"Account Auto-Closed"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domaniak

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
@Eric Lyon
Hopefully I'm not encroaching on some hush-hush security stuff here :xf.wink:

A question I meant to ask for a while: what's this "Account Auto-Closed" thing really about?

Most cases seem pretty obvious (bots). But there are quite a few I've noticed that are not. Take this example:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/sup.999541/

OP's obviously not a bot. Nice intro. Very active with hundreds of posts and likes. Like I said, not an isolated case, seen a few other such active accounts "Auto-Closed". This descriptor implies some kind of automated event. Or is it? What's going on?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a bit of a misnomer. It just has to do with how a user was banned. Newer policies favor a method of banning that results in that title, so you're likely to see it more. It might be a good idea for us to see if we can change it. I believe it can also indicate a closed or deleted account in some cases, but I haven't tested that. Eric will likely be able to provide a more accurate explanation.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Accounts that are labeled "Auto-Closed" were closed automatically by the system when their account reached the maximum negative warning points. Depending on the warnings (Seriousness) an account receives an account could auto-close with one or multiple warnings that total the maximum warning points.

It should also be noted that an auto-closed account can most times (Depending on the warnings) auto-reopen as soon as enough negative warning points expire.

Two additional reasons:
  • An account is under active investigation and issued an amount of points that auto-closed it for security reasons
  • A member requested that their account be closed until they decide to return at a later date
More information about banning members and the warning system can be found in the following thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-start-banning-members.988391/

I hope that helps.

•••
Will be curious if a balanced compromise can be found between transparency and privacy. Honestly, I would love it if there were a simple way to validate accounts at creation to reduce the workload of moderation.

It's more of a technical issue, actually. XenForo only stores whether or not an account is active; it doesn't really store the reason for a closed account alongside the account info. As Eric mentioned, accounts can accumulate warnings; these could be for a variety of different incidents, so there wouldn't be a simple answer as to why an account has been closed. Exceptions are when someone asks to close their account, for example, or when a single warning immediately closes the account--but the system isn't really designed to treat these situations differently.

There is a simple ban system that does store a single reason, but it has numerous caveats, so we typically avoid using it. In particular, it doesn't record as much information for other staff members who may need to reference the incident in the future.

•••
Accounts that are labeled "Auto-Closed" were closed automatically by the system when their account reached the maximum negative warning points. Depending on the warnings (Seriousness) an account receives an account could auto-close with one or multiple warnings that total the maximum warning points.

It should also be noted that an auto-closed account can most times (Depending on the warnings) auto-reopen as soon as enough negative warning points expire.

More information about banning members and the warning system can be found in the following thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-start-banning-members.988391/

I hope that helps.

Had a good chuckle at the thread you shared here :) The member who started that thread did so as an attempt to highlight the validity of Shane Bellone's thread complaining about how toxic members should be banned from NP... Ohh the IRONY of it all :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
Did OP decide to test the moderators' explanations by auto-closing his account?

•••
Did OP decide to test the moderators' explanations by auto-closing his account?
Nice find. At the start, for a moment I thought he was asking about his own status of account auto-closed. 😂😂

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back