IT.COM

question About selling a domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello NamePros,

I have a question for all of you. When trying to sell a domain what do you like to do to prepare that domain for sale? Currently I just park my domains at sedo and that's all. Should I buy trying to build back links or promoting them some way? I have very little coding skill so I usually only sell domains as is, with no website.

Just trying to understand what others do while trying to sell their names. Please post your ideas and thoughts below!

Thanks,
Bill

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like to park my domains on my own for sale page & list on Sedo, it also helps to prove to potential end-users that you own the domain, particularly if you contact them from an e-mail address associated with your portfolio, or from the domain itself if it's hosted. Backlinks to parked domains are generally frowned upon however.

Other people like to do mini sites to help generate traffic to the domain.

•••
Hello NamePros,

I have a question for all of you. When trying to sell a domain what do you like to do to prepare that domain for sale? Currently I just park my domains at sedo and that's all. Should I buy trying to build back links or promoting them some way? I have very little coding skill so I usually only sell domains as is, with no website.

Just trying to understand what others do while trying to sell their names. Please post your ideas and thoughts below!

Thanks,
Bill

it's not about trying to sell your domain, it's more about trying to get the price you want, when someone makes an offer. :)

but for majority of names, I do the same as what you do now.

acquire them, park them and wait for a potential to bite.

imo...

•••
Thanks guys for the responses. I seem to do the same as you guys while inquiring to sell my domains. Just wanted to see if there was anything I was missing!

•••
It doesn't seem like it! There's not much to it really!

•••
I am very new to domaining, its been only a month till i bought my first domain and now i have more then 400. But here are my listing strategies;

Linkedin
Sedo
Godaddyauctions
4.cn
Ofc namepros.com :)

But i am also thinking about having a website for my portfolio but i dont have the time to do it right now, i tried efty.com once to list my domains i like its websites they look nice but it is really hard to list all of your domains because their listing options not good, you have to enter a reg date, exp date and price one by one for every of your names there is no a bulk edit option...

•••
It's the same for most portfolio software/providers.

•••
I am very new to domaining, its been only a month till i bought my first domain and now i have more then 400. But here are my listing strategies;

Linkedin
Sedo
Godaddyauctions
4.cn
Ofc namepros.com :)

But i am also thinking about having a website for my portfolio but i dont have the time to do it right now, i tried efty.com once to list my domains i like its websites they look nice but it is really hard to list all of your domains because their listing options not good, you have to enter a reg date, exp date and price one by one for every of your names there is no a bulk edit option...

Just curious. How do you use linkedin for domaining? I don't have one currently, but never actually thought about using it. Are there a lot of domainers or end users on Linkedin looking for domains?

•••
When trying to sell a domain what do you like to do to prepare that domain for sale?

Depends on what type of domain it is. For example, if it’s something common or there are multiple potential end users, I sell the domain ‘as is’ by parking it with a ‘for sale’ link or listing it on auction. If the domain seems to have more value developed, then I develop it. But I rarely sell developed sites as they are more profitable maintained than one time sale.

Should I buy trying to build back links or promoting them some way?

Undeveloped domains with backlinks don’t look good.

You could promote domains through social networks or featured listings at various marketplaces depending on the quality of the name.

I have very little coding skill so I usually only sell domains as is, with no website.

Knowing basic coding helps, but it’s not necessary. You could use site builder provided by your webhost for mini sites or install wordpress.

•••
Just curious. How do you use linkedin for domaining? I don't have one currently, but never actually thought about using it. Are there a lot of domainers or end users on Linkedin looking for domains?
I am new to it too and trying to figure out actually :D

•••
Thank you everyone for your responses to this thread! Getting some great information from everyone!

•••
Not all domains are created equal, thus there are different deployment strategies that I have used over the years to prep them for sale. Rather than digging up all the techniques I've used over the years that I moved away from eventually, I'll just brush up on what I ended up using that worked for me. (Results may very and what works for one may not work for another).

First and foremost, I hate domains that don't pull their own weight (Pay their own renewals). because of this I've geared my domains to do just that, pay for them self till they sell. That way, I'm not pressured to sell (Ever) and never have to worry about any out of pocket expenses that could set me back.

With that said, what I prefer to do is develop everything I put into my portfolio. Regardless of my skill level in code, it's worked best for me. My coding skills are limited to html / css / and very basic .php edits (I can't code any php on the fly). This minimal knowledge coupled with my design hobby allows me to create static mini sites or modify dynamic opensource cms sites.

