IT.COM

2016 Domain Predictions and Trends?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Muhammad Atif Qazi

Established Member
Impact
As we all saw, profited and went crazy over registrations towards the end of 2015. Experts said "We are not experts at the moment ". All because of the frenzy of NNNN, NNLLN, NNLNLNLNLNLNLNNLNLNNLNNLN.

What do you guys think will happen in 2016? Is the market going to slow down? Or remain like this crazy and letters & numbers in almost all popular TLDs disappear.

What should be the strategy going in towards 2016?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, I would say that the New gTLD is way better than the .COM and I will give you a good reason ...
Year after year internet connections are growing (by number of users) and year after year internet connections via mobile devices (smartphones, tablets etc ...) are growing even more ...
To type in a domain name on a mobile device is harder than on a computer or laptop.
There is where shorter domains are better than larger domains ...
So TradeDomains.com is 3 characteres longer than Trade.domains ....
which do you think will be better for mobile devices ???

Same thing for:

SexCam.com or Sex.cam ???
DataCenter.com or Data.center ???
VisualMarketing.com or Visual.marketing ???

I hear yah, you don't need to sell me. Although at this time .com is king!

The .com vs gtld debate has been discussed many times here, this thread isn't the place.

•••
my tablet has already on the keyboard one button ".com" ..this means something

•••
my tablet has already on the keyboard one button ".com" ..this means something

This is for older tech and is being phased out.

Anyways back to 2016 predictions!

•••
•••
•••
•••
Back in 2009, we were talking about a future .tel button.

LOL!!!!

•••
The new gTLD's are dead dogs. Let them drop and cut your losses. The registrars got greedy and charged insanely high prices for them and completely destroyed the market and future for them, out of simple greed. Instead of letting domainers market them and resell them, they wanted the money, and in turn charged high prices thus destroying that part of the market forever. Greed of the registrars destroyed gTLDS. I think most experienced domainers cringe at the very sight of them of the gTLDs.

•••
The new gTLD's are dead dogs. Let them drop and cut your losses. The registrars got greedy and charged insanely high prices for them and completely destroyed the market and future for them, out of simple greed. Instead of letting domainers market them and resell them, they wanted the money, and in turn charged high prices thus destroying that part of the market forever. Greed of the registrars destroyed gTLDS. I think most experienced domainers cringe at the very sight of them of the gTLDs.
Unless you are Frank Shilling ;)

•••
Unless you are Frank Shilling

Thats such a newbie comment to make, all worshiping people like Frank Schilling and Rick Schwartz, they have made a lot of bad investments as well...its easy to do that when you have lots of cash behind you ;)

•••
Thats such a newbie comment to make, all worshiping people like Frank Schilling and Rick Schwartz, they have made a lot of bad investments as well...its easy to do that when you have lots of cash behind you ;)
I think you took that context wrong... I just meant unless you are Frank Shilling as he owns many nGtld extentions and need them to sell...

•••

I agree with you on GTLD extension owner greediness and insane prices. But they are not dead dogs. GTLD registrars naturally will cut their annual renewal rates to survive and grow. They have to price their renewals below $10 to increase adoption. They will ... eventually. Extensions like .news, .tech make more sense than old .info, .mobi.

•••
I think you took that context wrong... I just meant unless you are Frank Shilling as he owns many nGtld extentions and need them to sell...

ok my apologies then, Frank has bought a lot of names in various extensions that have failed as well over the years...thats alI I was saying ;)

•••
My predictions:

Chinese premiums

Llll.com to settle @ 2500 base price
Llll.net trade with base price of $125

Keyword domains will get costlier for end users, as investors hold on to them longer on quick profits they made on chips and non chip 4l.coms

•••
Keyword domains will get costlier for end users, as investors hold on to them longer on quick profits they made on chips and non chip 4l.coms
One thing I noticed recently that some people are grabbing names like :

For example the letters QDCP translate into "Acne Products" in English.
Will it hold more value compared to just a combination of letters of LLLL.com/net/org/biz.

