Dynadot

auctions 100M+ Company value let there domain expired

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lonelynet

Established Member
Impact
Show attachment How-Wadi-Com-Started-V2.2.webp

in 2015 wadi.com started as an ecommerce marketplace , with the backing of Rocket Internet . Wadi.com was headquartered in Dubai, selling products in UAE & Saudi with a focus on the Saudi market. It had raised $67 million in the largest Series A (to date) secured by a startup in MENA. Al Tayyar had invested about $33.3 million at a valuation of $100 million, acquiring 33% stake in the company.

in 2018 the platform had pivoted to online groceries , a few month later Majid alfutaim (MAF) that owns and operates French hypermarket Carrefour in the region, invested 30 million dollar .

in 2019 Majid Al Futtaim Company has acquired the Saudi online grocery delivery platform. there is no details about the price

in 2020 wadi.com completely shuts down without any announcement .

source

Do you think the company really forget to renew there domain or they just not interested ,

Please do share your thoughts and opinion in this story

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Show attachment 226715

in 2015 wadi.com started as an ecommerce marketplace , with the backing of Rocket Internet . Wadi.com was headquartered in Dubai, selling products in UAE & Saudi with a focus on the Saudi market. It had raised $67 million in the largest Series A (to date) secured by a startup in MENA. Al Tayyar had invested about $33.3 million at a valuation of $100 million, acquiring 33% stake in the company.

in 2018 the platform had pivoted to online groceries , a few month later Majid alfutaim (MAF) that owns and operates French hypermarket Carrefour in the region, invested 30 million dollar .

in 2019 Majid Al Futtaim Company has acquired the Saudi online grocery delivery platform. there is no details about the price

in 2020 wadi.com completely shuts down without any announcement .

source

Do you think the company really forget to renew there domain or they just not interested ,

Please do share your thoughts and opinion in this story

If it shut down in 2020 then it seems nobody cared to watch the domain name anymore and thus has expired.
The auction is going very well at $33,833 right now, it's a great domain on its own, but with its history even more valuable.

Last edited:
•••
If it shut down in 2020 then it seems nobody cared to watch the domain name anymore and thus has expired.
The auction is going very well at $33,833 right now, it's a great domain on its own, but with its history even more valuable.

Show attachment 226716

But there app still in the play store with more then 1 million downloads

Screenshot_20221110_005727_Google Play Store.jpg

•••
Last edited:
•••
They weren't using the domain anymore, seems it was for sale or just parked looking at their history on archive.org:

wayback.png

Last edited:
•••
They weren't using the domain anymore, seems it was for sale or just parked looking at their history on archive.org:

Show attachment 226718

You are right , but do you think multi billions company like Majid alfuttaim (MAF) , who acquired the wadi.com looking to sale there domain . something is not right , when you spend millions in somthing and you let it go that easy

•••
You are right , but do you think multi billions company like Majid alfuttaim (MAF) , who acquired the wadi.com looking to sale there domain . something is not right , when you spend millions in somthing and you let it go that easy
I don't believe they put it up for sale, it may have been an automatic lander of the registrar. Either way, they should remove the app too if they are not active anymore.

Edit: just looked at their app on Google Play, they seem to have been active, but only one review in 2022, and only a few in 2021.

Last edited:
•••
Goes to show how there are many people out there, venture capitalists and successful entrepreneurs included, that lack a full understanding of domain names

•••
Wadi.com e-commerce marketplace in Saudi Arabia
Wadi.com not only short cvcv brand domain, but it's mean Valley in Arabic Language.
I don't think that the marketplace still working
You can see last post in there twitter handle in 2019 saying النهاية which mean (the end).

*** project twitter handle @wadi Verified account.
*** In the twitter.com/wadi bio: an Arabic sentence mean in English:
Thank you for your support and trust throughout our journey, we are sorry that we stopped serving you.

Last edited:
•••
By the way if you visit wadi.com and you have ublock origin you will see a blank page, disable the adblock for that domain to get the link to the auctions

•••
Looks like it is easily getting 40k at this rate , tells me Wibbets.com should go for at least 10k if available.

•••
•••
•••
Looks like it is easily getting 40k at this rate , tells me Wibbets.com should go for at least 10k if available.

Back under a new account again Jason?

•••
Closed at $33,833

In my opinion a great price for the winner if he willing to rebuild and develop it as soon as possible because the name can get attention so fast easily specially in middle east otherwise it will be forgotten

•••
In my opinion a great price for the winner if he willing to rebuild and develop it as soon as possible because the name can get attention so fast easily specially in middle east otherwise it will be forgotten
Common guys we have a political USA thread if you wish to spam beyond

•••
Back under a new account again Jason?
Not sure who Jason is but clearly we disagree on brandable value. Appreciate the reply though.

•••
Not sure who Jason is but clearly we disagree on brandable value. Appreciate the reply though.

You know, Jason. The CEO of Wibbets inc. (wibbets.com).

You should look him up (Facebook, press releases, twitter, nP search) and you'll find a remarkable resemblance between the domains you own and the ones he owne(s/d).

•••
Well this is a coincidence..... I follow @dubaifuture on Twitter. It is an official account of the nation of Dubai focused on big technology for the nation. I was watching a video they posted.... it was in Arabic but it was about clean energy and autonomous units and they only word I made out was Wadi then stumbled on this thread and saw the name had dropped... so perhaps a play in that direction lies in the future?

•••
Back