Domain Empire

new gtlds Tucows gets $1.5 million for marketing .Online domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Tucows’ withdraw from a partnership to run the .Online registry has resulted in a $1.5 million gain for the company in return for lending marketing support to the new TLD for three years.
The domain name registrar had formed a partnership with Radix and NameCheap to go after the .online top level domain name. The parties ended the partnership earlier this year, allowing Radix to own the top level domain name by itself.
In February 2015, the Company waived its rights under the formerly proposed joint venture to operate the .online registry and instead entered into a Joint Marketing agreement with its venture partners under which its original capital contributions have been returned and a set of go-forward marketing arrangements have been created instead. These marketing arrangements have resulted in the Company receiving a gain of $1.5 million, which will be recognized evenly over the three-year term of the marketing agreement once .online is generally available.
Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Having marketing is good and all. But I predict that .online will only do as well as .space did. In a way, some of these nGTLDs just seem like throwbacks to the 1990s for nostalgic gen-xers.....

<insertanyname>.website
My.Space
AOL.Online

•••
I think .online have more potential than .space, but still can't beat old gtld.

newspaper.com
newspaper.online
newspaper.space

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back