Dynadot

marketplace Afternic BIN Lander Bug

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
To those who are using Godaddy/Afternic NS5/NS6 BIN Landers:

Be advised, the "Buy Now" buttons are not working on the landers.

So far, the only domains not affected are those that are opted-in to the Fast Transfer network.

For everything else, you may want to consider the NS3/NS4 landers or an alternative for the time being until they get the issue resolved.

I suspect this has been an unknown issue for quite awhile and as I'm sure you can imagine, there are a lot of domains affected by this issue.

I discovered the issue at the end of June while testing the BIN landers and knew something was terribly wrong when I was directed to an empty cart after ticking the buy now button. (I reported it immediately. Unfortunately, it didn't actually get seen or heard until a follow-up this week.)

Needless to say, they are now aware of the issue and working "feverishly" on it.

In the event this takes them longer than expected as I suspect it will, I thought it best that everyone using the NS5/NS6 BIN landers be made aware of the issue.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe it is resolved. The team was working on it before it was posted here. I believe all in there were two separate issues that were resolved in the past week. So you may have been seeing one or the other or both. Both issues should be resolved now. One was fixed last week and one was fixed today. One of the issues was sporadic so it didn't impact everyone which in part explains why some people saw it and some did not. The other impated a subset of domains which also explains why some people saw an error and some did not, it depended on which domains you looked up.
As you can imagine any revenue impacting issues get worked on right away and they are monitored. We take any error seriously and we do not want anything to impact customer sales. We knew about the two errors and were working on them last week before anyone on here reported them. Please let me know if you continue to see any errors.

Thanks, Joe. You are awesome, as always.

Do you know when https issue will be resolved? At the time when http is pretty much considered "illegal" and Google would penalize websites for it, Godaddy refuses to resolve https.

The issue has been reported years ago and not resolved yet. It results in tens of thousands of lost sales for me (as all referral traffic is lost from backlinks) and millions for GD/Afternic.

Attachments

• gd-bug-unvr.png
    gd-bug-unvr.png
    116 KB · Views: 79
•••
Anyone has same problem with .BIZ ? Looks like the problem still persists with all my .biz domains. Domains are Fast Transfer enabled at SAV. Please check this one: metacar.biz
@Joe Styler
yep the problem still occusr on .biz and .info domains, just checked :(

•••
•••
It is not a problem of something breaking for .biz they have never been supported for BIN with the lander. I spoke with the team and they may allow them in the future.

•••
Same on info and xyz. They were never enabled to work.

•••
It is not a problem of something breaking for .biz they have never been supported for BIN with the lander. I spoke with the team and they may allow them in the future.
With all respect Joe, but when there's a Buy Now button on a NS5/NS6 lander for an XYZ domain, it is not supposed to do this after clicking (just tested again, after your message). The bug is still present. Please fix. Have a nice day.

1657666412356.png

Last edited:
•••
With all respect Joe, but when there's a Buy Now button on a NS5/NS6 lander for an XYZ domain, it is not supposed to do this after clicking (just tested again, after your message). The bug is still present. Please fix. Have a nice day.

Show attachment 219467

I guess not work for any extension
including .US
Screenshot_20220713-023730.png

•••
but when there's a Buy Now button on a NS5/NS6 lander for an XYZ domain, it is not supposed to do this after clicking (just tested again, after your message)
There seems something more than TLD. I have checked a number of .xyz and .cc that I have pointed to Afternic 5/6 and they now work correctly with respect to both prior problems (they did not work earlier). I never had a ton of names using Afternic 5/6 so only have a couple of dozen of names to test personally.

Is it possibly either fix propagation issue or possibly browser related (I am using a Mac with Chrome) or something else. One needs a fix that works with all browsers, of course, but wonder if that is why things seem fixed for some and not for others.

Those who are still experiencing problems I hope are reporting those to Afternic service so they will know it is a problem and have some specific examples to help point way to what the issue is.

Bob

•••
Same on info and xyz. They were never enabled to work.
I can't speak for the .info extension, but I did use a number of .xyz domains as testers throughout this and they're working just fine now. BIN buttons...checkout page...etc. I didn't go any further than that, because I didn't want to drop 10-20K on a couple of tests.

For a brief second I thought it might a top tier issue with @FutureSensors, but if that were the case, there would never be a BIN button. Therefore, a submission error would never occur, so I'll reach out privately to see if I can duplicate on my end. (Providing at least one domain is shared with me of course.)

I've checked numerous other base tier .xyz domains pointing to the BIN landers and everything appears to be working just fine, so it's clear they were enabled at some point.

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler

I think I've found it. I'm a GoDaddy customer, and I'm always logged in, in a separate tab of my browser.

When logged in, the error appears on Afternic BIN landers.

When I log out from GoDaddy, and do the same, I am redirected to the GoDaddy cart - no problem then.

Hope you are able to solve this.

•••
So they are supported by Afternic Fast transfer but not supported for BIN on Afternic 5/6 only or all networks? Please enlighten.

biz.png

Last edited:
•••
I decided to move all my .biz to Dan landing page for now.

•••
Tried 2 .com domains I own and it goes to empty cart or submission error.

•••
I don't know about anyone else, but for the past 24 hours I've been experiencing Afternic errors.

Attachments

• aft-error.PNG
    aft-error.PNG
    221.3 KB · Views: 72
  • aft-error2.PNG
    aft-error2.PNG
    145.9 KB · Views: 72
•••
I don't know about anyone else, but for the past 24 hours I've been experiencing Afternic errors.
Saw this error too, but only once today.

