Domain Empire

2016 Domain Predictions and Trends?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Muhammad Atif Qazi

Established Member
Impact
As we all saw, profited and went crazy over registrations towards the end of 2015. Experts said "We are not experts at the moment ". All because of the frenzy of NNNN, NNLLN, NNLNLNLNLNLNLNNLNLNNLNNLN.

What do you guys think will happen in 2016? Is the market going to slow down? Or remain like this crazy and letters & numbers in almost all popular TLDs disappear.

What should be the strategy going in towards 2016?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Ok, just my opinion folks, not interested in debating any of these points because you just registered GoogleAlphabetXYZ.xyz recently, its just how I see it...

1) LLL.com prices will continue to skyrocket

2) The LLLL.com bubble will burst once all the chinese own them all :D. What happens when the chinese
own them all?? Will domainers try and buy them back for $5K each, it won't happen but you will still get
some of the better ones being sold for good prices to end-users. The crappy random LLLL.com you see being bought for $2K will just sit there and waste away, there will obviously be a market between
investors/domainers for these names, but it wont make much of a difference to end-user sales. A crappy combination of letters will always be a crappy combination of letters, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it, the english language, keywords, acronyms etc all remain the same

3) Numeric names in .COM, .CN and .CO will continue to do well

4) 99% of the new gtld's threads on here will fade away when people realize there is no future for them,
except for a few sales in the beginning, dump the names you have now and keep your top few if you
really believe in the extension. Renewal time comes around really quickly and just work out renewal costs after your spending spree...Dont go and dont go and register every LLL, LL, LL-L, NN, NNN, NNNN, N-NN, NN-N in some strange GTLD's because you saw a NN.Services or NNN.guru sell on namebio for $5K,
these are freak sales and wont be happening a lot

•••
Numeric market stays strong and demand continues for good patterns

•••
Dont go and dont go and register every LLL, LL, LL-L, NN, NNN, NNNN, N-NN, NN-N in some strange GTLD's because you saw a NN.Services or NNN.guru sell on namebio for $5K,
I would have to partially disagree. Yes there are fewer sales for LLL or NNN in fewer known extensions but people will become aware of these extension mainly because of the combinations of numbers & letters. Then it will hold value. This could also take some time though.

Combinations (Ls &Ns) can be crucial in 2016!

And yes I would agree that going crazy over LLL & NNN in every extension with no combinations or meaning is totally futile. I have cnx.asia. I know people might think it is fulll of crap, but if you translate CNX into Chinese it means Cangnan County (which has 20 towns, 14 townships & 2 Nationality Townships). Its like a city(chinese).asia domain which makes perfect sense.

ngTLDs, I would agree fully, keep the good ones and let the rest expire.

•••
@Muhammad Atif Qazi

not interested in debating any of these points because you just registered GoogleAlphabetXYZ.xyz recently

As I said, everyone is allowed to disagree

•••
2015 saw unprecedented registration levels. 2016 will see unprecedented drop rates. The cream will survive of course but nothing will be safe from a sharp correction. Current registrations rates have fast outpaced end user demand.

Sure I may be wrong but it's such a fragile economy because all it will take to undo all the gains is one major buyout investor dropping a chunk of their porfolio. This will inevitably send a shockwave of nervy panic throughout the market. My guess is it will start with non chip 6n drops, then .net, org and .biz will all follow suit. The chips will keep value.

As renewal dates close in inventory is going to flood the market so I expect the beginning of the end will commence around August 2016.

Last edited:
•••
I will be rich and buy myself a bicycle.:$:

Seriously, tomcarl said it all. Amusing reading and many of his points will probably occur. :!:

•••
I would like to think of nGTLDs not just as "EXTENSIONS" like .mobi /.biz but as more proper URLs.
Like why would a business want to register "BayWatch.com" instead of "Bay.Watch", if available.

After all, a URL is just an address and adding ".com" is just a mental habit formed by about 20 years of marketing. By itself, "dot COM" is no different than "dot XYZ".

The newer generation would get used to these nGTLDs more than the old hat one.

