Dynadot

3 WHOIS Tools that Can Help Domainers with Their Research

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying and selling Internet domain names isn’t exactly a straightforward business. A lot of factors are worth accounting for, and conducting research before committing to a transaction is paramount. That said, collecting relevant information about domains can be made easier with the right set of intelligence tools. Which tools, you may ask? Here are three of them that I want to discuss in this thread:

1. Reverse WHOIS Search

Paying attention to market leaders’ doings is usually useful. What makes these established domain investors tick, after all, are the domain names that really buy and sell. And so you might learn a thing or two if you look at their inventories.

Armed with a domainer’s name, you can use Reverse WHOIS Search to see a list of domains in their portfolios. We tried looking up Frank Schilling, the founder of Name Administration Inc., which is estimated to have a net worth of US$20 million. Under his name, you’d find around 60 generic domain names. If you use his company name, you will find thousands of domains, ranging from 0aprcreditcards[.]com to zux[.]net.

Studying these domain names may help you understand some of the tactics this top domainer uses. You may also see trends that can benefit your business as well.

Another way to find out what types of domain names are worth investing in is by looking at popular keywords. For example, domain names focusing on artificial intelligence are lucrative investments since it is considered one of the technologies of the future. How would you go about researching domain names related to this particular keyword? Reverse WHOIS Search can help.

You can query the tool using the keyword to get a list of domain names that have the search term in their WHOIS records. For “artificial intelligence,” Reverse WHOIS Search returned hundreds of domain names, including those that could be sellable. Below are a few of them:
  • ai-australia[.]com
  • ai-research[.]online
  • ai-talks[.]com
  • applied-ai[.]site
You can also dig deeper into these domains to find out if their current owners are willing to sell them.

2. WHOIS Search

Once you find domain names that are interesting and sellable, the next thing you need to do is to check who owns them at present. Gathering the owners’ contact details would be wise so you can facilitate their sale. You can do so using WHOIS Search.

With the tool, you can see that ai-australia[.]com is currently under registrant Stephen James whom you can contact via the email address alldesigns@iinet[.]net[.]au. You can then check if he is interested in selling the domain and go from there. You should also note that Stephen James could also be a prospective buyer for similar design-related domain names.

3. Domain Monitor

Now, let’s say that Stephen James, the current owner of alldesigns@iinet[.]net[.]au does not want to sell the domain. Should you give up?

In the long haul, if you believe in the lucrativeness of the domain, then you won’t. What you can do in the meantime is to monitor the domain name using Domain Monitor. It can alert you when domain names get dropped, so when the current registrant of alldesigns@iinet[.]net[.]au, for instance, decided not to renew its registration, you can immediately dive in.

Bottom line: Research is always a part of any investment venture, including buying and selling domain names. Technology can help make the research process easier. When properly leveraged, domain research and monitoring tools such as Reverse WHOIS Search, WHOIS Search, and Domain Monitor effectively cut the time and effort required for digging into valuable domain names.

This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Great help...The reverse whois what I am looking for my current project of finding prospective buyers.
Thanks again for sharing this

•••
•••
Great guide, but I can't seem to work out whether Domain Monitor is free or not, and I don't want to sign up to yet another company without knowing for sure that it's free.

•••
Never mind, I just realised that this is essentially an ad, with all recommended products coming from the same site.

•••
•••
Great tools, Thanks for sharing

•••
And this tool give all extensions registered or free for a particular domain:
Domains Availability Checker
- Checks how many gTLDs, ccTLDs, nTLDs are registered for a particular domain name.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back