Dynadot

A company asked me to return my domain to them

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi!

So I registered a brandable domain a while ago, and just found out the domain was belong to a company because they sent me an email and asked me to return it to them - apparently they forgot to renew the domain, I did a trademark search for the word, and it was abandoned long before I registered the domain. What should I do about it?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi!

So I registered a brandable domain a while ago, and just found out the domain was belong to a company because they sent me an email and asked me to return it to them - apparently they forgot to renew the domain, I did a trademark search for the word, and it was abandoned long before I registered the domain. What should I do about it?

Thanks.
Respond to the email with your price.

If they make any further demands for the domain, as though it is their right to own it, then tell them that the price just went up.

(y)

•••
^^ This.

But also, check trademark in all possible sources, before.

•••
Respond to the email with your price.

If they make any further demands for the domain, as though it is their right to own it, then tell them that the price just went up.

(y)

Thanks! :) From what they've written in their email, they wanted it back without paying a cent even though they are a multi-million dollar company, I had the domain parked with an offer page, instead, they contacted me through my email and the email wasn't a friendly one either, no hello, no names, simply a bossy message, so I didn't even want to reply

•••
That sounds awfully rude of them considering it was their mistake and you're the only person in a position to help them.

I wonder if the person that reached out to you is the one who forgot to renew the domain and they're worried about consequences if they don't get it back?

Maybe they don't want to have to admit to their bosses that they forgot to register it, so they didn't want to offer money, and they figure bullying is their best bet to get it for free?

Maybe you should speak to their manager :xf.grin:

•••
That sounds awfully rude of them considering it was their mistake and you're the only person in a position to help them.

I wonder if the person that reached out to you is the one who forgot to renew the domain and they're worried about consequences if they don't get it back?

Maybe they don't want to have to admit to their bosses that they forgot to register it, so they didn't want to offer money, and they figure bullying is their best bet to get it for free?

Maybe you should speak to their manager :xf.grin:

Their manager? :xf.laugh: Even better, it was actually the boss of the company who wrote that email, I guess he is too used to have everything his way.

He's owned the company for years since he acquired it, but realized he no longer own the domain after nearly a year, so maybe it's not too important for him?

•••
Bummer for them.

Hope you get some cash out of it.

•••
It's basically yours now, and you are not obligated to 'give it back' to them. So the call is yours how to handle it forward, but 'giving it back' shouldn't be an option. imo.

Also, you should archive.org it, and see if they were using it prior, and for how long. There is a 'scam' out there, where some will contact new domain owners saying what you noted they said to you, in the off chance you'll give it to them.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Unless you have not any trademark issues I think you can completely ignore them. And enjoy your cocktail in the pool.

•••
They've clearly just had the domain parked. Well done for checking on the Trademark status. I had the same situation years ago, when a previous domain owner also tried to fool-me into believing their trademark was live (which it wasn't)

I would send a polite reply, mention that you were pleased to secure the domain as the TM had shown as expired/cancelled - and the domain free of any Usage/legal restrictions. Remind the email sender that you would consider any further Threatening emails as harassment and will report the sender to the TradeMark office and their email hosting Company.
Neither are likely to do anything but, any reputable company will take the prospect of such, as not welcome. This should bring about a more amicable communication channel, Then you decide on what's fair and how to proceed

Last edited:
•••
I receive a few such inquiries yearly...
And never had any good offers from the "previous registrants"... always superlowball...
So I don't consider them anymore and just ignore.

Last edited:
•••
It's basically yours now, and you are not obligated to 'give it back' to them. So the call is yours how to handle it forward, but 'giving it back' shouldn't be an option. imo.

Also, you should archive.org it, and see if they were using it prior, and for how long. There is a 'scam' out there, where some will contact new domain owners saying what you noted they said to you, in the off chance you'll give it them.

Thank you! In fact, I've done some searches on both the company and the person, he's on Linkedin and that's where I got all the info I mentioned above.

•••
Thanks! :) From what they've written in their email, they wanted it back without paying a cent even though they are a multi-million dollar company, I had the domain parked with an offer page, instead, they contacted me through my email and the email wasn't a friendly one either, no hello, no names, simply a bossy message, so I didn't even want to reply
You should be careful that no ads relating to this company are shown on your landing page.

•••
They've clearly just had the domain parked. Well done for checking on the Trademark status. I had the same situation years ago, when a previous domain owner also tried to fool-me into believing their trademark was live (which it wasn't)

I would send a polite reply, mention that you were pleased to secure the domain as the TM had shown as expired/cancelled - and the domain free of any Usage/legal restrictions. Remind the email sender that you would consider any further Threatening emails as harassment and will report the sender to the TradeMark office and their email hosting Company.
Neither are likely to do anything but, any reputable company will take the prospect of such, as not welcome. This should bring about a more amicable communication channel, Then you decide on what's fair and how to proceed

Thank you! (y)

•••
Thank you! (y)

a pleasure. Many domainers feel quite intimidated by trademarks but, the requirements on a TM holder are very strict. Any abuse or misrepresentation of these rights can land a holder with some serious problems

•••
I had the domain parked with an offer page, instead, they contacted me through my email and the email wasn't a friendly one either, no hello, no names, simply a bossy message, so I didn't even want to reply

Put something up on the page bro.

Use it or lose it.

Abandoned TM, dropped domain; they are on the losing side of this.

Don't talk money, let them make offers. You suggest an offer it makes you look bad.

Also all of this ^^^ (y)(y)

•••
Put something up on the page bro.

Use it or lose it.

Abandoned TM, dropped domain; they are on the losing side of this.

Don't talk money, let them make offers. You suggest an offer it makes you look bad.

Also all of this ^^^ (y)(y)

Thank you. I was thinking about asking for a ridiculously high price and see what they respond to it, they are clearly not willing to pay a single cent for the domain, I would end up getting some super low ball offers, so I don't see the point for them to make offers.

•••
Looks like I'm dealing with a serial CFO too

•••
i would say sorry, you picked up the name because it was expired and fit perfectly with what you are doing - and had already started plans on building a business with the name.

lets see what they say to that

•••
Names drop all the time, send them the sales link

•••
Just give them the name back. They aren't going to buy it back from you.

•••
I have a couple of points.

Was the TM which was abandoned belonging to the company who contacted you. Or was it owned by somebody else. If it was the same company, at least for TM issues, they need to be diligently protecting their TM. Letting the TM and domain expire is definitely not diligently protecting their TM. Leaving it for 1 year before trying to recover the domain, is also not going to sit well with any judge. Any TM lawyer would have a field day with this case, as described. If it was owned by somebody else, they would have an uphill battle under TM law to regain the domain. Probably also with any UDRP.

I hope when you say parked. It was parked as a For Sale page rather then displaying ads which could have links to their competitors. If it is parked with ads. Change it to a Make Offer For Sale Page, or better still put a webpage on the domain. But DO NOT leave it displaying ads.

I am not a lawyer. If you need legal advice. Please consult a TM Lawyer who is also familiar with how the UDRP operates.

Last edited:
•••
Just give them the name back. They aren't going to buy it back from you.
They may be playing hardball.
I surely wouldn't give the name back. OP might be sitting on a goldmine :xf.wink:
Who knows?

•••
depends on the name and if its an obvious TM word

•••
Back