Dynadot

1and1.com HATER...AAAACCCKK!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So before I knew anything about anything, I regged a ton of names with 1and1.com. Everytime I reg a name at 1and1.com, I think I'm putting it on my card. Well apparently this is not the case at 1and1.com.

Nearly four months ago, 10/06/06 to be exact, I get an email from 1and1.com that my card had a problem. I looked into it and indeed there was a problem. I could only spend x per day on that particular card. So, I replied for 1and1.com to do exactly that and let me know if there was still a problem. No response. Nothing. I think all is fine and well with the world.

Today I get a collections letter from 1and1.com for every name I have ever bought from 1and1.com! Worse, I go to check out my 1and1.com account...LOCKED! No notice, nothing. I was just in my 1and1.com account last week. No 1and1.com notifications to read, NOTHING!

So I emailed them just now to ask WTF? I hope they respond quicker than four months. I am going to call 1and1.com at this moment too.

Just in case another newbie is drawn in by that 1and1.com low price, don't do it kid! Run! They are evil...evil....imho

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Where are they located? If in the USA, write a letter to BBB (Better Business Bureau). I have heard horror stories for just about everyone who has dealt with 1and1. I hope things can get figured out. Keep us updated.

•••
1and1 is a major pain in the butt to push or transfer or when there is a financial issue. You can sell through them, but it's a bear to get it all worked out on their side to authorize the transfer, including faxing them, etc. I've sold a couple with the help of Sedo, that has a relationship with them, but have never sold any that weren't through them.

To me, 1and1.com seems to be only decent when you plan to do a long term domain name for yourself, not to sell it or anything. And even that, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I had a credit card issue with them when I changed cards, but did get it worked out in time to avoid my account being locked.

So, they say now that you cannot get your domains at all? Something wrong with that. Perhaps you should report them to ICANN.

•••
movingconcierge said:
So before I knew anything about anything, I regged a ton of names with 1and1.com. Everytime I reg a name at 1and1.com, I think I'm putting it on my card. Well apparently this is not the case at 1and1.com.

Nearly four months ago, 10/06/06 to be exact, I get an email from 1and1.com that my card had a problem. I looked into it and indeed there was a problem. I could only spend x per day on that particular card. So, I replied for 1and1.com to do exactly that and let me know if there was still a problem. No response. Nothing. I think all is fine and well with the world.

Today I get a collections letter from 1and1.com for every name I have ever bought from 1and1.com! Worse, I go to check out my 1and1.com account...LOCKED! No notice, nothing. I was just in my 1and1.com account last week. No 1and1.com notifications to read, NOTHING!

So I emailed them just now to ask WTF? I hope they respond quicker than four months. I am going to call 1and1.com at this moment too.

Just in case another newbie is drawn in by that 1and1.com low price, don't do it kid! Run! They are evil...evil....imho

Moaning and whining about it is not going to help your situation one iota. Far better to deal with your problem: you owe them about $1200. Do not think complaing to whomever is going to help b/c they do NOT care.
And even the Better Business Bureau would take their side. It's all in the agreement.
Whether or not they sent the notification thru the post is one of those things that both parties can argue about...but in the end has no bearing on the result.
What? So just b/c you didn't get all the notifications, you somehow don't have to pay?

I agree 1and1 are not the most user friendly registrar and are known to terminate the WHOLE a/c for even non-payment of $5.99...but how were you "screwed"?
Sure they have some funny batch processing billing system...but the fact still remains you have 200 domains unpaid for.

A word of advice: read the small print of the T & C specifically about locking the account for non-payment... and eventual termination 14 days after you get the collections letter if still unpaid. All domains will be lost. Forever.

Solution: Find $1200 quickly.

•••
Listen, I was totally paid up. I reg'd some domains and thought I would give 1&1's hosting a whirl to see what they were like. Crap, was the answer to that question!

I thought I'd kick off with the templated website builder. It worked ... for about 2 or 3 edits and then refused to work again so I had a domain and a website with lorem this is crapum all over it. No amount of dealings with 1&1's no-help service got me anywhere. I was advised to ... wait for it ... shut down my firewall. WTF?! Are they serious? Apparently they were. Unless I wanted to 'upgrade' then that was the end of that!