Yes, same view.
Just add that the new extension '.top' is not comparable in this sense with the old ext. '.com' or the new ext. '.xyz' because 'TOP' is an (universal) meaningful additive / word while 'COM' / 'XYZ' are just 'universal' additives...

Last edited:
•••
AB-C.com CHIPS will be next trend on china:?:

•••
2016 people will realize 'endusers' are not developing long ass number included domains and their shine will dullen

2016 people will realize LLLL.com's move up in price is permanent, even with a correction.

2016 gTLD's Survive their renewal scare periods relatively easy.

2016 NamePros will Kick Ass

•••
AB-C.com CHIPS will be next trend on china:?:
What do Chinese people think about using dash? Do you have any info regarding this?

•••
Time will show..
When it was 2000-2005 , Have you ever imagine that LLL.com will be 30k- 75 K at 2015 ?
Domain was 30 usd at that years. And now 30k - 75 K in 10-15 years :)

•••
I think two words "KEYWORD domains" will increase in value.
Let's hope so. Some people are getting bed sores on their rear end waiting for those end users to "find" their domains. As for domains like 4 letter, it's no fun missing a good price rise. Unfortunately, some aren't taking it well.

I'm betting that you'll need boots with waders to travel through the bs that's going to be tossed out there in 2016.

Last edited:
•••
WW3 and everything is slowing down!

Or...

Any LLLL .com will worth $x,xxx+, CHIP LLLL .net $1,000+, LLL .com floor price $35,000+, 6N .com $550/each, LLL.co $500+, LNN, NLL, NNNL, LNNN LLNN NNLL Chip going for crazy prices!

The market will not crash

•••
So, with more boom in 2016... I become a Billionaire.Property lol.

•••
Ok, just my opinion folks, not interested in debating any of these points because you just registered GoogleAlphabetXYZ.xyz recently, its just how I see it...

1) LLL.com prices will continue to skyrocket

2) The LLLL.com bubble will burst once all the chinese own them all :D. What happens when the chinese
own them all?? Will domainers try and buy them back for $5K each, it won't happen but you will still get
some of the better ones being sold for good prices to end-users. The crappy random LLLL.com you see being bought for $2K will just sit there and waste away, there will obviously be a market between
investors/domainers for these names, but it wont make much of a difference to end-user sales. A crappy combination of letters will always be a crappy combination of letters, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it, the english language, keywords, acronyms etc all remain the same

3) Numeric names in .COM, .CN and .CO will continue to do well

4) 99% of the new gtld's threads on here will fade away when people realize there is no future for them,
except for a few sales in the beginning, dump the names you have now and keep your top few if you
really believe in the extension. Renewal time comes around really quickly and just work out renewal costs after your spending spree...Dont go and dont go and register every LLL, LL, LL-L, NN, NNN, NNNN, N-NN, NN-N in some strange GTLD's because you saw a NN.Services or NNN.guru sell on namebio for $5K,
Mmmm.... I don't agree that domainers won't try to get LLLL chip for $5K/each. I remember getting in the LLL .com market when the floor price was just above $5K... I think LLLL chip should sell above $10,000 to end users and for that reason investors will be willing to pay $5k for a LLLL chip.

•••
At some point, there will be a major news coverage on this. Then we will see tons of purchases and prices go through the roof.
^This

A lot of newcomers, from China and not only. Prices keep going up in waves, few corrections and market manipulation robbing noob lemmings out of the money. Names going from weak hands panicking at every market correction to manipulators. Domains becoming closer to stock market, professionals making money on regular basis, newcomers loosing money and interest fast and quit, new wave of fresh meat replacing them and cycle repeats.

- LLLL continue to rise and become premium after all Chinese 5L are bought out.
-End user companies start realizing that it's almost impossible to score 3L/4L domains in .com and .net, since most of them are taken by Chinese, that leads to continuous rise of short domains price and give chance to another TLDs to become liquid, (.co, .io, .by? )
- This leads to domain market become the thing of itself and don't need end-users no more. Domains trading on base of rarity more and more.
-Short and numeric domains continue dominate the market, EMD/keywords keep loosing value, traffic importance growing.

