Dynadot

Advice to newbies: stöp régisterìng µs€less IDNs !

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kate

Domainosaurus RexTop Member
Impact
OK I see so many fake IDNs being registered than I feel compelled to write this.
I will post this only once.

Names like pízza drînk cařs ßanana etc are worth zero, period :!:

Example: just because televisîon yields about 335,000,000 results in google does not mean you should register it.
Please understand that search engines return data based on a case-insensitive search, so take the habit to use the + operator to perform a strict search, like this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=fhz&q=+televisîon&btnG=Search
Result:
Results 1 - 6 of 6 for +televisîon

Bottom line: these are not real words, they mean nothing to an end user, they likely won't get any traffic and are unfit for development. Last but not least they have no particular SEO benefits :kickass:

Do not waste your money, register real IDN words instead ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Timewarp said:
Its fine to have an opinion on good and bad investments or TM infringement but the rules here should be the same as the rest of the forum where people are free to buy and sell what they choose.
Indeed .. but when an unscrupulous seller tries to pass off something that only 'looks' like sex.com (ѕех.com anyone?) but in fact is a meaningless made up 'word' then the usual 'rules' don't apply .. do they?
Even when some of these sellers are asked 'what language is it' / 'what does it mean in English' they don't know .. If the seller doesn't know then where does that leave all the clueless amongst you?

Buy what you like but with IDNs be aware of what you actually are using Daddy's credit card / your paper round cash for.

Try a google search for:
sex
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sex&btnG=Search&meta=

And then for:
ѕех
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ѕех&btnG=Search

Last edited:
•••
I would like to add my two cents.

I come from a country where there is reasonably tight censorship and while I accept the need for it, I do question its application at times. Thus I am wary of people coming forth and telling us that these people are crooks and those are the goods. And it is for your good that they are destroyed.

A distinction needs to be made here:

(1) Sellers trying to pass off something invaluable as valuable.

By all means expose them. Or institute a process to expose such stuff. So that the buyer will know what he/she is getting into.​

(2) But there is no need to 'destroy' them.

In short, if pizza.com is different from pizza.com, and someone tries to tell us that it is, then expose the lie. But let the potential buyers decide for themselves.

Last edited:
•••
NOpoint in using those IDNs, They are just wasting their money.

•••
commsskills said:
(2) But there is no need to 'destroy' them.

No, but people come here and try to sell, for example, ѕех.com, which is not a word in any language, and when asked they agree that they don't know what 'language' it is they need to be exposed for what they are.
These people who have no idea of what IDN even means jump in and register useless domains and then try to sell them to equally clueless domainers .. well that's tantamount to fraud, intentional or not.

And BTW .. it has nothing to do with censorship. If I see someone bidding on a useless domain I will inform them in the thread that the domain is useless and if they are still stupid enough (And yes, there are those who ignore the warning) to go ahead then they deserve everything they get.

It's not a matter of calling anyone a crook, more a case of pointing out the facts to those who let greed and $$$ signs blind them and think they can buy ѕех.com for $15

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back