I'd coughed up £10 (about $17) for the domain name (yeah, I know. Way overpriced) and a further £23 (about $50) for hosting I was never able to use. I wasn't asking much from the hosting -- only that I could do a run-through and place a few pages on the net. No SSI necessary. I was simply sussing them out.

I wasn't going to through go money after bad so that was the end of it as far as I was concerned. I would transfer the domains I wanted away from them when I got around to it and let the ones I wasn't bothered about lapse.

My big mistake.

1&1 having the perverted system they have in place when it comes to lapsing domains, wanted it in writing, faxed or by snail-mail. I'd forgotten all about that sneaky line from the terms and conditions.

Move several months down the road and a letter drops through the box from a debt collections agency. Unbeknownst to me, 1&1 had been billing the credit card, which had max'd out since it was a limited exposure one, and was busily renewing the domains I wanted to allow to lapse. No number of emails or phone calls would cancel those renewals. My account was also frozen.

I sent three snail-mail letters, all posted from different post boxes in different towns, to 1&1. I gave the letters time to get there and followed up with a telephone call. As I suspected I would be, I was told, "We don't have your letter"

"Bulls*t!" I replied and proceeded to explain that I had sent three copies from three separate towns all posted on the same day. Funnily enough, they soon 'managed to find' my letter. Meh.

Don't go near 1&1 'cause they suck big time.

(Note: this is the abridged version)

•••
It is worth noting that sedo is owned by the same company as 1+1 and that sedo has a link to 1+1 if you want to buy a name through sedo.

•••
I was searching NP to find out about 1and1's so-called "free" .info registration when I found this topic. Thanks for finalizing my decision to skip the "deal" ;)

Last year I lost two domains (one .tv too, so it was around a $40 loss) because of their shitty customer service, and after reading about everyone else's problems with them as well, I too have decided never to use them again.

•••
I haven't dealt w/ Netsol in over a year, so I'm not up to date w/ their current procedures but speaking from past experience, they were not the easiest of registrars to manage names with so if you cut your teeth w/ them, chancs are you were a little more prepared to deal w/ 1and1 than someone who was brought up on GoDaddy, for instance. That may have something to do w/ your comfort w/ the 1and1 system.

Because of being active in the drop market, I have had occassion to have dealings w/ close to 50 registrars and I have experienced the good, the bad and beyond the ugly.

I have close to 1200 names and currently about 1,000 of them have been registerd at or transferred to enom. I can push a name, (or 1,000 names w/ a bulk edit), to another account in less than the time it has taken me to type this sentence. I can change the DNS for all of my names w/ 3 clicks after typing the nameserver urls into 2 boxes. To transfer one of my names from another registrar, into my account, I: 1) initiate transfer, 2) follow a link on a confirmation email and 3) as soon as I receive an email from the outgoing registrar I am done or, (depending upon the outgoing registrar), after I accept the transfer and as soon as the outgoing registrar releases the name I am done and the name lands in my account. Wham-bam. No faxes, no signatures and no ID verification. Beyond security, a good registrar is all about ease of operation and conservation of time and energy from my point of biew. Money is important, but is next in line on my priority list. BTW, I pay $6.95 for registrations and $7.95 for transfers and get occasional discounts on .infos etc, when promotions come up.

1and1 doesn't come anywhere near offerring the kind of name management features that I have come to expect. Relative to what is available from other registrars, 1and1 doesn't even get out of the starting blocks. They are designed in such a way as to make many management features tedious for their users and they are the only registrar that I know of that doesn't offer links from their main page or from the account CP to enable the customer direct access to common management functions such as transfers, pushes or cancellations of names from their accounts. It is as if this registrar has lost sight of who owns and, ultimately, controls the status of domains names that just happen to be registered w/ them. They are control freaks. Their obsession to hide information and normal name management functions that would not work to their advantage, is so extreme that they actually require customers to log into a seperate subdomain to perform commonplace name management functions.

