic both are missing to date. They should introduce this feature which will bring in lot of more sales.

I don't know what to say re: GoDaddy logo, it's definitely useful to have it there on the page but endusers aren't stupid and they know the page they landed isn't GoDaddy but Afternic. In fact I know a guy who uses his own landing pages and has inserted the GoDaddy logo saying "Domain managed by GoDaddy" or something like that since his names are registered with GD.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're doing something wrong, it was just a suggestion to consider some other options. 99% of my names are on Dan or Epik landers however the last two sales were at Afternic. In this case Afnic fully deserved their 20% commission since they actually got the buyers via the registrar army.

•••
Thank you for sharing
How you know the numbers of inquiries while almost all of your domains are set to BIN.
Thanks

As said in my initial post, "My Afternic manager shared the reports from which I would like to disclose some key stats for better"

Also the BIN is while going through any partner registrars or GoDaddy while the number of inquiries of 500+ domains was calculated based on the landers where inquirer filled the form and submitted.

•••
Always enjoy reading about your planning, the thought process behind your outstanding name sales!

Appreciate the time you take to enlighten the membership about your always high climb up the ladder of domain name success!

•••
Always enjoy reading about your planning, the thought process behind your outstanding name sales!

Appreciate the time you take to enlighten the membership about your always high climb up the ladder of domain name success!

Many thanks for your kind words :xf.love:
This is one of the reason why I keep sharing and will always be doing so.
Thank you very much! :joyful:

•••
•••
•••
I think the trick is using Godaddy. Try Godaddy landing page, people trust Godaddy not afternic, they don't know Afternic is Godaddy company. Godaddy landing page may s**ks but it bring lot of credentials.

Can you share an example of their landing page you're using? Also what's your experience using GD landers compare to Afternic landers?

•••
Congratulations on your sale. Thanks for sharing

•••
True that and I actually upped my Afnic prices but that's not the point.

The point is that Afnic landers offers nothing extra than any others and charges double the fees.

In terms of branding Afnic is on the same foot as Dan, they're both unknown to a potential buyer. Is not that Afnic is a super brand (like GoDaddy) known all over the world, so nothing to gain here.

In terms of design quality Dan's landing pages are far superior imo.

Dan also offers the chance to sell names by installments, Afnic not so much. A startup might not afford let's say Abdul's $20k price in one go but they might be happy to pay this over 6 or 12 months, so you might get some extra recurring sales.

Dan also pays very fast, you don't need to wait a week to get your money.

As far as I understand, there are brokers who deal with the buyers via phone etc.. Salespersons who too it daily. So I do not agree, that 20% is off. I think its fair the amount of work involved.

I mean I have never called via phone any buyer. I do not want to.

And most of those end-users want that someone holds they're hand during the process.

And I still think that DAN would make a lot more sales if they had phone support.

Last edited:
•••
I doubt that they work for domains below 5 figs

afternic is the only of these
who negotiated a better price than I asked for
ever

In my experience as well, Afternic brokers are good in getting better price than I asked for.
Also I've found several Uniregistry brokers worked in similar fashion... at least for myself.

•••
Hello Abdul, How are you doing?

Congratulations on your sale of the $15,888 domain, this is an excellent start to your year.

Still early days but keep the experiment up.

A 6-8 month, even 12 month spread of this experiment will show you the potential results of your experiment, and I am glad that you have taken the urge to carry it on, rather than it just staying as an ‘idea’ in your head.

Taking action gets results and I wish you all the best in all of it.

If you need any help then please don’t hesitate to ask me.

Matt Morgan

•••
•••
Congrats for your sales @AbdulBasit.com ... Its seem like a hidden secret on "Sometimes the leads are in progress/negotiations going on with brokers and you never know when the domain gets sold"

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for sharing, Abdul. I wonder if you can share roughly what % of them are offers under your acquisition price/errors/fake offers? I would guess that only around 10% or so will be genuine and worthy leads. If this will be the average for a year, that means a 0.75 or so STR, at this price point?

•••
That is an incredible statistic with 500 inquiries on 3,500 names in just one month. If that pace continues you will get 6,000 inquiries this year which averages nearly 2 per name. Truly stunning stats. Probably better numbers than anyone else in the long history of NP. What is your secret?

P.S. Can you PM me a link to your list?

well it means he has qualiuty names. but it also means 500 inquiries and only couple of sales is still not good. so i think one of us missed the main point here ;)

•••
well it means he has qualiuty names. but it also means 500 inquiries and only couple of sales is still not good. so i think one of us missed the main point here ;)

I believe he simply sticks to the (retail) price, and awaits for the right end buyer.

It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
•••
You can always make Afternic prices +11%

True that and I actually upped my Afnic prices but that's not the point.

The point is that Afnic landers offers nothing extra than any others and charges double the fees.

In terms of branding Afnic is on the same foot as Dan, they're both unknown to a potential buyer. Is not that Afnic is a super brand (like GoDaddy) known all over the world, so nothing to gain here.

