Domain Empire

question After .com which one you prefer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ricardo M

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy a bitcoin/crypto name which seems promising. Although the .net, .info and .org are available the .com is gone. What would you advise as following other if you had to pick one extension. I might buy them all 3 to secure the name but i was wondering which i should take at least. I consider .net .org and then .info.

Thanks in advance and happy domaining!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why you think so?
You don't need a broker for btc. . . and if you need a broker for some very weird reason, then you'd rather have coinbroker/s because a broker would be into different crypto rather than just specifically btc.

•••
Bitcoin is a very forward thinking thing and .net is a very old school extension. They don't match up so that throws .net out the window. .IO is a good fit for bitcoin but to forward thinking for end users. .Info is junk and I wouldn't use it for anything. Seems like .Co is a good balance between all of them if you can't have the .com

•••
•••
.org is a popular choice with crypto companies

•••
Before new TLDs existed I would occasionally sell a .Net for low $XXX as it was a recognized alternative for low-budget buyers (also up until 2012 exact match domains could rank well with minimum development). However, now that there are hundreds of alternatives competing against each other low-budget buyers have no need to pay a premium for an inferior domain. As well, Google's search algorithm no longer gives preference to EMDs so domains have diminished in value. As well, social media profiles have exploded as many end users are satisfied with Facebook, Twitter or Youtube as their internet presence. So money on low-quality .Nets is wasted sort of like blowtorching your wallet with a wad of bills inside.

Low-budget end users and developers will reg .Net, .CO, nTLD and all kinds of alternative extensions to find an available domain without having to pay for an aftermarket domain. While the industry likes to promote big-dollar sales off reg fee domains, most reg fee domains just burn a hole in domainers pockets. I believe this week Whizbangsblog did an analysis showing that industry turnover is probably well under 1% - meaning that as a whole domainers are losing their @#$%^!

•••
I agree with everything you said expect the part about .co

Stay away from it. Looks like a .com typo and will be forgotten eventually IMHO
That's the only thing I don't like about .co. Every time I see a .co name on a van I always wonder if the M fell off. :)

•••
Ricardo - I agree with your choices. Com is still king by all accounts and .net and .org are still the most popular GTLDs (though .info has made some great strides in popularity over recent years).

If I had the choice and couldn't get the .com or an acceptably similar .com name, I'd probably go with the .net, though the .org could be worthy to have as well, depending upon the actual name you are considering.

Good luck and much success in accomplishing your goals.

•••
•••
•••
I get what you are saying here although i think for the hype rookies who don't know where to buy bitcoins they might search for a broker as in stockbrokers. The risk was so minimum for me to buy them that i aquired them. Let's see what happens.

Thanks!
but you're not selling the domains to bitcoin buyers. You're trying to sell them to end users who make websites, and they would know better. And they're not even .COM lol. So your only chance is if the .com sells to some agency that wants to be Bitcoin Brokers. And then you'll have to wait until their site gets huge enough that they'd want to own the .NET and .ORG too.

It's just that these factors make the chances of a sale so low that you'd have to wait for longer than 2-3 years.

Or, you know, I guess someone might buy btcbroker.com this Fall then develop it by this Spring, and then you can pitch them your names. Could happen too. . .

•••
I'm never keen on extensions after .com but for a handreg it's worth a try. Who knows what happens. Domaining is taking risks and we all know that. So why not taking this one for regfees. My other sales cover this investment so it won't hurt.

•••
•••
I think, in many instances, the strength of either .net or .org is related to the domain itself, and what the average individual would EXPECT the TLD to be.

•••
I have never liked .net , Although i caught and sold iLesbian.net for x,xxx some years ago. I am not digging the Gtlds at all, I did a little .us investing back in the day, It got hot, then fell apart, I dabbled in 3L .in for a brief period. The same with .co 3L.co , For the last three years it has been nothing but .com and .org for me, I don't see that changing either.

•••
Bitcoin is a very forward thinking thing and .net is a very old school extension. They don't match up so that throws .net out the window. .IO is a good fit for bitcoin but to forward thinking for end users. .Info is junk and I wouldn't use it for anything. Seems like .Co is a good balance between all of them if you can't have the .com

I agree with everything you said expect the part about .co

Stay away from it. Looks like a .com typo and will be forgotten eventually IMHO

•••
•••
Seems like .Co is a good balance between all of them if you can't have the .com
I agree with everything you said expect the part about .co. Stay away from it. Looks like a .com typo and will be forgotten eventually IMHO
That's the only thing I don't like about .co. Every time I see a .co name on a van I always wonder if the M fell off. :)

lol .. don't dismiss .co too quickly .. the reason I buy some is because I've specifically seen them out in the world .. on TV commercials, billboards and other forms of advertising. Like every other TLD, it most definitely is a small fraction of .com .. but it is stronger than most gnTLD's.

Here's how I answer your generic question (not bitcoin specific):

.io = Tech (Industry facing B2B)
.net = Tech (Consumer facing)
.co = Good generic
.biz = Generic that isn't as bad a choice as people think
.org = Authority website (if you want too look like an official entity)
.info = Information/wiki website (if actual info is more important than brand).

ccTLD = Obviously if it's not international then the country code is a good option.

Obviously one important factor to consider as well is if there is an industry standard as mentioned above.
(@Nikul Sanghvi, @atinc, @Duncan Burgess)

As for your specific BTCBroker domain .. the best fit is .net .. although if the industry trend is .org or .io then go for that. That being said, .net is weak at the moment .. if your goal is to resell at retail then you could be sitting on it for a while. You might be able to quick flip at 2x-4x regfee to another domainer (BIG maybe). I'd personally only grab it if you were actually planning to develop out the site yourself.

Keep in mind I'm not into bitcoin and only have a couple crypto domains .. my post is based on general observations! ;)

•••
•••
•••
except .com , for me, domain has to make sense, I don't buy domains because of the extensions, i usually buy domains when keyword and extension make sense together
example

Tax.Help
gay.club
....etc

so if .com is taken I lean more towards new gtld domains

•••
•••
stick with .com
I do but in this case i couldn't resist. Domaining is always a gamble but i think the 2 names below are worth the risk

Btcbroker.net
Btcbroker.org

•••
•••
I do but in this case i couldn't resist. Domaining is always a gamble but i think the 2 names below are worth the risk

Btcbroker.net
Btcbroker.org

worth nothing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back