Domain Empire

32 or 64 bit OS with dual core?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm thinking of upgrading to a new server. Currently looking at an AMD Opteron 1216. This system has full 64-bit processing from what I've read. So my decision comes down to running CentOS 32-bit or CentOS 64-bit.

Running under 64-bit, especially with the dual core and 2 gig of RAM should optimize speed and performance from what I've read. The only concern I have is whether I will experience any problems using a 64-bit environment.

I'm just planning to run a standard LAMP server (linux, apache, mySQL, php) for my social networking site. Can anyone foresee any major concerns or issues if I use a 64-bit OS?

Thanks in advance! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've been using 32 bit and 64 bit. I can honestly say 64 bit is much better in many areas. I have not had any issues with it, but 32 bit I have. I believe you can't see more than 3GB ram on a 32 bit, so you would need to use a 64 bit if you ever decide to get more than 3GB ram (we have a 32 bit with 4GB ram, but it only shows 3.2GB).

•••
Well I'm only planning on having 2 gig of RAM to start, so thats not really the issue. Just looking for the best way to optimize the server. The Opteron is made for 64-bit and can have an increase of upto 20% in performance if used under a 64-bit OS, at least thats what I've read. I just don't want to set it up for 64-bit if it's going to cause lots of problems and not be worth it :)

THanks for the input, much appreciated :)

•••
I think it will not cause any problems, and will help you with problems in the future. the question is do you really need it?

•••
den'd domain said:
I think it will not cause any problems, and will help you with problems in the future. the question is do you really need it?

Yes. Why wouldn't I want to get the most out of my server? :)

•••
Edit, post on the wrongly

•••
Just an update. This was all sort of pointless, because when I tried to choose a 64-bit OS when purchasing the server, it said it wasn't compatible with Plesk or Cpanel... So apparently those only work in 32-bit environments, and I don't know enough about server administration to not use Plesk or Cpanel. So I went with 32-bit :)

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated!

•••
slipxaway said:
Just an update. This was all sort of pointless, because when I tried to choose a 64-bit OS when purchasing the server, it said it wasn't compatible with Plesk or Cpanel... So apparently those only work in 32-bit environments, and I don't know enough about server administration to not use Plesk or Cpanel. So I went with 32-bit :)

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated!
cPanel does support CentOS 4 64-bit. I have a few servers running it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back