Dynadot

.com 417.com sells for $169K....Don't fear the number 4

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jacks86

Top Member
Impact
I totally understand that Asian buyers don't like the number 4 because it sounds like death. But at the same time, when a 3N.com is still for over 6 figures, there's no reason to totally ignore it. Lots of NP domainers are always looking no domains with no 0 or 4, well I say that's a little overblown. Sure it's not as desirable and hence the lower price. But it's still valuable regardless. I remember seeing 4444.biz sell for $2000 a while ago too.

As for the vowels, I don't follow that at all, so not sure how much of a difference it really makes. I prefer numbers because they are more rare and straight forward compared to letters.

3N's - only 1000 possible combinations
3L's - 17,576 possible combinations.

I'm also not sure if 4N is better than 3L or vis-versa. Less 4N, but 3L is shorter. In the end I see buyouts on most 3N,3L throughout most domain extensions anyway.

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good sale, wonder how much it would have been worth in .net

•••
Hard to say, .NET drops in value quite a bit on .NET compared to .COM . Most sales history is from over year ago, but I would say mid XXXX at least for 417.NET. Still, if you bought NNN.NET 10 years ago and got XXXX for it now, worth the investment I think. But I would hold it for now, things are going to pick up in the numbered domain market this year. I really hope this 417.com sale dispels people's fears on the number 4.

http://namebio.com/?s=gMxMDO4AzM

•••
Even for other extensions like .xyz, .tv, .info, there's 4's and 0's selling for premiums. All this stuff was bought A year ago or earlier. Always go for 8's and other numbers, but if there's a new popular gtld or cctld and all that's left in the 3N's are 4's and 0's, your better off getting that then missing the boat completely:

http://namebio.com/?s=QO0MDO4AzM

•••
Yeah, its that price because its NNN.com, there are plenty of decent sales with the number "4" in it

419.com
150,000 USD

458.com
140,000 USD

144.com
110,000 USD

114.com
2,100,000 USD

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back