If you know the interface, have a small to medium-small portfolio and don't mind the inconvenience of not being able to make global changes or perform bulk edits, 1and1 might work for you and, at least, give you the illusion that you are working with a good interface. If it works for your needs and you are happy with what you have, far be it from me to discourage you from staying w/ them. If your situation changes somewhere down the line and you feel the need to streamline and spend less time w/ name management chores, consider using an alternative registrar.

Last edited:
•••
Etab said:
True, but not all newbies need to use advanced features of the domain, or buying/selling the domain.

I called 1&1 this morning, wasted 10 minutes on my cell phone bill (25 cents/minute). Aparently 1&1 locked my account because of a billing issue, which I don't understand since the domain was paid for in August 2004 and August 2005. I'm supposed to call billing tomorrow between 9 AM and 5 PM EST. All I want for them is to send an email to the admin account of the domain asking if I want to unlock it, then I'd confirm it and be happy. I think it's unreasonable to lock my account for something that's paid for...

if you have pushed the domain to another 1+1 account then there is a charge for this.

•••
Did it say, "to learn more about 1 & 1 Internet Serivces, Inc., visit 1hate1and1.com" That just kills me...that 1and1.com actually have registered ihate1and1.com... What kind of a business statement is that? Self-loathing idiots..

•••
I just somehow knew that you'd show up...1and1 sounds like your cup of tea...How's the hurricane katrina profit fund going, andriegel? Did you raise a ton of money? And thanks for bringing 1and1 to the masses with your reseller program. I'm sure everyone is just as happy as you are...

You're right again about me. I just like to cause trouble. I like to call people out when they profit from natural disasters like hurricane katrina and coincidentally, 1and1, the devil themselves. Back to the bat cave with you...

Here are a few choice words from andriegel
[...]but there is always profit related to Disasters.

[...]Oh, and by the way: My site http://katrinablog.org is for sale to the highest and best use.

If you are a sole proprietor in the domain name or web arena, you ARE a bottom feeder. I'm just not affraid to admit it. In capitalism, you have to "whore yourself to the man" in one way or another. I'm 100% self employed- I call my own shots. But you know what? I still have to occasionally "whore myself to the man" to accomplish the mission. One day, when I am making money soley from investments, domain name speculation and affiliate sales, I will no longer have to "whore myself", but I will still be a bottom feeder.

It looks like you're whoring yourself right here trying to defend the worst company most have ever dealt with. You're just as offensive as I remember.

Last edited:
•••
I recently tried transferring some names out of 1and1. The .com and .net names transferred just fine - no hassle, no need for an authorization code, no phone calls to 1and1. I then tried two .us names. These require an authorization code, but checking out the FAQ on 1and1 I found out the authorization codes are available from your control panel. Sure enough they were there and the transfer went just fine. I can't speak for everyone but my two transfers went just fine.

When it comes to ccTLDs however, the authorization codes are NOT available on the control panel and I assume one would have to call support :'( to get them. Haven't tried that yet, though.

Also, please don't interpret my experience as an endorsement of 1and1. I am in the process of moving everything I have out of there. If you're planning to resell domains, definitely, definitely stay away from 1and1.

Last edited:
•••
Interesting Thread! About two weeks i did not know what a Domain Name was. I started with Godaddy to get a name for my ebay site and saw people selling "Domain Names" wow what is this..so i just jumped into it. I'm very very glad i found this place. I went looking around for cheaper Domain places.. I found 1and1.com. Basically i skipped anyone without a phone number that i could talk to somebody..well, they had a phone number and i called them and talked with the tech support. I signed up and all the tech support at first spoke very good english. Maybe 3-4 phone calls--no problems--they seemed to answer all my Newbie questions..Great...about $3.00 & change for hosting, 3 free Domains .com's and $5.99 per .com "The home Package" and 60GB space with the package. Free Private if i choose, "the Website Builder!!" which is what really turned me on--FREE and some other good stuff. Then i found they were part of Sedo or Affiliated with them so i thought..o.k. good.

(Before i make a purchase) Question to 1and1 tech support. I'm a newbie and i want to put Arcade Game scripts on to my site..what do i do ect... ect.. speaking good english he tells me no problem-- that i should get the Linux Hosting for doing things like that and i'm set! (i think)-- $5.99 .com, FREE Website builder!, and great tech support!! :hehe: , :bingo: I'm :sold: .

So i go ahead and purchase a MyGameScript with installation..The Script guy asks me for access to the cpanel to install it...He can't get to it. I call 1and1.com and BOOM, uhh uuhh sir, we can't do that, The Website builder won't allow the arcade scripts, third party scripts?? :'( :-/ 8-X :ghost: I sat on the phone with my mouth open dying a slow newbie death.
The same thing happened tyring to put a forum on my website, using their website builder, i was(am) having trouble with that i gave(give) up!--after 4 or 5 tech support calls and one of them was about 2 1/2 hours long of which 75% was bieng put on hold and none of the support spoke good english at all or fixed the problem. One of the tech told me that the forum was limited so i asked if i could download the free phpbb and then put that on the site---nope!..I'm wondering why the first calls were perfect english and the other calls were not?
So my little problems( which may be my fault?? for bieng a newbie) and reading this post is making me think a little more about 1and1.
I believe the people from Sedo post here but i did not see any post concearning clearing any confusion--then again i don't really know what part they play with 1and1, so i'm really too new to say anything concrete about anything but my eyebrowse are beginning to raise :|
:notme: it was 1and1.com.....

•••
My correspondence with their billing department:
email said:
Dear x
Thank you for contacting us.

We usually ask for the confirmation from the customer as that helps expedite the process for you, but I have forwarded the verification request to the proper dept so that they can verify the payment and unlock it within 1-3 business day.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely
Christopher Flagg
Billing Department
1&1 Internet Inc.

You can also contact us via phone at (877) 300-8316 from 9am till 5pm EST Monday to Friday

> "Thank you for contacting us." Are you serious? You are not going to
get
> the warm fuzzies from me. Just please do your job efficiently and
we'll
> part ways quickly, OK? 1-3 days to unlock my account... it's like my
> account is in a time lock safe or something. What a joke.
>
> I went through this crap last time, sigh... NCO does do not give me
the
> confirmation number. They give you the confirmation number! Your
customers
> are not your employees. Do your own work.
>
> It's actually insult to injury to act so slow as to cause my names to
be
> trapped in your web, then charge me late and collection fees, then
make me
> do the leg work. It's like paying for the bullet that you shoot me
with.
>
> Please contact your collections agency and confirm I've paid, unlock
my
> account, and then notify me when it's complete like any normal company
would
> do. Jees...just hurry up and do your job.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 7:15 AM
> To: x> Subject: x - 1&1 Internet Inc. Billing Re: account x
>
> Dear x>
> Thank you for contacting us.
>
> Please give me the confirmation number NCO gave you for payment so I
can
> have it forwarded to the proper dept so it can be verified and your
> account will be unlocked within 1-3 business days.
>
> If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.
>
> --
> Sincerely
> Christopher Flagg
> Billing Department
> 1&1 Internet Inc.
>
> You can also contact us via phone at (877) 300-8316 from 9am till 5pm
> EST Monday to Friday
>
> > Attention Billing:
> >
> >
> >
> > I have paid your ransom, once again, to NCO Financial more than a
week
> ago.
> > Why is my account locked still? Are we going to go through the
same
> crap
> > again?
> >
> >
> >
> >

Can you believe they sent me a survey? :laugh:

survey said:
The only two things you are consistent in are shitty service and checking how your clients feel about it.

You are pathetically slow and deliberately vague in your terms. You are anti-consumer in your billing and trade practices. You are indifferent to what your clients say about it.

I blog every occurence of bullshit that I encounter with 1&1. That blog is approaching 10,000 views (rounded up :) )and had nearly 200 comments.

I will be much smarter next renewal time and start the transfer a month in advance since your crew it too stupid and slow to get it done any faster.

You suck.

•••
•••
You all can read my posts about 1and1, I hate them with a passion. They are worth out doubt one the worst companies EVER. Not just for domain companies, ANY. They are the worst beyond belief.

•••
Join the club, 1and1 attract newbies in some PC mags, but well, they are nothing but hell.

