IT.COM

3 letter domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm looking at a 3 letter.com. It's not generic, rather a typo of a word. Overture counts 90 searches with extension in october. What would you think it would sell for?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
3-letter .com's are currently priced at at least $1,000, even for the ugly combinations. If your target domain has an obvious use, it should be worth much more. I've seen good 3-letter .com's go for more than $10,000 at afternic.

•••
I really am not sure about this one. If it'd go for $1,000, I would already have bought it. The owner asks 3,000 for this one though. It's not generic but a typo of a 'soft' adult word.

The recent sale of gya.com for only 1,000 made me a little cautious.

•••
Rhesus said:
I really am not sure about this one. If it'd go for $1,000, I would already have bought it. The owner asks 3,000 for this one though. It's not generic but a typo of a 'soft' adult word.

I wouldn't consider a 3L domain of any combo a misstype, but an acronym. maybe it'll get some misstypes, but it's real value is probably more as a short acronym.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
Rhesus said:

I wouldn't consider a 3L domain of any combo a misstype, but an acronym. maybe it'll get some misstypes, but it's real value is probably more as a short acronym.
i agree

•••
Yes I completely agree on the mistype thing, I just added the information.

•••
How can a three letter .com not be generic (whatever the combination). An acronym, surely by definition, is generic??

•••
collieri said:
How can a three letter .com not be generic (whatever the combination). An acronym, surely by definition, is generic??
some combinations such as QKW or something is hard to make an acronym with

•••
1rrr1 said:
some combinations such as QKW or something is hard to make an acronym with

QKW -
Quality Kid Website!

•••
Queens and Kings etc etc etc etc. Any 3 letter combo could stand for hundreds of acronyms!

•••
Of course one can make acronyms, it has to have some sense too though

•••
It only has to make sense to show youre not acting in bad faith...!

The point is, a UK company British Telecom, of course did the honourable thing and chose to negotiate its ownership of BT.com instead of trying to say that the original owner was acting in bad faith.

Thats the whole point and the reason that 3 letter .com s are worth so much now is because they are pretty much immune from actions against the owner.

If you own britishtelecom.com then you lose if you have BT.com then you win. End of.

•••
collieri said:
Thats the whole point and the reason that 3 letter .com s are worth so much now is because they are pretty much immune from actions against the owner.

I hope you are right, because I just received a UDRP filing on one of my 3-letter domains (although not .com). I'm pretty confident I'll win, because I have NOT acted in bad faith. I'll follow up in a month or so when I get a decision.

Also, even the letters many of us shy away from are not that uncommon worldwide. I personally don't mind a single Q in a 3L since it can be Quality, Quick, Quest, Query, or many other pretty good "Q" words. X and Z are a little more difficult but more popular in other languages. I did pick up some X domains that work as Roman numerals. With billions of people in the world, every combination is probably someone's initials. Others at availalbe can be made to be an acronym for a company that wants a short domain to create a name that could use an available one.

•••
I've had inquiries and have recieved offers of $500+ on 2 good, generic 2 consonant, w/ single vowel .biz's. My knee jerk reaction was to sell, but I didn't. At the moment, in todays market, that is a fair price, but I see a very bright future for this name group, as 3LL's become more coveted and .biz is viewed more as a member of the original group of the five major TLDs , and less as the outcast.

3LL and select 3 char names, (along w/ dictionary words), are acting more and more like the commodities in other markets, every day. :wave:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back