In terms of design quality Dan's landing pages are far superior imo.

Dan also offers the chance to sell names by installments, Afnic not so much. A startup might not afford let's say Abdul's $20k price in one go but they might be happy to pay this over 6 or 12 months, so you might get some extra recurring sales.

Dan also pays very fast, you don't need to wait a week to get your money.

•••
As far as I understand, there are brokers who deal with the buyers via phone etc.. Salespersons who too it daily. So I do not agree, that 20% is off. I think its fair the amount of work involved.

I mean I have never called via phone any buyer. I do not want to.

And most of those end-users want that someone holds they're hand during the process.

And I still think that DAN would make a lot more sales if they had phone support.

I'm not going to argue with you, you're right they have sales people, I wouldn't call them brokers though. Those people are just middlemen forwarding offers and emails left or right.
"Hello, we have an interested person, add a price to your name!" or "Someone offered $5K do you accept it?"

I personally think that if someone is in domaining for at least 1-2 years and is not able to manage / self broker a negotiation then he's probably in the wrong game. There might be extreme cases when you really need a broker but these are few and far between.

From what I understand all other marketplaces have brokers as well...

•••
Yes, ok!
I wanted to say to @AbdulBasit.com that I changed from afternic to dan landers. I have had sales. But no sale via the so-called Lease to own model. 20+ sales, zero from the "lease to own".

So I think it's overrated. But you never know.

•••
Yes, ok!
I wanted to say to @AbdulBasit.com that I changed from afternic to dan landers. I have had sales. But no sale via the so-called Lease to own model. 20+ sales, zero from the "lease to own".

So I think it's overrated. But you never know.

May I know the reason for you to change from Afternic to Dan landers? Wasn't your experience good enough to keep using their landers?

•••
Hello everyone,

Last month I did an experiment with my entire portfolio by moving from Uniregistry sales lander to Afternic and today I would like to share some data with everyone to understand what happened last month.

As I keep sharing the number of domains in my portfolio which has now grown little over 3,500 to keep in mind.

I was contacted by many fellow domain investors for knowing how the new experiment worked out for me and I’m thankful to each of those for asking me.

My Afternic manager shared the reports from which I would like to disclose some key stats for better understanding.

1. There were inquiries on little over 500 domains in the entire month of January 2020.
  2. Had couple of sales, one of which was DKAM.com which sold via BIN for $15,888. My first sale of 2020 and that too of 5 figures!
  3. One of the sale happened via GoDaddy cart and the other via Reseller cart which I think means via partner registrar of Afternic.
  4. None of those sales happened via sales lander which to me doesn’t mean the change hasn’t worked out. Sometimes the leads are in progress/negotiations going on with brokers and you never know when the domain gets sold.
Overall, I’m happy with the change even though there isn’t a sale made yet via the change I made last month. Also to note, the change I made was after a week was passed. However, I’ll stick to my plan of giving this change a time of at least 6 months and see how it works out.

Feel free to give your feedback or share your experience if you're using Afternic landers.

Thank you!

500 Inquiries nice

•••
Congrats Abdul. I only use my own landers (on my own website), 100% redirect to my website. The only other place I list is at Afternic. Approx 75% of my sales last year were from Afternic, almost all from unpriced domains. Any priced domains on Afternic are at my expected price + 25% to pay for their 20% commission. I have approx 3600 .com domains and about 700 of everything else. I have never sold any non-com domains to an end-user. So I must be doing something wrong there. I have close to zero sales from my website. So I think I'm doing something wrong there also. My main question for you is how do you evaluate and price all those domains? That's probably my biggest headache.

if we donot price our afternic names they do not go on their extended network...which defies the purpose...most who make aftrnic sales have bins.... but on larger folios bins are a headache.

•••
Do you receive price requests? Do you have make offer option, in addition to buy now option? Can you communicate with buyers: as far as I know you know nothing about buyers, and you can't communicate with them at Afternic. I also I think Afternic has a robot which picks domains randomly and makes price requests on them, this way they create lots of room for themselves to play, and no room for sellers, you have to guess whether the buyer is real or not, rich or not etc.

Last edited:
•••
So do you recommend the n3 n4 ? I have small sample to do. Like 150 names.

Yes, I recommend ns3/ns4.

I'm not sure if a portfolio of 150 domains will make any big difference but I would still give it a try at least for few months to see clear results...

•••
Really? As far as I know UNI was one of the first ones to offer Fast Transfer a long time ago. They asked me to set it up several years ago.

This on the UNI website promo page: Fast No more waiting hours or days for a deal to complete. At Uni, you're able to use it instantly after purchase.

@KillerName has asked about Afternic Fast Transfers and not Uni Fast Transfers which is for transferring out of domains on instant basis. However, Uniregistry still doesn't offer Afternic Fast Transfers but will implement in near future which will boost in sales for those domain owners having their domains at Uniregistry and opt-in for Fast Transfers.

Hope that clarifies @namemarket :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back