NameSilo

Accurate appraisals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Badger

Ravaged By AgeVIP Member
Impact
looking through the appraisal section it always makes my laugh when someone says they have xxxxx.com, 50 uniques a day, value? and everyone appraises it at $$ or reg fee..

How can this be so??

do these people appraising know anything about commerce??

The very least a domain is worth is its intrinsic value i.e. in through using the formula:

annual parked income - (minus) reg fee X 7......

So for a domain receiving 50 uniques a day. This in itself must be worth, what? $2k??

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thatz good.,
so my domain unitedmailsystems.com which gets 200 uniques per day is worth more than 2000$.??

Last 4 days stats in sedo:
unitedmailsystems.com Free email 1.020 200 19.61% €0.05 €10.17

•••
no question.... (subject to any TM viol)

Why do you have it parked there??

Last edited:
•••
I parked it at domainhop first. But there is no custom keyword optimization like it is in sedo. So parked it in sedo.

•••
collieri said:
So for a domain receiving 50 uniques a day. This in itself must be worth, what? $2k??

How do you arrive at $2k, Ian?

•••
Sorry, wasnt talking literally regarding the $2k . Because I had no starting point from which to work.

But I would say 50 uniques a day should earn a minimum (and I mean an absolute minimum) of what?? 50c a day X 365 (days) = $183 - $7 (reg fee) = $176 X 7 = $1232

Hows that?

•••
From discussions about PPC payouts (google, fabulous, sedo, afternic, and lately domainhop), it appears that $4 per thousand uniques is considered good. This translates to about 0.4 cents per unique, so at best 50 uniques per day could translate to:

50 uniques x 30 days x 7 months x 0.4 cents = 4,200 cents = $42

So from a PPC income point of view, mid $XX would be accurate for a 50 uniques per day type of name.

If you assume a high of 1 cent per unique, then you'll end up with a value of $105.

•••
Sorry, cant have explained myself well enough.. General business appraisal (im sure the world over) equates to 5 to 10 X (annual) earnings + goodwill. So using your formula. And 7X as a medium.

20c X 365 (-$7.95) X 7 = $455.35

•••
I see - good point.

Remember to differentiate between type-in keyword traffic and expired website traffic. The former (sex.com is an example) can be expected to have somewhat consistent year after year after year. The latter (say, a domain that used to have a free hosting website) will see its traffic decrease steadily over time.

•••
collieri said:
do these people appraising know anything about commerce??

Nope, but I usaually add IMO or I guess If I think my apprasial is far more or less than what would actually get paid for it, or if I'm just not too sure and am putting my guess in a certin area. Other then ones with IMO or I guess from me are decentally accurate. Not some expert apprasial but fine still.

•••
Nope, but I usaually add IMO or I guess If I think my apprasial is far more or less than what would actually get paid for it, or if I'm just not too sure and am putting my guess in a certin area. Other then ones with IMO or I guess from me are decentally accurate. Not some expert apprasial but fine still

Sorry, qwert, read your post 4 times and still cant get to grips with what your saying..

May be that ive tonsilitis at the mo :red:

•••
He's saying that he adds the word "imo," or "in my opinion" to his posts after he appraises them if he doesn't really know for sure very well what the value is. But, when he's pretty sure of a value, he leaves off that "imo" and leaves it at "$xx" or what have you.

•••
Oh i see.... So what your saying is - when he is giving his opinion about domain name valuations and he is not sure that his opinion is correct, he writes 'in my opinion' so as to clarify that hes not sure on the matter. Whereas, when he is sure his opinion is correct, instead of writing 'in my opinion', he writes 'what have you' or '$xx'.

I get ya....

Thanks for clearing that up jehnidiah...........

•••
It also depends on the "Keyword/Term" - You say 50 uniques = .50 Cents ??? - Not always the case. Depends on Popularity of the "Keyword/Term" to get some Clickthroughs and for those Keywords to Actually be bid on by Publishers .... As Armstrong pointed out - "Remember to differentiate between type-in keyword traffic and expired website traffic." - Folks expecting a certain site are generally going to stop visiting it if They are Forwarded to a Generic Parking Page with "For Sale" at the Top of the Page .... They were visiting for certain Information/Subjects before.

I know what you're getting at - But there is no Real "Set" Formulas to Appraise Domains - Although Having Real Stats on Traffic Does help people consider how much it is worth to them if they were interested in Buying or Selling it -

You also have to Realize that alot of these Folks are just trying to Build their Np$ and aren't taking it that serious :( (Sad But True) ~

And of Course these Appraisals are just opinions ~ :imho:

•••
P.S., the "H" stands for Humble

P.S.S., Josh and Mark, do you guys know each other? I'm originally from N.C. myself...

newbe

•••
With all due respect to the above calculations, A domain is worth reg fee once its registered... Then any appraisal that is offered on that domain is worthless... Just hear me out here

Domain- Virtual Property - Nothing Tangible -

Unless of course people type it into a browser and view its page.... This is measured by unique IP addresses from all over the world... Next is of course developing the domain into a content enriched website to attract visitors thus increasing its value but in the long run a domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So in all the appraisal threads you get such a chuckle out of maybe you should consider the fact that the responses are based on what that individual is willing to pay for that domain.

