IT.COM

advice 1500 $20 closeout names or premium 100 $300 names

NameSilo
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
which one would you go for or mix of both when building your portfolio for long term.

and what STR per year would you expect to take back your 30k investment?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Not sure if domains buyed for $300 are premium domains. And it is very tight line between $20 and $300 price. If nobody see the domain you will buy it for $20,or $60 if you are using dropcatch service. If you are biding with someone, the price go up, and in 90% in biding will be included hugh domains or other bidders which are "overpaying" domains. Premium domains are domains which you pay over $1k with properly knowledge.

Last edited:
•••
I would rather have 300 $100 names. That is a good point where you start to see quality improve

In reality, a mix of everything from average to great works best. There can be good values in any price range.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Fwiw my only 4 figure sale since starting in September has been a name I acquired on dynadot auctions for around $380 which I eventually settled on selling for $3500.

I have bought several for under $100 but I'm learning why those went so cheap. Selling those for 500-1000 is probably doable but idk that its worth the effort.

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind that $11 closeout domains and $300 GoDaddy auction domains are not very far apart in terms of quality and value.

•••
A tough one for me, I sell a lot of cherry picked domains from closeout (or similar price) into four figure range. If time spent searching was not an issue I'd probably go with closeouts because I can (in most cases) buy the ones I'll at least get my money back on.

•••
Sometimes "premium" are the same or worse than "close-out" domains or even hand reg, it's all about the potential end-users.

•••
Domaining is one of the few industries where cost does not limit quality. Meaning, you can find amazing names for less if you can be at the right place and the right time. This timing of acquisition has more to do than what base cost you bought a domain.

I've spent $32 and made $5,500 because the timing was spot on.

I've spent $375 and still have the domain.

If you have a firm budget, stay fluid with your acquisitions. Don't limit your market view to a few marketplaces because that's where you think value may be. Happy hunting!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back