Can this be a future trend? I mean having letters which has meaning in Chinese (comprising of different LLL and LLLL combinations).

•••
of course it can be. But meanings have to be accurately verified and Google translator is just too poor as such to give a precise translation. You should rely on additional sources and preferibly to a chinese mother tongue as well

•••
accurately verified and Google translator

I am using this to translate https://translate.google.com.au/#zh-CN/en/fnqqr. I have made a list of names which I want to get. So I wanted advice from experts and its a gut feeling that It might end up in being a trend in 2016 and beyond. Plus it will be mainly 4L so if I translate it incorrectly I will still be able to get decent return on it.

So a 4L which has a solid meaning in Chinese is of more value than a random 4L domain (be it in .com/net/org/info). are there any sales to validate this and think of it in terms of a future trend per say ??

•••
Me and a couple of other people have been investing in Australian Premiums. I think they'll take off next year. I already have my share so it's ok to share that.

(symbols) .coms will be taking off. I mean stuff like $$$$.com. I have been noticing an increase in offers with those. I have some good ones. Everybody in the world knows $. F*$K.com is another one I have that gets offers. It has a star and a dollar sign which means good luck in Ireland. And the letters F and K are premium, everywhere. Symbols are symbolic and people like that stuff, especially girls and Hippies.

Last edited:
•••
Me and a couple of other people have been investing in Australian Premiums. I think they'll take off next year. I already have my share so it's ok to share that.
Wow, that's something unheard of mate. That's the main reason for creating this thread in the first place!

Awesome share again mate. Will try and get a couple of those. Any good sales yet of those?

•••

(symbols) .coms will be taking off. I mean stuff like $$$$.com. I have been noticing an increase in offers with those. I have some good ones. Everybody in the world knows $. F*$K.com is another one I have that gets offers. It has a star and a dollar sign which means good luck in Ireland. And the letters F and K are premium, everywhere. Symbols are symbolic and people like that stuff, especially girls and Hippies.

So now one can register * and $ in .com domains, or do you mean 8 and 4?

•••
1/2 of the speakers at Namecon, will turn out to be "con artists".

•••
•••
Domaining is about ROI (return on investment)
If you pay $5K for a domain and sit on it for years waiting for an end-user to pay you $10K that´s a low ROI and bad investment. Domaining is about selling for 10x, 50x or 100x what you paid for a domain; (& ASAP) NOT 2x

I just scanned to see if anyone replied to this... And they didn't.

Can't give this a pass. ;)
I mean... come on.

*This* statement is why perhaps rather than can call this China thing a bubble... maybe you can actually call "domaining" maturing after 20 years and domains turning out to be actual digitals asset.

For what it's worth, typical investors would be more than happy to hold an asset that would DOUBLE over "years".... perhaps up to 5 years or so.

I'm teetering on which way I think this is going... bubble or not. I've been here through the past domain bubbles and, IMHO, there's something a little different about this one. Obviously anything that rises quickly will correct. Bubbles tends to over-correct and never recover, though that's not entirely true as we previously saw the LLL .com and .net bubbles, which corrected and now most anyone who survived that many years long correction are loving it now.... Though people who bought just after the happiest.

But anyway... this NicMarket comment makes me wonder. If "traditional" investors were to come into "domaining" with even a slightly more realistic view than NM, this "bubble" could last a few years while actual global investors take hold of digital property in a way we've not seen before.

Who knows. ;)

•••
BTW, there certainly seems, for the past few months at least, to be a correlation to the price of BitCoin https://www.coinbase.com/charts to the price and activity of liquid names. The was a run up, then a drop and now it's picking back up again.

Interesting to watch how interest in "digital assets" as theme plays out in 2016.

•••
Everybody in the world knows $. F*$K.com is another one I have that gets offers. It has a star and a dollar sign which means good luck in Ireland.

* and $ good luck in Ireland ? you got to be joking.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back