Domain Empire

question A large company bought my domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.

I used to own a domain name that was my actual name... I have a pretty rare name.

Anyway, I forgot to renew it and when I went to try again a large company have bought it and are I guess squatting on it, trying to sell it back to me for like $1000.

Are they allowed to do this?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unless you have a trademark on your name, it will be VERY hard to get it back... unless you're willing to negotiate on the price.

•••
Yes, you will have to buy the name from them, they have as much right to the name as you do.

•••
Why an experienced person asking this kind of question on a domain name?

Are rules different for domainers and other people?

Is there something which I failed to understand on this issue?

•••
Offer something lower, or wait for it to drop.

Your other option is to file a UDRP domain dispute, but filing fee on that is more than $1500 if I recall, and you will have to prove that you have established trademark rights in the name.

•••
if it is not trademarked they can do whatever they want and even in some cases they can even if it is depending on how it is used really.

•••
You forgot to renew it and didnt pay attention on this fact for almost 60 days period you could get it back paying a razonable price?
I think you forgot renewal it and decided not to use 60 days period and pay more than reg fee, hoping to handreg it again, but somebody catched it before you.
So it was your fault and you have to pay now before they will say a few thousand more or wait 1 year maybe they drop it and somebody else will catch it and will never want to sell it. Not for $1000 nor for $10000

•••

The average domain does not want to pay for a name but would want someone else (end user) to pay for a domain name. lol.

•••

Why are you wasting your time replying, you hidious person.

•••
Because he is right.
You reg a domain for $8 and sell it for XXXX, but when somebody makes the same thing you search for the solution to press him and have your domain back for free.
You had 60 days to renewal it and you didnt do it, so what do you want now?
Nobody lose his domain for just forget to renewal it, nobody takes the domain from you the same moment you forget to pay, you have a lot of time to fix your error and pay.
Your fault was leave it thinking you will handreg it and pay just $8.
You could pay $100 or $150 or I dont remember how much during 60 days period, but you preffered to wait passively.
So, what do you want now? Advice?
Ok, pay them $1000 and get it back, because somebody else can buy it and ask from you more or never want to sell it again.

•••
You don't have any option except to negotiate unless you have a trademark of that name.

Try not to show them that you want it badly, be casual, appear cool, and lower the price down by directly offering a low amount like say $150-200, and make it clear that you will buy only for that price, otherwise not interested. this way even if they refuse to accept initially, later on they probably will get back to you in few months time or at max when their renew time will come, implying that nobody else will be desperate to get that domain from them.

•••
You don't have any option except to negotiate unless you have a trademark of that name.

Try not to show them that you want it badly, be casual, appear cool, and lower the price down by directly offering a low amount like say $150-200, and make it clear that you will buy only for that price, otherwise not interested. this way even if they refuse to accept initially, later on they probably will get back to you in few months time or at max when their renew time will come, implying that nobody else will be desperate to get that domain from them.

He told "big company", so I dont think he could buy it for low XXX, and being in hands of not just domainer but a big company and being a NAME not important comun or not, but being the NAME, there are a lot of posibility somebody will buy it before him.

•••
•••
Thanks for the replies. It isn't a big deal, was just curious.

To those who feel the need to leave aggressive over the top replies, go f*ck yourselves.

Be normal and leave a normal response, any excuse to be a dick head aye!

Mods need to kick you off this board, you have nothing nice to say and if you can't be polite you shouldn't be here.

You were clearly raised in a barn by pigs, manners cost nothing.

If anyone say, you would get your domain back...it would be nice for you.

•••
He told "big company", so I dont think he could buy it for low XXX, and being in hands of not just domainer but a big company and being a NAME not important comun or not, but being the NAME, there are a lot of posibility somebody will buy it before him.

You are right but if he quotes such lower price, then there is chance that company may come to XXX higher amount rather than $1K+

and yeah there will always be a risk, depends how badly he wants it, he can or cannot take the risk.

•••
1. He must hide his own name to avoid the seller to understand how badly he needs it.
2. Use a new email not related with his name and better if they come to the solution, even then not to show his name, better use somebody credit card or paypal, to avoid them cancell the deal last moment and say a new price.
3. He can try, I never told not to try, I just want to say if he really wants it so badly, he will be ready to pay $1000 after his tries, because if he will wait more time who knows where this domain will go to?
Once he lost it because of not to be too active and because of just sitting and waiting..

•••
Thanks for the replies. It isn't a big deal, was just curious.

To those who feel the need to leave aggressive over the top replies, go f*ck yourselves.

Be normal and leave a normal response, any excuse to be a dick head aye!

Mods need to kick you off this board, you have nothing nice to say and if you can't be polite you shouldn't be here.

You were clearly raised in a barn by pigs, manners cost nothing.

Perhaps some of the negative comments were uncalled for but you are complaining about people being aggressive, in-polite and ill mannered whilst telling people to go f*ck themselves and saying that they were raised in a barn by pigs.... probably not the best way to make your point mate.

•••
I would wait for it to drop. Any expression of interest just makes them more likely to keep it. If it isn't a common name there aren't many possible buyers, and an automated process may just dump it.

Was your name in the WHOIS before?

•••
The moment you let these people know you have even the tiniest interest in the domain (any email contact), at the very least it's a guaranty renewing of the domain.

So its best to never even contact them and wait and see if they want to renew.

Let them pay the yearly renewals for you, and pick it up on the drop in the future

•••
The moment you let these people know you have even the tiniest interest in the domain (any email contact), at the very least it's a guaranty renewing of the domain.

So its best to never even contact them and wait and see if they want to renew.

Let them pay the yearly renewals for you, and pick it up on the drop in the future
If it is a NAME they will not drop it or somebody will buy it.
You kidding or really gives advice to wait?
He waited already until he lost it...

•••
If it is a NAME they will not drop it or somebody will buy it.
You kidding or really gives advice to wait?
He waited already until he lost it...

Yeah dude it's my advice. Reread his situation

Good Luck

•••
Yeah dude it's my advice. Reread his situation

Good Luck
I handreg the domain I use as my personal website in 2011 after a few years of thinking about the name combination. All possible decent combination with my name not aviable, so finally I handreg "portalmaya".
And resulted that in 2008 some guy gave this name to his travel agency in Mexico but never thought about the website, so now I recieve sometimes emails for his agency coming to my email, and he personally asked me to let him use this domain (leasing). I told not. He still has no website I think, just FB account, and maybe he is also still waiting... but I never will drop the domain...

•••
if you can get it fo 1K

buy it !

•••

It takes few seconds to use worst words about you. I don't stoop that level.

Namepros is full of advisors...even this thread is receiving advice....

•••
The new owner has done nothing wrong, It's not your domain anymore, you forgot to renew and you gave it up.

If you want to own the name again, the only option you have is to buy it back and put it down to experience and not let one of your domains expire again that you want to keep.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back