•••
•••
I'll let the Afternic team know to check out this thread. I got the info on .xyz from them. I have a meeting later today with the team in charge of these landers and I will bring it up.

The fact that you can sometimes see an extension working on a BIN lander and sometimes not is more complicated than I can quickly explain here. Officially we do not support those extensions. Just because it "works" doesn't mean it should or always will. The list of of TLDs that work with the BIN landers now are COM, CO, ORG, NET, CA, XXX. If it not one of these it may not work and you shouldnt be using the BIN landers for it.

Things will change in the future to allow more extensions but I don't have an exact date.

I'll try to keep this quick and high level. There are a lot of ways something can show up for sale on GD and be added to the cart. For domain landers this is also true. The landers use the GD cart to check out. The cart and the domain team have various orders of priority that impact things up and downstream.

So think of the main domain search for GoDaddy. You type in a domain to see if it's available. There are a lot of feeds and variables that go into what is shown as the result on the page. There may be hundreds of checks to various data sources, think registries to see if the domain is available or not. Among these streams there are calls to Afternic which is an aggregator of domain listings and feeds it to various places. The listing may be coming from AN directly or it may be being fed to, as one example, Godaddy auctions as a consumer of the AN feed. The auctions and AN and other feeds act differently and have different rules for the cart and how they get there. This all takes place in a split second and you see results when you type in the name you want to find. But these various behind the scenes checks have different priorities and this is true on the BIN lander and it impacts results.

So this is one of many examples but let's say today the auctions feed is in priority and tomorrow the AN feed is or another feed, the results up and downstream are impacted. And there can be split tests or different results based on markets ad infinitum. So you may see something different work in America, and not work in America, (based on testing) and a completely different thing in Canada on the same day at the same time.

The bottom line is there is always a lot of change and things are much more complex behind the scenes than most people realize. There is a lot of scientific data analysis all designed to help sell more domains which includes premium domain and BIN lander domains. This is not like you running a small business and your site shows one thing all the time no matter who sees it, or maybe two if you are doing a split test.

So when you say this works for me or it used to, or it doesnt here or there... I am going to tell you what we support. If something else works, great but it might not work later today or next week, or it may not be showing for half the World right now. I hope that helps.

ADDED Edit: believe it or not this is the quick high level version. I am not going to go into more detail than this :)

Last edited:
•••
I'll let the Afternic team know to check out this thread. I got the info on .xyz from them. I have a meeting later today with the team in charge of these landers and I will bring it up.

The fact that you can sometimes see an extension working on a BIN lander and sometimes not is more complicated than I can quickly explain here. Officially we do not support those extensions. Just because it "works" doesn't mean it should or always will. The list of of TLDs that work with the BIN landers now are COM, CO, ORG, NET, CA, XXX. If it not one of these it may not work and you shouldnt be using the BIN landers for it.

Things will change in the future to allow more extensions but I don't have an exact date.

I'll try to keep this quick and high level. There are a lot of ways something can show up for sale on GD and be added to the cart. For domain landers this is also true. The landers use the GD cart to check out. The cart and the domain team have various orders of priority that impact things up and downstream.

So think of the main domain search for GoDaddy. You type in a domain to see if it's available. There are a lot of feeds and variables that go into what is shown as the result on the page. There may be hundreds of checks to various data sources, think registries to see if the domain is available or not. Among these streams there are calls to Afternic which is an aggregator of domain listings and feeds it to various places. The listing may be coming from AN directly or it may be being fed to, as one example, Godaddy auctions as a consumer of the AN feed. The auctions and AN and other feeds act differently and have different rules for the cart and how they get there. This all takes place in a split second and you see results when you type in the name you want to find. But these various behind the scenes checks have different priorities and this is true on the BIN lander and it impacts results.

So this is one of many examples but let's say today the auctions feed is in priority and tomorrow the AN feed is or another feed, the results up and downstream are impacted. And there can be split tests or different results based on markets ad infinitum. So you may see something different work in America, and not work in America, (based on testing) and a completely different thing in Canada on the same day at the same time.

The bottom line is there is always a lot of change and things are much more complex behind the scenes than most people realize. There is a lot of scientific data analysis all designed to help sell more domains which includes premium domain and BIN lander domains. This is not like you running a small business and your site shows one thing all the time no matter who sees it, or maybe two if you are doing a split test.

So when you say this works for me or it used to, or it doesnt here or there... I am going to tell you what we support. If something else works, great but it might not work later today or next week, or it may not be showing for half the World right now. I hope that helps.

ADDED Edit: believe it or not this is the quick high level version. I am not going to go into more detail than this :)
Thanks for the detailed explanation of what goes on behind the scenes, Joe. It does confuse me a bit. Would you advise us not to report again when an NS5/NS6 BIN button for .com gives such an error? It's not only about errors with new gTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
For .com is should work no matter what. If there is an issue you should definitely reach out to service @ afternic .com as I am not always on Namepros they will be quicker.

•••
The list of of TLDs that work with the BIN landers now are COM, CO, ORG, NET, CA, XXX.

XXX is definitely a great decision!

Keep up the good work.

•••
Apparently their entire system has a case of the Mondays, because as of right now, you can't add anything to the cart...new reg domains, dropping domains, expiry auction domains or even Fast Transfer active domains.

•••
I am getting the same error on .com domain.

•••
I moved all stuff to Dan/GD Europe.

•••
Yeah, they're having a major issue with their cart right now.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back