IT.COM

question After .com which one you prefer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ricardo M

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy a bitcoin/crypto name which seems promising. Although the .net, .info and .org are available the .com is gone. What would you advise as following other if you had to pick one extension. I might buy them all 3 to secure the name but i was wondering which i should take at least. I consider .net .org and then .info.

Thanks in advance and happy domaining!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Depends on the KW and usage. For some I would prefer .org next, others maybe another extension.
But overall .com is king.

•••
•••
I have never liked .net , Although i caught and sold iLesbian.net for x,xxx some years ago. I am not digging the Gtlds at all, I did a little .us investing back in the day, It got hot, then fell apart, I dabbled in 3L .in for a brief period. The same with .co 3L.co , For the last three years it has been nothing but .com and .org for me, I don't see that changing either.

•••
•••
•••
For me the answer depends on the type of website of the potential purchaser (and all these assume the .com is gone as indicated at start of this thread).

If it was for a site not tied to specific sales, but rather for information, etc. I would prefer .org (if it was an organization in some sense), .net, .info, .site and .space. If truly informative/commentary, I might look at .review which can be registered for 10 years really cheaply right now at Namecheap.

If it was mainly based in one country, I would for sure use that cc if available.

If it was to be used more directly for sales, would prefer .net, then maybe a cc like .io, then possibly consider .site, .biz. If it wanted to emphasize a worldwide venture, I might consider .world or .gdn.

Of course many other possibilities exist, including .xyz and .top among the more popular.

Thanks for question

Bob

•••
after .com , i always prefer any domain which makes sense, while combining with extension. Like .io for tech , .org for charity or poll..... .co only because it resembles with com and corporation.

.biz and .info seems junk

ccTld's only if your taarget customer is only from a particular country.

ngTld only if name makes sense e.g : social.network

•••
Last edited:
•••
Bitcoin is a very forward thinking thing and .net is a very old school extension. They don't match up so that throws .net out the window. .IO is a good fit for bitcoin but to forward thinking for end users. .Info is junk and I wouldn't use it for anything. Seems like .Co is a good balance between all of them if you can't have the .com

I agree with everything you said expect the part about .co

Stay away from it. Looks like a .com typo and will be forgotten eventually IMHO

•••
I agree with everything you said expect the part about .co

Stay away from it. Looks like a .com typo and will be forgotten eventually IMHO
That's the only thing I don't like about .co. Every time I see a .co name on a van I always wonder if the M fell off. :)

•••
Ricardo - I agree with your choices. Com is still king by all accounts and .net and .org are still the most popular GTLDs (though .info has made some great strides in popularity over recent years).

If I had the choice and couldn't get the .com or an acceptably similar .com name, I'd probably go with the .net, though the .org could be worthy to have as well, depending upon the actual name you are considering.

Good luck and much success in accomplishing your goals.

•••
I don`t agree with you guys. I think it is .com and .io

Reference:
  • coinmarketcap.com / coinbase.com / bitcoin.com
  • cex.io
  • blockchain.info - interesting :xf.smile:
Both .org and .io from what I've noticed are similarly popular after and sometimes even before .com!

•••
It's .org for crypto!

.org is a popular choice with crypto companies

I don`t agree with you guys. I think it is .com and .io

Cross-sharing my reply to a similar question, as it may be of relevance/value to this thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-power-of-io-in-cryptonames.1036932/#post-6317939

I used some CoinDesk data to look at 160 ICOs from 2014 until present day.
The dataset has 160 companies that cumulatively account for around $1.7bn raised.
(I tried to clean the data for duplicate ICO names, where the company had multiple funding rounds)

There are 28 different extensions represented in the list. The top 4 are:

TLD, CountUnique
COM, 55
IO, 34
ORG, 18
NET, 8

If we use these ICOs are a proxy for the crypto market overall, it does look like .IO are quite popular.
Take this with a pinch of salt, as crypto-dedicated content sites (news, blogs, forums etc) may have an entirely different composition of extensions.

The list of ICO titles/names is also incredibly diverse - and there isn't a consistent naming pattern. But no prizes for guessing some of the common words found: coin, project, network, chain, block, cash, etc.

Finally, I also began to look for patterns to correlate funding size to extension but I don't feel like there's any particular pattern of significance. The surprise for me was the use of .network as the fifth most popular extension. With 8 ICOs spanning $209m of funding, .network was the fourth highest funded TLD.

Bar chart below and link to data source here

rErbzur.png

Last edited:
•••
Both .org and .io from what I've noticed are similarly popular after and sometimes even before .com!

I am trading crypto currencies for a while and never used a .org website.

There are couple of platforms I follow and .org is not one of them.

I would appreciate if you share some that you know so I go check them out.

Thanks

•••
•••
Seems like .Co is a good balance between all of them if you can't have the .com
I agree with everything you said expect the part about .co. Stay away from it. Looks like a .com typo and will be forgotten eventually IMHO
That's the only thing I don't like about .co. Every time I see a .co name on a van I always wonder if the M fell off. :)

lol .. don't dismiss .co too quickly .. the reason I buy some is because I've specifically seen them out in the world .. on TV commercials, billboards and other forms of advertising. Like every other TLD, it most definitely is a small fraction of .com .. but it is stronger than most gnTLD's.

Here's how I answer your generic question (not bitcoin specific):

.io = Tech (Industry facing B2B)
.net = Tech (Consumer facing)
.co = Good generic
.biz = Generic that isn't as bad a choice as people think
.org = Authority website (if you want too look like an official entity)
.info = Information/wiki website (if actual info is more important than brand).

ccTLD = Obviously if it's not international then the country code is a good option.

Obviously one important factor to consider as well is if there is an industry standard as mentioned above.
(@Nikul Sanghvi, @atinc, @Duncan Burgess)

As for your specific BTCBroker domain .. the best fit is .net .. although if the industry trend is .org or .io then go for that. That being said, .net is weak at the moment .. if your goal is to resell at retail then you could be sitting on it for a while. You might be able to quick flip at 2x-4x regfee to another domainer (BIG maybe). I'd personally only grab it if you were actually planning to develop out the site yourself.

Keep in mind I'm not into bitcoin and only have a couple crypto domains .. my post is based on general observations! ;)

•••
•••
cryptomoneyexchange.net is suitable for the Marketing I reckon

•••
•••
.net and .org of course.

I love .io too but it is very expensive.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
.com
.org

Nothing in the middle... .net sales seem to be dying... you can pick up one word premiums for relatively cheap now adays.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back