An appraisal on a tangible item such as a car is much different in many respects, MAKE/MODEL/YEAR/MILEAGE ect but again its value is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Hypothetical situation for you.

AOL.com drops and becomes available today, and you are lucky enough to get that domain. Whats it worth????

some may say millions others may say not much anymore for the simple fact that you would not be able to offer the same services as AOL does... Sure it may attract alot of attention in the short run... But they are no longer going to be spending millions advertising that domain....The type ins that you get will soon stop because the domain is not the CONTENT enriched site they are looking for.... all the backlinks will eventually be removed by webmasters that keep their own users interest at heart so they dont send them to dead links..... Eventually ( and it could be many years) the domain AOL could be worth just as much as xaz its just a domain name.... You have to get people to that domain before its worth anything.... all said and done its just a domain and its only worth what someone will pay for it.

•••
AdsenseGuy said:
With all due respect to the above calculations, A domain is worth reg fee once its registered... Then any appraisal that is offered on that domain is worthless... Just hear me out here

Domain- Virtual Property - Nothing Tangible -

Unless of course people type it into a browser and view its page.... This is measured by unique IP addresses from all over the world... Next is of course developing the domain into a content enriched website to attract visitors thus increasing its value but in the long run a domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So in all the appraisal threads you get such a chuckle out of maybe you should consider the fact that the responses are based on what that individual is willing to pay for that domain.

An appraisal on a tangible item such as a car is much different in many respects, MAKE/MODEL/YEAR/MILEAGE ect but again its value is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Hypothetical situation for you.

AOL.com drops and becomes available today, and you are lucky enough to get that domain. Whats it worth????

some may say millions others may say not much anymore for the simple fact that you would not be able to offer the same services as AOL does... Sure it may attract alot of attention in the short run... But they are no longer going to be spending millions advertising that domain....The type ins that you get will soon stop because the domain is not the CONTENT enriched site they are looking for.... all the backlinks will eventually be removed by webmasters that keep their own users interest at heart so they dont send them to dead links..... Eventually ( and it could be many years) the domain AOL could be worth just as much as xaz its just a domain name.... You have to get people to that domain before its worth anything.... all said and done its just a domain and its only worth what someone will pay for it.

You've gotten too much fresh air and started thinking too much again huh? So much that you forgot something.

A domain is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

And for not understanding my post here's sorta what I am saying, that my apprasials are usaually pretty close, and decent mostly with some other content other then "Low/Med XX" or whatever I appraise it at. But if I leave a comment on the name but I don't really know too much about its value, either because I have low or no interest or knoledge in the subject that the domain deals with, or because I am unsure what actually might get paid for it because I have TOO much knoledge or interest in the subject more then anyone else, or if I just don't really know. In those cases I add "I guess" or "IMO". I add "I guess" if I have no clue, I add "IMO" if I think what I evaluate it at is much higher or lower then what would actually get paid for it.

Last edited:
•••
Point of view from a complete n00b perspective:

When addressing the value of a DN that will (or is)park(ed) to earn money from the hits it generates, the examples above show some formulas that can be used a judge and are very helpful to those of us still learning the basic do's and dont's of this trade.

Adsenseguy's example of AOL gives a clear view of the "now and later" potential earnings from this name, and explains why.

His example of a tangible item, "car", there is a respected guide,the "Kelley Blue Book" that anyone can use to get an idea of value with condition(s) (Yr,Mi,upkeep,etc), factored in.
Google and Ovt are the KBB of domainers, however one must first know how to interpret the numbers to arrive at a approx value, and would at best be still a qualified "guesstimate".

In the case of "new" DN's, the wholesale appraisal of value, even from the most qualified is pure speculation by the individual appraiser, hence some pretty wide margins on certain names.
The DN reg'd to developed will be worth only what the site earns through the items or services sold or ad revenue, compared to the DN reg'd with a specific enduser or catagory in mind where it's all about what will AAA inc. pay for "whatever-item-or-service-AAAinc-offers.com", unless of course, "whatever-service-or-item-AAAinc-offers.com is still avail making the former just another =reg fee.

Is this correct or not?

So many unknowns from the start.

Peace, kp

•••
Quick question,

How can you get 200 uniques per day on SeDo?
I paid for promoting catchy adult name in the Featured Domains section
All I get is an average 1.84 daily views.

Thanks

•••
vac said:
Quick question,

How can you get 200 uniques per day on SeDo?
I paid for promoting catchy adult name in the Featured Domains section
All I get is an average 1.84 daily views.

He gets them from outside sedo.
PS: Don't pay a "featured" listing on sedo ist blown away money

•••
Well - I tell you all this - if Someone does Grab Aol.com on a Drop .... I'll buy it for Reg Fees ..... - lol

"A domain is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it." - This is all so Correct Q !!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back