Domain Empire

discuss A domain swap service: Would you use it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Would you use a domain swap service if I were to start an experiment here on NamePros?

Just testing the idea:

Let's say 3/4 different people come together to create a Godaddy and other registrar accounts which could be used as an escrow.
People who decide to swap their domain for something else can decide among themselves and send it to that account. Once both the parties have deposited their domain names, the owner of the account transfers the domain to the parties.

Swap complete!

Would you want to test it out?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because it is complex setup for something that is of very subjective value. The value actually is often very low, from zero to low 2 figures. Now imagine the hell of trying to navigate through this and also be in charge of handling the control of the names. Plus, since it is a swap, it is cashless, so what does the platform take the cut from?
No cut. Only a membership fee eventually.
As they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

•••
I think it would be a absolutely fantastic service! It’s the core of what money was before money- barter. Your cow for my 3 goats.

Even though some people can overvalue a name… that doesn’t stop it from working. Because when you really want a certain name you’ll be willing to give up value for value and make it a win win.

And the person who puts up their name for swap or barter can simply take interested submissions (people willing to do the trade off), and choose the trade off he feels fits the value of his or her name. Remember the interested parties are already willing to part with their names for that specific name. And they must fulfill that obligation if the poster choose their submission for the trade off.

It’s all about negotiation…. And making sure it’s a win win. A win win could be a personal win for you or a equal value trade off.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back