Unstoppable Domains .crypto

Advice regarding selling an almost expired domain name

Labeled as advice in Domain Buying and Selling Discussion started by Bob Hawkes, Nov 24, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

I hope some of you, particularly those who have sold on Sedo, who have been in this situation can help me.

I've actually never had a name sell on Sedo but yesterday accepted an offer and it is at first stage while Sedo wait for the person to pay. The issue is that the domain name (at Namecheap) expires tomorrow. I really would prefer not to have to renew it (it is a .me so about $21 at Namecheap that are not the most competitive in that TLD for renewals). I unlocked the domain name and got the Auth Code mailed to me. So after I get to the stage of transfer details at Sedo will I still be good with that information, or will I have to renew it at NameCheap first? If I have to pay the $21 I will but I think if the person moves it they would not get the extra time because it was a renewal in last 60 days, so it seems a waste.

Thanks for any help. It expires in about 16 hr, so ideally answers before then if there is something other than unlocking and auth code I need to do before then.

Thank you!

Bob

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Sutruk

Sutruk Established Member

Hi Bob. Once I bought a domain at Sedo, it was also near to expire, and Sedo asked the seller to renew it, in order to continue with the sale.
    I think they ask to renew it in order to not have any issue in the transfer process.
    But if Sedo ask you to renew it, it will be presumably once the buyer has already paid.
    You just can wait to see what Sedo says, or just renew it to avoid problems.
    By the way, if you renew your domain in the last 60 days before it expires, the buyer will get the extra time. I don't see why not.
    Hope this helps!

3. NYJimbo

NYJimbo Domain Re-Animator VIP

I posted about this before as it happened to me. Once the payment was received by sedo from the buyer, I got this:

Please extend domain registration
    Please renew this domain first, as the registration is about to expire or has already expired.
    The transfer to another registrar can only proceed once the domain has been renewed.

Please note that we cannot take over domains via push/pull at the current registrar if their expiration date is within the following 60 days. According to our Terms of Use sellers are obliged to renew such domains prior to the transfer at their own expense.​

4. Bob Hawkes

Thanks for the answers - much appreciated!
    I will wait to see if payment really happens as nothing new now in almost two days.
    Thanks,
    Bob

5. Bob Hawkes

This is what for example Name say and I think most other have similar so if I renew and they take it at new registrar we both would pay but only one year registration added.
    In most cases, when you transfer a domain name to Name.com it adds one year to the expiration date of the domain name. However, if you renewed the domain name within 45 days of the transfer, then an additional year will not be added

6. Sutruk

Yes I see that article at Name.com. However, in my case, the domain in question was added one year in the previous registrar, and one year in my new registrar. At least I don't remember to have renewed it one more year since then.
    Anyway, just wait till your buyer makes the payment, and then Sedo will tell you what to do :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  7. Bob Hawkes

Just to let people know, everything is finished now.

I never specifically was asked to renew it by Sedo, but they did require a push at Namecheap to the Sedo Escrow account, and since you can't do a push at Namecheap after it is expired, I did have to renew it. Anyway did that, pushed it, and all is now done, just got paid.

I was impressed with the speed at Sedo, and their transfer assistant does not seem that different from what DAN use.

Thanks for those who offered advice.

Bob

8. lock

lock PremiumNameDomain.com VIP

Up to last week I was offered a domain from broker that that I never responded to. The name had expired and I waited out the redemption period now I own it.

9. Sutruk

Congratulations for the sale Bob!
    And yes, the transactions I have done through Sedo have been also very smooth and fast.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice