IT.COM

analysis 50 Future Unicorns by CB Insights: Domain Names

NameSilo
Watch

capybara

capybaraTop Member
Impact
A couple weeks ago CB Insights has released a list of 50 future unicorns – companies they expect to exceed $1B in value soon.
Future-Unicorns-Graphic-V3.png

32, the majority, of these companies use their exact match .com domains
8 companies use non-exact match .com domains:
Attentive (attentivemobile.com), Divvy (getdivvy.com), Ironclad (ironcladapp.com), Luminar (luminartech.com), Lyra (lyrahealth.com), Omada (omadahealth.com), Relativity (relativityspace.com) and Slice (slicelife.com)​
5 companies use .io domains:
Frame.io (frame.io), Gong (gong.io), Harness (harness.io), Sentry (sentry.io) and Tray.io (tray.io)
As it can be seen, only two of them – Frame.io and Tray.io – use the extension as a part of their brand.​
2 companies use country-code domains:
Codemao (codemao.cn) and Uala (uala.com.ar)​
1 company – Covariant – is using .ai extension (covariant.ai)
1 company – ThoughtMachine – is using .net (thoughtmachine.net)
1 company – Cred – is running on a .club domain name (cred.club)

I can add that when I checked these companies with Google, for most of the exact match .com users from this list I was getting their website on the top of search result lists, and I had to add extra words (like 'startup') to find most of the non-exact match .com owners. Other extension companies performed better than the non-exact match .coms, also coming up on the top.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Thanks Don. Very interesting. Appreciated.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back