Regardless whether I opt for static or dynamic, I always implement a basic SEO/SEM campaign that will at least get me to page #1 in search engines for some of the more basic long tail terms that not as many people compete for or target. The sites range from pure informational PPC, services, and digital download products. Each with the ability to support them self over the course of a 12 mo. cycle. Most of the sites I do this with are launched with a 30 to 90 campaign & never promoted again as they sit and slowly crawl up the index ladder. Normally they have obtained their investment back within the first 6 to 8 months.

Don't get me wrong here, I also believe that mini sites are fading out fast and a thing of the past. however, I still feel strongly that they out-perform parking any day of the week when done right + you get a bigger piece of the financial pie when they convert. When possible (and time allows) I always suggest that one expand on their mini site and develop it into a larger scale and more sustainable business model. Not only does this increase it's potential revenue stream over time, it also increases it's value the larger it grows.

Now, before I get way off track here and lose the point of my reply, I'll close with how a developed domain is much more presentable and marketable when pitching a potential buyer. Not everyone can visualize a domains development potential. Having at least a bare bones foundation up that walks them through the possibilities can increase your bottom line substantially. Remember the 5 senses (See, Touch, Taste, Hear, Smell), you need a few of those in your presentation. Blank canvases are great for the naturally creative, but not so hot for the more technical buyer.

Naturally, each presentation should be customized to the buyer. You don't want to generalize to much with a generic pitch that leaves them feeling like a number in a basket you randomly picked up. Here's a few other threads / articles that may help a bit more:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-selling-psychology-an-inside-look.781282/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-find-potential-end-users.68798/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/tips-for-presenting-to-investors.779873/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/marketing-ideas-and-techniques.719211/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-sales-letter-examples.1757/

Hope that helps,

Eric lyon

•••
Not all domains are created equal, thus there are different deployment strategies that I have used over the years to prep them for sale. Rather than digging up all the techniques I've used over the years that I moved away from eventually, I'll just brush up on what I ended up using that worked for me. (Results may very and what works for one may not work for another).

First and foremost, I hate domains that don't pull their own weight (Pay their own renewals). because of this I've geared my domains to do just that, pay for them self till they sell. That way, I'm not pressured to sell (Ever) and never have to worry about any out of pocket expenses that could set me back.

With that said, what I prefer to do is develop everything I put into my portfolio. Regardless of my skill level in code, it's worked best for me. My coding skills are limited to html / css / and very basic .php edits (I can't code any php on the fly). This minimal knowledge coupled with my design hobby allows me to create static mini sites or modify dynamic opensource cms sites.

Regardless whether I opt for static or dynamic, I always implement a basic SEO/SEM campaign that will at least get me to page #1 in search engines for some of the more basic long tail terms that not as many people compete for or target. The sites range from pure informational PPC, services, and digital download products. Each with the ability to support them self over the course of a 12 mo. cycle. Most of the sites I do this with are launched with a 30 to 90 campaign & never promoted again as they sit and slowly crawl up the index ladder. Normally they have obtained their investment back within the first 6 to 8 months.

Don't get me wrong here, I also believe that mini sites are fading out fast and a thing of the past. however, I still feel strongly that they out-perform parking any day of the week when done right + you get a bigger piece of the financial pie when they convert. When possible (and time allows) I always suggest that one expand on their mini site and develop it into a larger scale and more sustainable business model. Not only does this increase it's potential revenue stream over time, it also increases it's value the larger it grows.

Now, before I get way off track here and lose the point of my reply, I'll close with how a developed domain is much more presentable and marketable when pitching a potential buyer. Not everyone can visualize a domains development potential. Having at least a bare bones foundation up that walks them through the possibilities can increase your bottom line substantially. Remember the 5 senses (See, Touch, Taste, Hear, Smell), you need a few of those in your presentation. Blank canvases are great for the naturally creative, but not so hot for the more technical buyer.

Naturally, each presentation should be customized to the buyer. You don't want to generalize to much with a generic pitch that leaves them feeling like a number in a basket you randomly picked up. Here's a few other threads / articles that may help a bit more:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-selling-psychology-an-inside-look.781282/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-find-potential-end-users.68798/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/tips-for-presenting-to-investors.779873/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/marketing-ideas-and-techniques.719211/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-sales-letter-examples.1757/

Hope that helps,

Eric lyon

Wow! Thank you very much for such a detailed response. That was a great explanation on how you handle your domains and I have learned something. I will work a little harder with SEO/SEM to boost my domain to number 1 in search engine. That is always something I've had a problem with. Not very good with SEO/SEM.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back