NameSilo

A Different Redirect SEO Question

Located in Domain Parking and Traffic Monetization started by D D England, Sep 18, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. D D England

D D England Established Member

I have a domain name that I'm branding. However, some of the social media accounts for that name has been taken. So I'm adding an "i" in front of the twitter, facebook, etc names. To fix any confusion, I also purchased the domain name with the "i" in front of my main website name and I want to forward it to my main website name (just in case someone thinks my domain name is the one with the "i" in front of it). Will this hurt my SEO? I've been reading stuff about redirecting may cause SEO problems with Google and I'm getting a bit confused. Thanks.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It won't hurt. Best practice is to use a 301 redirect. Consider forwarding email also.

If your unsure what 301 means, Google is your friend.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  3. larryscott2559

larryscott2559 Established Member

Many brands just put @brandcom when their name is taken or @officialbrand

Its a common industry practice. You can see an example of that from Local.com

4. D D England

D D England Established Member

That's a good idea! Thanks for sharing that info. It's shorter with an "i" (and catchy), but more functional with the "com" at the end.

5. viniproject09

viniproject09 Upgraded Member Blue Account

Yes, 301 redirect will help you in SEO to get ranking from domain with i

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!