•••
•••
Spoke with (and recorded) my conversation with 1and1.com

I cant post the audio cause Benjamin did not release it...Oh well, I have it to refer to...Here is the crux of the recorded conversation:

--> 1and1.com said they emailed an invoice on 09/11
--> 1and1.com did send me an email on 10/06 about my card problems
--> I replied to thier 10/06 email, but 1and1.com says they never got it
--> 1and1.com said they sent out a collections warning letter on 10/11 which I did not receive and they cannot reproduce it in any fashion.
--> The collections warning letter states (according to benjamin) that I have seven days in which to pay or my account would be locked. Funny, I think I accessed my account last week? They could not produce a log of my access log either...funny
--> Their company policy is to email requests for payment only once. After that, a collections warning email is sent 7 days following. You have 7 days in which to act. That is their only notice to you.
--> They do not send any paper notices whatsoever.
--> The underwhelming concern in ben's voice was palpable...

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT 1AND1.COM IS AN ANTI-CONSUMER, DISORGANIZED, NON-RESPONSIVE REGISTRAR. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BUY ANYTHING FROM 1AND1.COM - YOU WILL REGRET IT! Sorry for shouting...

<end of purge>

•••
wut up Fonz.

fonzie_007 said:
Where are they located? If in the USA, write a letter to BBB (Better Business Bureau). I have heard horror stories for just about everyone who has dealt with 1and1. I hope things can get figured out. Keep us updated.

I regged all my newbie names there in Nov. I wonder if I was to attempt to sell would I have to put up with all the bs (not .net)!

:yell:

•••
Sounds like they are garbage. I am happy that I never have used them.

•••
•••
It's funny that you mention ICANN and 1and1.com

In my last email to 1and1.com I copied ICANN and I filed a formal complaint against 1and1.com with ICANN for their improper notification and locking of my account.

You should hear the recording of this unfeeling drone of guy on the phone...All he could say was "SIR, YOU PURCHASED 200 DOMAIN NAMES. YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM." duh...I thought I already did. This is the first I heard of it you virtual burger flipper...

I went to the PA BBB site to see if 1&1 Internet Services, Inc. was a member...guess what, they're not...

So I got a X,XXX bill in the mail that I have to pay all at once in order to get to my domains. 1&1 Internet Services, Inc. are domain hijackers.

I really don't like that Sedo and 1&1 Internet Services, Inc. are corporate and financial partners. I wish I had more of a presence at Sedo and they'd feel a sting when I pull my 500 names from their parking service over this. But, truth be told, they are not pulling in big bucks and Sedo will probably give the same middle finger that 1&1 Internet Services, Inc. gives their customers.

f**k 1&1 Internet Services, Inc. and f**k sedo too.

jesus christ...listen to me. I'm like an open wound....I need a beer to cry in to... :'(

•••
Talk with a lawyer, threaten to sue IF you have grounds to do so. That might get their attention.

•••
re: PokertheSeries.com

Was the first name I regged with them. Check this thread out!

As you can see the whole thread I have hid nothing out. But guess what I had that name stolen.

http://namepros.com/showthread.php?t=144791&highlight=pokertheseries.com

Dear Calvin,

Thank you for your purchase! This message is to inform you that your
order has
been received and will be processed shortly.

Your account is being processed for $8.85. You will receive an account
setup confirmation within the next 24 hours with instructions on how to
access your account. If you have any questions regarding this invoice,
please feel free to contact us at [email protected]. We appreciate your
business and look forward to a great relationship!

Thank You,

The iPower Team

ORDER SUMMARY
-------------

Domain Registration........... $2.95
pokertheseries.com
pokertheseries.net
pokertheseries.org
Sales Date.............. 2005/12/02 10:59:18

Total Price............. $8.85
Card Type............... vi

Business Name............
First Name.............. Calvin
Last Name............... Washington
Street Address.......... 427 Miles Jackson Road
City.................... Palmyra
State................... VA
Zip Code................ 22963
Country................. US
Phone Number............ 434-589-4529
Fax......................
Email Address........... [email protected]

Yeah they got me good. Took my money and said sianara! :td:

Funny thing is it was was a good domain

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back