NameSilo

Afternic changing domain to in review after leaving GD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Restricted (Market)
Impact
So I transfered out a domain I had at GD (only because I bought it on their auction site) to Epik only to have Afternic within about an hour of the transfer completing email me to say the domain was removed from my Afternic account. I log in and find it "in review" presumably as a way to discourage leaving GD. Very problematic as I have more GD domains I plan to transfer out as they become eligible. What do I have to do unlist prior to transfer than relist again after transfer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well privacy is not on and I'm not in the EU so it is all there for public consumption (in my case). The new registrar has to have WHOIS info even if they only publish it as "Redacted". As I pointed out AN does use whois on other occasions. They are inconsistent with how they handle things. Being unduly critical for anyone leaving GD meanwhile domains that change registrars outside of GD aren't affected...coincidence? I think not....

I have never heard of a registrar who doesn't update WHOIS info on receiving a domain transfer, even if they publicly redact it, pretty sure that's part of their obligations to maintain their accreditation.

There are numerous reasons to change registrars that don't involve any actual change in ownership. And my point stands if they actually want to know they can attempt to verofy by WHOIS which in this case would confirm no ownership change. That's like assuming your neighbor is moving away because they are running from the police. Are they, maybe? But probably not. And if they "really" believe it changed ownership how come I can just delete it and re add it to get it out of review? Simple, because they don't actually think that, they are just "punishing" the user for leaving their registrar...anti competitive...sorry if I'm not willing to accept that kind of action by GD/AN. But I expect more from a company I do business with.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back