IT.COM

question About Netfirm/Dotster/Mydomain expired names

NameSilo
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
Hello bros,

I have a question wanna ask here regarding my expired names at netfirm/dotster family registrars.

I have around 3 names that are now in redemption period (b/c of my carelessness), and even I have auth codes, I am unable to transfer them away. And if I recover them from redemption, I need to pay $99 USD, which is much higher than my expected amount.

I asked dotster staffs, they said they names will be deleted after the redemption period, and later they will become available again, then I can register them.

However, I asked them what if some company like hugedomains use dropcatch to get my names, they didn't give me a clear response. So my question is: what would be the best solutions in your opinion to get the names back? Are there risks to lose the names? How dropcatch and hugedomains work? How to avoide

thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If its valuable names u should pay $99 ( maybe ask them for group discount, they will go for it 50% for example),but if they are so so then u have no option but to backorder it yourself. You can use few backorder services. You will most likely get them

•••
how much the back order price?

•••
•••
I would go with dynadot for $14, also u can get some coupon code to make it less.

•••
There is a tricky issue with backordering. Maybe people would not notice them, but if u backorder others may join. You will have to win auction between everyone who ordered. You may want them to get deleted so u get them for reg fee and also they stay invicible to backorder services

•••
Well, in theory they were already available in aftermarket at day 30-45 and no one was interested, so that might work in your favor. Except I have seen many domains go unpurchased during backorder / expiring and all the way through closeout, then someone picks it up the day of drop because it's on the drop lists.

The Redemption cost is an actual cost to them, however they should have a little room to maybe offer you a discount. For reference to the best of my knowledge the lowest Redemption is around $50, so if even that would be higher than you want to pay, you're probably out of luck. I would ask super politely if they would consider giving you a discount, especially if you are going to redeem all three. If you can call them on the phone, that seems to work better, be super kind and along the lines of, gosh I really messed up, it's my fault, it would be swell if can you help me out. Or pick the best one and pay for that in Redemption, then try your luck at drop for the others.

Also if they have any age if that matters, you'd lose that if it gets to dropcatching stage.

Good Luck!

•••
It depends on domains, but if at reseller is worth $xxx then other people will buythem and you might end paying more then $99.
Without knowing the domains it's hard to give an more precise advice.

•••
Those names are sent to the expired auctions aftermarket (I think GD does it now) so you might want to search on GD and see if they go to Closeouts. If they do, order them there. Slightly more expensive than standard renewal but far cheaper than the redemption fee

•••
Expired domains from Dotster go to prerelease either at Snapnames or Namejet first. Can't remember which.

You could have re-purchased it while its in prerelease at Snap or NJ. I think you missed the prerelease window because that is normally right before the redemption status.

If your domain names have any value to anyone else, I would pay the redemption fee. Because if they have any value, the next step means your domain names will be snatched by HugeDomains at the drop or end up in an inflated auction.

•••
As said above you have to determine what the names are worth to you if they're not worth $99 find a cheap backorder solution there's no other way to get the name out of redemption if you didn't send your soft the authorization code prior to the redemption. What I do when I have names expiring at doster or netfirms. I unlock and send the authorization code early on domains I know I want to transfer away this way I am not stuck after they expire

•••
What I do when I have names expiring at doster or netfirms. I unlock and send the authorization code early on domains I know I want to transfer away this way I am not stuck after they expire

What he said...
You can also do this for domains registered at Godaddy

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back