•••
A lot of newcomers, from China and not only. Prices keep going up in waves, few corrections and market manipulation robbing noob lemmings out of the money. Names going from weak hands panicking at every market correction to manipulators. Domains becoming closer to stock market, professionals making money on regular basis, newcomers loosing money and interest fast and quit, new wave of fresh meat replacing them and cycle repeats.

- LLLL continue to rise and become premium after all Chinese 5L are bought out.
-End user companies start realizing that it's almost impossible to score 3L/4L domains in .com and .net, since most of them are taken by Chinese, that leads to continuous rise of short domains price and give chance to another TLDs to become liquid, (.co, .io, .by? )
- This leads to domain market become the thing of itself and don't need end-users no more. Domains trading on base of rarity more and more.
-Short and numeric domains continue dominate the market, EMD/keywords keep loosing value, traffic importance growing.

Interesting. I agree with most of said predictions.

•••
The problem with NGLTD, which I personaly experimented ... is that Most people, not domainers or Marketing guys, don't understand the meaning of them ... Everbody knows that words ending with a .com, a .net are links... So they know they have to click on it or go on Internet.

I had to face this situation many times since I'm in the business ... I had to convinced people that (for example) Baywatch.com and Bay.Watch are the same... It's a link, a website, much better and shorter... But most endbuyers don'T understand the advantage of having such a shorter name... and they simply don'T see as a link !

Actually, they don't understand that in the future, 2 words with a "dot" in between will be links ...

According to my experience, it will take a long time before people get educated with these new GTLDs...
You are absolutely right, but this situation will change over the next years ...
You´ll see how more and more end-users will adopt New gTLDs and how .COM & .NET will loose terrain ...
What is better: TradeDomains.com or Trade.domains ???

•••
You are absolutely right, but this situation will change over the next years ...
You´ll see how more and more end-users will adopt New gTLDs and how .COM & .NET will loose terrain ...
What is better: TradeDomains.com or Trade.domains ???

They complement each other! .com for obvious reasons and the gtld for email and sub extension potential.

Having both allows the seller to build more value during the negotiation process imo.

•••
They complement each other! .com for obvious reasons and the gtld for email and sub extension potential.

Having both allows the seller to build more value during negotiation process imo.
Well, I would say that the New gTLD is way better than the .COM and I will give you a good reason ...
Year after year internet connections are growing (by number of users) and year after year internet connections via mobile devices (smartphones, tablets etc ...) are growing even more ...
To type in a domain name on a mobile device is harder than on a computer or laptop.
There is where shorter domains are better than larger domains ...
So TradeDomains.com is 3 characteres longer than Trade.domains ....
which do you think will be better for mobile devices ???

Same thing for:

SexCam.com or Sex.cam ???
DataCenter.com or Data.center ???
VisualMarketing.com or Visual.marketing ???

•••
I don't care what happens as long as the .money and .IO extensions flourish I have a bunch of both :-$

I think the medical marijuana movement moves forward making domains dealing with that topic more popular, maybe the same goes for drones and the drone hobby

•••
I don't care what happens as long as the .money and .IO extensions flourish I have a bunch of both :-$
About .IO I don´t know as that is a ccTLD ...
Regarding .MONEY be sure that good names will bring good ROI ...
(Transfer.money = $90,000 USD after 2 - 3 months from registration)

We own: Message.money & Encrypted.money :$::$::$::$::$::$:

•••
•••
Mmmm.... I don't agree that domainers won't try to get LLLL chip for $5K/each. I remember getting in the LLL .com market when the floor price was just above $5K... I think LLLL chip should sell above $10,000 to end users and for that reason investors will be willing to pay $5k for a LLLL chip.
Domaining is about ROI (return on investment)
If you pay $5K for a domain and sit on it for years waiting for an end-user to pay you $10K that´s a low ROI and bad investment. Domaining is about selling for 10x, 50x or 100x what you paid for a domain; (& ASAP) NOT 2x

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back