IT.COM

advice Afternic & DAN - do you need to list on both

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TheFreedomChaser

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,
Sorry if this is a newb question, but I am having a few issues with my domain listings and looking to streamline my efforts moving forward. Right now, I have most of my .com domains listed on Afternic, Sedo and Dan. Many of them are registered with GoDaddy. The problem I have found while running a routine check of typing the domain straight into my browser to view the landing page, is that several of the domains display a blank page (no form, no ads, nothing). Seems like a Nameserver issue, but even changing from Dan to GoDaddy default doesn't seem to fix it.

Anyway, I am thinking my listing strategy is too complicated, so was thinking of sticking to Afternic listings and deleting everything else to keep it simple. Does Afternic automatically feed into DAN these days?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Remove all the listings on DAN
Set nameservers of your domains to ns1.afternic.com and ns2.afternic.com
list your names on Afternic only
Set landers to DAN Landers inside Afternic and it will list all your domains on DAN as well

This is going to be simple solution for you.

•••
Thanks - any reason why to choose Afternic over DAN? I mean, could I choose DAN over Afternic with the same effect?

•••
I like it that way. No specific reason. It's more simple and better because DAN is going to be ended anyway soon and will be redirected to Afternic like UniReg, so not taking DAN serious anymore as it's all going to Afternic. :) Some might not agree, so you do what you like.

•••
Ok thanks, that’s a very good point. Only thing I noticed about DAN is the ability to easily see the number of views on a listing each month…I couldn’t seem to find that easily on Afternic…?
Also I am yet to make a sale so am unsure if they both offer immediate payment when a domain sells?

•••
I think so many questions before having a first sale will only confuse you. You can't learn to swim by reading the swimming guide. Just jump in the pool. You will need to take action. List on both if you like or list on the way i have told you. Make sure the nameservers are right for Afternic. Learn to focus on purchasing the domaining. Selling is not going to be hard if domain is good.

•••
Your concerns are common among domainers. Afternic and DAN operate separately, so listings don't automatically feed between them. If you're leaning towards simplifying, focusing on Afternic, especially with your domains registered with GoDaddy (Afternic's owner), might be beneficial. The blank page issue sounds like a Nameserver or DNS problem. I'd recommend reaching out to GoDaddy's support for assistance. Streamlining can make management easier and ensure potential buyers see the correct landing pages.

Best of luck!

•••
Dan pays faster
Dan has google analytics
Dan wont be closing anytime soon
Dan ns always work. Have you not read issues people are having with afternic nameservers not showing proper lander and price
Reach out to support lol.
I have the same price on dan and afternic
But use neither. However bin buttons for both are on my landers
Afternic sucks, dan is slowly going down drain but cream of the crop for in house landers

•••
Your concerns are common among domainers. Afternic and DAN operate separately, so listings don't automatically feed between them. If you're leaning towards simplifying, focusing on Afternic, especially with your domains registered with GoDaddy (Afternic's owner), might be beneficial. The blank page issue sounds like a Nameserver or DNS problem. I'd recommend reaching out to GoDaddy's support for assistance. Streamlining can make management easier and ensure potential buyers see the correct landing pages.

Best of luck!
If you list on Afternic and then select DAN Landers, then the domains will be listed on DAN if you haven't already listed there.

•••
As much as I'd like to say you should probably set Afternic up now as Dan will eventually disappear I'd probably use Dan until they pull the plug as Afternic screws everything up. Efty, Sedo, Dan etc... I list all my domains and everything just works like it should. Afternic I've already seen peoples Dan landers through it with no domain text at the top just a blank blue box which is on par for Afternic literally the worst company in my decades of selling as far as anything technical goes which is shocking considering they have GoDaddy funds now. Page malfunctions, SSL malfunctions, www malfunctions, zero excuse for a site this old to be the worst at integrating anything technical. Should have just redirected Afternic to Dan as trying to pull the pieces they want from it to Afternic requires technical skills, cross your fingers and hope for the best as usual and maybe in a few years they'll get it all ironed out.

Last edited:
•••
I think so many questions before having a first sale will only confuse you. You can't learn to swim by reading the swimming guide. Just jump in the pool. You will need to take action. List on both if you like or list on the way i have told you. Make sure the nameservers are right for Afternic. Learn to focus on purchasing the domaining. Selling is not going to be hard if domain is good.
I'm already in the pool, I think I just need some guidance on which direction to swim :xf.laugh:

•••
Dan pays faster
Dan has google analytics
Dan wont be closing anytime soon
Dan ns always work. Have you not read issues people are having with afternic nameservers not showing proper lander and price
Reach out to support lol.
I have the same price on dan and afternic
But use neither. However bin buttons for both are on my landers
Afternic sucks, dan is slowly going down drain but cream of the crop for in house landers
Thanks for the guidance, it's much appreciated. What do you use for your landers if you don't mind me asking? Do you host your own custom templates?

•••
Your concerns are common among domainers. Afternic and DAN operate separately, so listings don't automatically feed between them.
I thought they did? On Afternic it appears you can select DAN landers. And on DAN, there's a button that says 'Afternic Distribution Network' which I'm assuming links back to Afternic/Godaddy...?

•••
I use domain.io
Its the cats meow once you groom it.
An example belonging to Aaron is
php.io
Best $10 a month I spend and I am tight especially when paying in usd

Last edited:
•••
•••

Shortly Dan are automatically going to display across the Afternic network all domains you list with Dan, whether you want them to or not. Until now that has been an opt-in, and did not offer Fast Transfer enabling via the Dan.com interface.

Until now domains listed in an Afternic account were visible at Godaddy and Afternic, but to get them visible across the full partner network, you had to have Fast Transfer enabled on domains, which presents risks and challenges.

So will @DAN.COM soon show all Dan.com listed domains across the FULL Afternic network, or just some of it? If they show across the full network, then there is no reason to have an Afternic account - Afternic is a bugfest with patchy support.

But conceivably selling via Afternic will avoid VAT, unlike Dan.com, a new topic that needs checking if anyone has time.

Last edited:
•••
Dont want to complicate things but what about listing on Sedo as well? Is it possible to list on both since sedo requests that you use their name servers which would then impact Afternic/Dan.

•••
Shortly Dan are automatically going to display across the Afternic network all domains you list with Dan, whether you want them to or not. Until now that has been an opt-in, and did not offer Fast Transfer enabling via the Dan.com interface.

Until now domains listed in an Afternic account were visible at Godaddy and Afternic, but to get them visible across the full partner network, you had to have Fast Transfer enabled on domains, which presents risks and challenges.

So will @DAN.COM soon show all Dan.com listed domains across the FULL Afternic network, or just some of it? If they show across the full network, then there is no reason to have an Afternic account - Afternic is a bugfest with patchy support.

But conceivably selling via Afternic will avoid VAT, unlike Dan.com, a new topic that needs checking if anyone has time.

So they are doing this now. I have some names listed on Dan that say "Already listed on Afternic" (by me). And others that say "Active Listing" (which I didn't post on Afternic directly). Is there any benefit to posting directly on Afternic (rather than letting Dan do it for me)?

I tested 2 names - and both showed up as Premium for sale names on GoDaddy when I typed them in.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back