domains A look at domain name negotiation from the buyer’s point of view

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
For the most part we analyze domain name negotiation from the domainer or broker’s point of view. Ryan Kulp is an interesting guy, he is the founder of Fomo, the world’s first social proof marketing platform. He is also a musician, coder and writes some detailed personal things about his life on his blog RyanCKulp.com. […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most of the times I encounter the term "squatters" I'm quite literally laughing :laugh:
They have no idea what it is and yet they continue using it because they can.
End users want easy to get domains and it is hard for them to accept that they will have to pay a lot more than their initial budget.

A premium domain isn't worth $15.
When they will understand how the domain market works, those claims of "squatter" will be less frequent.
I'm a bit disappointed that even in today's digital world most people are naive in regard to domain pricing.

•••
Most of the times I encounter the term "squatters" I'm quite literally laughing :laugh:
End users want easy to get domains and it is hard for them to accept that they will have to pay a lot more than their initial budget.

A premium domain isn't worth $15.
When they will understand how the domain market works, those claims of "squatter" will be less frequent.
I'm a bit disappointed that even in today's digital world most people are naive in regard to domain pricing.

You will notice 9 comments, Ryan replied back to each commenter, except G who went after him for calling domain investors squatters. And it does not look like G is an active or known player in the domain industry.

•••
“this is probably how i wore down 1 broker from $20,000 to $800, for socialproof.org.”

So, who was the broker on this domain? Some trainee employee at the Registrar in 2018?

•••
“this is probably how i wore down 1 broker from $20,000 to $800, for socialproof.org.”

So, who was the broker on this domain? Some trainee employee at the Registrar in 2018?

Yeah I did wonder what broker was working on a % of $800?

•••
You will notice 9 comments, Ryan replied back to each commenter, except G who went after him for calling domain investors squatters. And it does not look like G is an active or known player in the domain industry.

Sorry I see only 2 comments. Neither from Ryan. this has happened quite a lot recently. What amI doing wrong?

•••
OK. I found it in the original post.

Nice concept. I sometimes use the same when I want to buy a domain. But I only ever encounter the squatters and holdouts. I'm sorry. But I don't have much patience with anybody who doesn't want to negotiate. Let alone participate in a discussion.

rgds
stu

•••

I know, and the term "domain squatter" has to the the worst misnomer in the history of mankind.

•••
I dont know what everyone thinks but to me this guy is full of himself.

•••
•••
Well it's his problem. If you follow that logic, then those of us that are into property and stock investing are equally squatters:xf.grin::ROFL:

•••
OK. I found it in the original post.

Nice concept. I sometimes use the same when I want to buy a domain. But I only ever encounter the squatters and holdouts. I'm sorry. But I don't have much patience with anybody who doesn't want to negotiate. Let alone participate in a discussion.

rgds
stu

You are encountering squatters?

•••

Maybe in one of his New England townhouses, but not on the internet.

The term "domain squatter" is a total misnomer coined by someone with only a rudimentary knowledge of the English language.

A domain investor or a company (like Amazon, Google, etc.) that holds a domain property as an asset is the rightful title holder of that domain, as attested by the WHOIS, and therefore cannot "squat" on something they already legally own or license.

What is happening in some instances is "IP/TM squatting" whereby someone knowingly uses a well-known and long-held registered Trademark to create said domain name, thereby allegedly "squatting" on the company's IP, not the domain that the investor/developer/company holds title on.

It's like owning a building that you someday hope to either open up a restaurant in or sell at a profit, and you can do that forever. You own title on it and it can just sit there, with you paying the yearly fees, while it either increases or decreases in value. The problem comes is if you decide to name your restaurant McDonalds or Burger King and hope to make money on the name without a license or agreement - that is the point where you are treading or squatting on the IP.

But you are not squatting on the building or property you hold title on, and will own it until McDonalds or Burger King takes it away in a lawsuit.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe in one of his New England townhouses, but not on the internet.

The term "domain squatter" is a total misnomer coined by someone with only a rudimentary knowledge of the English language.

A domain investor or a company (like Amazon, Google, etc.) that holds a domain property as an asset is the rightful title holder of that domain, as attested by the WHOIS, and therefore cannot "squat" on something they already legally own or license.

What is happening in some instances is "IP/TM squatting" whereby the someone knowingly uses a well-known and long-held registered Trademark to create said domain name, thereby allegedly "squatting" on the company's IP, not the domain that the investor/developer/company holds title on.

It's like owning a building that you someday hope to either open up a restaurant in or sell at a profit, and you can do that forever. You own title on it and it can just sit there, with you paying the yearly fees, while it either increases or decreases in value. The problem comes is if you decide to name your restaurant McDonalds or Burger King and hope to make money on the name without a license or agreement - that is the point where you are treading or squatting on the IP.

But you are not squatting on the building or property you hold title on, and will own it until McDonalds or Burger King takes it away in a lawsuit.

Yes I am well aware, I am looking for the reply from Stub to see why he used that term.

•••
Yes I am well aware, I am looking for the reply from Stub to see why he used that term.

And I am effectively .cc replying to Stub using your initial inquiry.

•••

I'm not using my words here. I'm using the words as defined by the OP. But I do find sometimes that people with those traits are on the other end of the negotiation. Yup. I usually respond once explaining how outrageous and unrealistic there offer is and I never hear from them again :) And knock that domain off my list.

•••
•••
What a bozo, and he's not even worth a reply.

Plus, he's obviously too poor to even buy a dictionary to look up what "squatter" really means.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Tell the proprietor you're keen on purchasing their space name. Approach if it's available to be purchased and the asking cost. Try not to call the area name proprietor a squatter or make a negative remark about the way that they aren't utilizing the space name for anything. This will begin your exchange off in an undesirable manner.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back